Dealer bike prep question

max power

When a dealer receives a new bike in the crate, does the crankcase have oil in it, or does the dealer add the oil during prep?

I have a 2007 4 whiller that was in a crate til 2012. It has the original oil and I'm curious if its been there since 07 or last spring.

Edumacate me.

Pretty sure the wife's new 300 was 'dry' ( some residual lube from factory test ) since they wouldn't let anyone start/ride it until the pre-delivery service/inspection was done. I'm not entirely sure thats accurate though. Hazmat may play a role in fluids being shipped in a bike too? :dunno:

I worked at a Suzuki dealer back in 2002, at that time all bikes and quads came with full oil. Not sure since then though as it was only a temp job.

If thats the case, I better get it changed before next ride. It might have 10 hrs. on it and it looks clean, but I have been told motor oil attracts moisture when it sits for a long period.

Doesnt seem right, but I aint no scientist.:crazy:

If it hasn't been run it doesn't matter. Moisture boils off as soon as you reach operating temp. Moisture can combine with combustion byproducts to form acids, but new oil is new oil.

Sounds reasonable. I'll probably just change it to be done with it for the year anyway. Doubt it has 20 hrs on it tho.

they come with fluids.

typically the oil is a "break in" oil and should be changed after the factory recommended break in procedure.

even if it isnt break in oil, id recommend a change after the first few heat cycles. cheap insurance.

If it hasn't been run it doesn't matter. Moisture boils off as soon as you reach operating temp. Moisture can combine with combustion byproducts to form acids, but new oil is new oil.

I have heard this about acid forming in the oil also which is why I change my oil every spring regardless of mileage. The alternative is to start you engine and allow it to come up to temperature every two weeks or so to boil off any moisture.

I took a test ride on a new bike from a dealership on floor model. I had to schedule a time for the ride so they could "prep" the bike. The salesman said that they needed to fill it with oil and charge the battery.

Edited by rubbersidedown

Ok, all of you that are saying it's ok. Please go out to your garage and look at your bike and say to yourself. 'It's OK to run six year old oil to save 40 bucks.'

agreed, cant hurt to change, and its relatively cheap (compared to engine failure).

I also recommend to open the owners manual and follow any and all break in procedures.

This is a when does the original oil go in the bike thread.

I figured it didn't go in until prep because when you buy a lawn mower or any other small engine machine it doesn't have oil in it.

I was looking for clarification from someone who has worked in the industry prepping bikes. Not pissed or anything, but telling me to read the manual is jackassery. All it says is 20 hrs first service.

This is a when does the original oil go in the bike thread.

I figured it didn't go in until prep because when you buy a lawn mower or any other small engine machine it doesn't have oil in it.

I was looking for clarification from someone who has worked in the industry prepping bikes. Not pissed or anything, but telling me to read the manual is jackassery. All it says is 20 hrs first service.

I didnt intend to come accross in that way. in my experience: a ton of new owners disregard an owners manual completely.

but to answer the original question, it comes with fluid. some salesman really like to play up the "new vehicle prep" as something better than it is, to justify charging you $395, or what have you on new models.

sorry for the confusion

But do they put the oil in it or is it already don't at the factory?

Done at the factory in every case I have ever seen or heard. They test run them and then they don't drain the oil.

yes at the factory, and in most cases they are not test run. the assembly line doesnt have time for a test fire, quality control pulls a few on a random lottery and will test fire/run the bikes, but most are not.