Need boots suggestions.

Cheech

Yup, I is here. Good info so far, thanks to everyone. Besides doing some outside work like shoveling driveway, I'd like to have a good boot for outdoor activities that may or may not involve snow, but I recognize that higher is better for snow activities as boots aren't waterproof from the top down, only from the sides in.

So a few things to ask yourself.

Are you going to be hiking/walking in them long distances. (i.e. weight and support)

What is your primary usage environement. (hot, cold, wet, muddy, combination)

Insulated? if so, what weight.

Unless you are outdoors for long periods of time in wet/snowy conditions, you would probably just want a decent all weather boot.

Summer and warmer weather boots should be lighter and better for breathing,

Winter boots should be waterproof and have insulation. how much insulation depends on usage. you'll need less insulation if you will be walking in them allot as you will stay warmer but I have 1000g thinsulate in mine because Im hunting in them and may be sitting still for 5+ hrs in 0-15 degree temps.

Tread - Get something that will be good for your usage.

Whatever you end up with, get a set of Superfeet Orange Insoles. These things are awesome and by far the best insoles I have ever used. Recommended to me by multiple hunting guides including Alaskan hunting guides and climbers.

I have a set of Irish Setter Grizzly Trackers with 1000g Thinsulate.

pDSP1-13839897dt.jpg

Superfeet insoles. There are a few places in columbus that carry them.

http://www.superfeet.com/

details.png

Edited by flounder

Owned 2 pair of redwings... Hated both.

Timberland Pro are awesome boots... imho, you can't even compare anything to them comfort wise... Been through so many boots and always end up back at timberland pro series... Currently wear their endurance series hiking boot for work (nice double toe)... And have the powerwelt for waterproof stuff (bought them when I was doing sewer work and wanted dedicated shit stomping boots)

So a few things to ask yourself.

Are you going to be hiking/walking in them long distances. (i.e. weight and support)

What is your primary usage environement. (hot, cold, wet, muddy, combination)

Insulated? if so, what weight.

Unless you are outdoors for long periods of time in wet/snowy conditions, you would probably just want a decent all weather boot.

Summer and warmer weather boots should be lighter and better for breathing,

Winter boots should be waterproof and have insulation. how much insulation depends on usage. you'll need less insulation if you will be walking in them allot as you will stay warmer but I have 1000g thinsulate in mine because Im hunting in them and may be sitting still for 5+ hrs in 0-15 degree temps.

Tread - Get something that will be good for your usage.

Whatever you end up with, get a set of Superfeet Orange Insoles. These things are awesome and by far the best insoles I have ever used. Recommended to me by multiple hunting guides including Alaskan hunting guides and climbers.

Thanks flounder. I've been wrasslin with this a little, and I think I'm after more of a all-weather hiking boot type than something high. I can still do stuff outside in snow with hiking boots, I just won't have the extra cushion that a high boot provides for waterproofiness. I think I'm going to try on those Merrell's with the Vibram soles at DSW when I get paid tomorrow.

Like I said above, the boots I linked to are my hunting/foul weather boots.

Actually I will probably get 2 more pairs of boots. One in a tall height more all weather/summer (helps with tucking pants into to avoid tickts, which i get into a lot!!! ) and another for hiking with a lower lace height for use with shorts.

• 5 months later...

Time to resurrect this.  Just switched jobs and started today, it appears I'll be visiting some far-off manufacturing plants and am in need of some steel-toe boots.  I'm going to be on my feet a TON and living out of hotel rooms, so comfort is paramount.  I went through this thread again and hit up some of the links, but since my original qualifications were for a hiking boot that didn't necessarily have a steel toe, I imagine this changes things a little.  Any new ideas?

I've had a few pairs of steel toes and I might get some crap for this, but I always liked my skechers shoes the best.  They were comfy and cute :D

gallery_10051_79_236801.jpg

^^ these are 10 years old, I used them through 2 summers in a factory and on countless construction sites.   I got to test them out one time when a hydraulic lift sandwiched my foot between it and a platform we stood on... saved my toes and kept the weight off long enough for me to shout to stop the lift.  They aren't so cute anymore though.  :-/

Edited by OsuMj

Can you get Skechers in steel-toe?

yea mine were. I got them at some outlet mall on clearance in Indiana back when I was working a freight dock. I'm not sure if you still can or not though