Curoius ? Are police allowed to stop a motorcycle by hitting them ?

arlis77

Just confused here, Ive been watching alot of youtube videos and watch when a motorcycle takes of from police . The police will chase a motorcycle even in congested areas and even watch these police videos of them trying to stop motorcycle's by side swipping them or ramming them. I know fleeing from police is "illegal" , but just curious watching these videos they can kill the driver that way. I thought police would just end they chase after a certain speed for the safety of public ? Does anyone know what police are allowed to do in a situation like this ? Some of these youtube videos are insane how they just ram the driver with a car to knock him down at highspeeds ?

It's funny how speeding is criminal; stopping or not. If you survive such a thing counter sue the fuck out of them. I'm only referring to if you are on your motorcycle. Best way though is to not get caught and you don't have to worry about it. Choose your places wisely.

Newsflash, Cops can do whatever they want.

Which is why when one says hi to me and I smile back and say hi to him, inside I'm really saying I fucking hate you. Oops, did I just post that? That's it, I'm going to hell. Yes, I have a clean record, never been in trouble with law either. I just don't care for them; my right of my opinion.:cheers:

Edited by NinjaNick

Unfortunately your wish for law enforcement to recognize that you are not a bad bad guy does not have them adhering to your want for a rational "Stop". You will most likely be "punished" in any way they see fit, for any non rational traffic behavior on your part.

Don't think it would be different than ramming a car. Law enforcement doesn't get paid to protect the Criminals.

You don't think the outcome would be any different if you were to get rammed by a cop car on a bike vs. in a car?

I guess it depends why they are chasing the bike. If they just held up a bank at gun point, killed someone, etc. and they fled on a bike, then by all means chase the idiot down and ram them. If it's just a minor traffic stop for speeding, running a light, or whatever and they are fleeing then the possible/probable outcome of death doesn't exactly fit the crime.

It should be vehicular manslaughter/attempted, by the cops.

The cops should never use high speed chases EVER, IMO. I would like to see statistics on the success stories of catching violent criminals through high speed chases. Were other options available? Radios/phones/computers are always faster than bikes.

Also, you are a selfish a@@hole, if you flee.

Any action by the police must be justified as being for the greater good. If you pass a copy doing 10 over the limit he's not going to ram you. If you are running from the police still carrying the loaded machine-gun that you used to shoot up a mall then they will probably have to pry your tattered remains from the undercarriage of a cruiser.

We had two dirt bikes and a bunch of gear stolen from us. Called the police and all the normal stuff. Get a call from the police that they spotted two dirt bikes in Elyria being ridden in unusual areas. They are trying to catch them. We hop in our truck and head to Elyria and start searching ourselves. Get another call that they think they caught one of them. We meet up with the State Trooper and low and behold, our TTR125 pit bike is in front of the police car and a 14 year old boy is in the back of the car. He tells us how he spots two dirt bikes and thought something was odd and called it in. Hears our report and pursued them. They fled. The one on the CR250 had some power and was able to pull away. The kid on the 125 didn’t have a clue and kept trying to get away. The cop then ran him off the road into the ditch. A very deeeep ditch. We were really shocked as it was just a dirt bike and certainly not worth harming a stupid kid BUT I’m pretty sure he learned his lesson.

The kid was wearing my husband’s $800 custom racing boots in the mud and my back protector. The kid turned his friend in. Went to the kid’s house, found the other dirtbike and some of our other gear. Stupid ass parents. Dad’s got a $20k Harley in his garage and tells us the kids traded some video games for the bikes. Really????? You know what the bikes are worth and that’s a hell of lot of video games. Mom is giving us the stink eye like you wouldn’t believe. Really? Your kid just stole over $7k worth of stuff and it’s my fault? I suddenly don’t feel as bad that the cop ran him into the ditch as he clearly wasn’t getting any lessons from his parents. We never recovered some of the stuff and the judge ordered the older teen to some jail time and the younger paid restitution for a while. Sad thing about this, we probably wouldn’t have pressed full charges on these kids if they had just shown some remorse. Kids do stupid things but their parents were too darn lame to teach them anything so we let the legal system do it for them.

So, yes, I’m pretty sure the police can run you over if they feel it is necessary. Don’t run from the cops.

Sorry for the long story but it’s actually a really amusing story now that it is over. The cop was a riot!

Mary

We had two dirt bikes and a bunch of gear stolen from us. Called the police and all the normal stuff. Get a call from the police that they spotted two dirt bikes in Elyria being ridden in unusual areas. They are trying to catch them. We hop in our truck and head to Elyria and start searching ourselves. Get another call that they think they caught one of them. We meet up with the State Trooper and low and behold, our TTR125 pit bike is in front of the police car and a 14 year old boy is in the back of the car. He tells us how he spots two dirt bikes and thought something was odd and called it in. Hears our report and pursued them. They fled. The one on the CR250 had some power and was able to pull away. The kid on the 125 didn’t have a clue and kept trying to get away. The cop then ran him off the road into the ditch. A very deeeep ditch. We were really shocked as it was just a dirt bike and certainly not worth harming a stupid kid BUT I’m pretty sure he learned his lesson.

The kid was wearing my husband’s $800 custom racing boots in the mud and my back protector. The kid turned his friend in. Went to the kid’s house, found the other dirtbike and some of our other gear. Stupid ass parents. Dad’s got a $20k Harley in his garage and tells us the kids traded some video games for the bikes. Really????? You know what the bikes are worth and that’s a hell of lot of video games. Mom is giving us the stink eye like you wouldn’t believe. Really? Your kid just stole over $7k worth of stuff and it’s my fault? I suddenly don’t feel as bad that the cop ran him into the ditch as he clearly wasn’t getting any lessons from his parents. We never recovered some of the stuff and the judge ordered the older teen to some jail time and the younger paid restitution for a while. Sad thing about this, we probably wouldn’t have pressed full charges on these kids if they had just shown some remorse. Kids do stupid things but their parents were too darn lame to teach them anything so we let the legal system do it for them.

So, yes, I’m pretty sure the police can run you over if they feel it is necessary. Don’t run from the cops.

Sorry for the long story but it’s actually a really amusing story now that it is over. The cop was a riot!

Mary

well they were chasing stolen property. not just someone going over the speed limit. i the question is, eh, fuck it.