quick question...

Appleseed

thanks craig, i figured this all out today after making a few phone calls.

you really broke it down though, wish i could have seen it sooner. probably wouldnt have annoyed everyone so much haha.

thanks for the help guys. i appreciate it.

Seriously though.... Think of how many people signed up for MSF months ago and said "screw it" and just took the test. I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of anyone I know that hasn't been able to just show up to a class and get in.

thanks craig, i figured this all out today after making a few phone calls.

you really broke it down though, wish i could have seen it sooner. probably wouldnt have annoyed everyone so much haha.

thanks for the help guys. i appreciate it.

I don't think you annoyed anyone, we were all newbies once. We just want you to be safe and enjoy the hobby we've all come to enjoy.

Not very confusing. Maybe just some mixed terminology.

There are 2 methods to get a full Motorcycle license in Ohio.

First

1. Pass written test

2. Get temporary permit

3. Pass riding test

4. Get motorcycle endorsement / MC license

Second

1. Pass written test

2. Get temporary permit

3. Take MSF course and pass final test

4. Get MC endorsement

The second method is the recommended method for new riders as you learn alot during the couple days on the course. Plus you get to use their bikes and dont have to worry about dropping yours during the initial learning stage.

i separate test and license steps because these are actually different government agencies and may have different site or at least different desks in your location. 

Your temporary permit is good for one year and restricts you from freeways, riding at night and with passengers. 

Your full endorsement restricts you to riding with a helmet for the first year.

Ohio has no engine size or power restrictions for any riders. 

Craig

PS take the MSF course. Try walk in if local courses are full. Or schedule in a different county. I noticed that less populous counties seem to have more slots available.

This is the best breakdown in the whole thread. 

Without the MSF course , I wouldn't be here to post this. End of story . Find somewhere other than I.P. it's 25 dollars anywhere else.

OK. I'm not going to get defensive here, but you seem rather matter of fact on your post so I will reserve the right to do the same.

The fee for taking the course through the state is now $50. It is subsidized through motorcycle license fees.

We are a "private provider" of the MSF/Motorcycle Ohio course. The class and the results are the same, but we do not use your tax dollars to offset a portion of the cost of the course.

Iron Pony Riding Academy, to the best of my knowledge, is the lowest priced "private provider" in our state with our $200 introductory rate. Most programs are $300 or $350.

I will not go into details, but I can assure you it costs more than $200 per student to go through the class. The instructors do not work for free, we have overhead in the building that houses our classroom, (it is not in the same building as Iron Pony) the cost of the range and maintenance associated with it, Insurance premiums, loaner helmets, 15 brand new motorcycles, (imagine that!) and course supplies, materials and equipment.

I am a huge fan of the MSF curriculum. I encourage everyone to take the course. I myself took the beginner course several years ago when a friend asked me to teach him to ride. I told him I would not, but that I would attend a beginner class with him. At that time I had held a MC endorsement for more than 25 years. Like many sports and activities where "muscle memory" is needed the experts say your should learn from a professional trainer first, that learning improper form or technique when self taught or taught by a friend is challenging to overcome. Like many on OR I learned to shoot from my dad, he was safety conscience, but he himself lacked professional training- it wasn't until years later that I learned I had horrible trigger discipline. If you are going to seriously pursue something that is potentially dangerous to you or others you should be responsible enough to become reasonably proficient.

OK, so why would you pay an extra $150 dollars to take the course at Iron Pony Riding Academy rather than the state? I think we have the cream of the crop instructors. All MSF/Motorcycle Ohio instructors are certified, but Iron Pony Riding Academy is not obligated to allow certified instructors to teach the way the state is. We have hand picked our instructors, I know they are the best of the best. I'm certain if you have some ability (being able to ride a bicycle helps) our instructors can help you learn the basic skills that will start you on the path to a safe, skillful and confident life of motorcycle riding. We have a really nice classroom and range, our facility is new and conducive to relaxing and learning the curriculum. We have brand-spanking-new-motorcycles, if any of you have taken the course somewhere else and they used beat motorcycles you understand my point. I'm going to give you a cool Iron Pony Riding Academy T-shirt. You are going to have fun. In addition to learning skills that will serve you well for the rest of your life, you are going to enjoy developing these skills. The flexibility of a fairly open schedule, I have spots available, right now, no waiting, no standby.

As others have said, please take the course. It not only makes you a better and safer rider, it will help you enjoy motorcycling more. It might be the difference between riding for a couple of years (how many people do you hear say they "use to ride"?) and riding for the rest of your life.

If Iron Pony does not make money on this why do it? I could easily sit here and spout some romantic notion about "giving back" and supporting motorcycling and those are good reasons, but a bit clichéd. We want to create new riders in the local marketplace. We want to help you discover motorcycling and then become a source for the things that allow you to enjoy it.          

• Upvote 4

Well written Iron Pony!! And lets all be honest, IP is a business, you cannot expect them to not make something off of this, and as already stated they DO NOT get our tax money to offset the costs.

But I've ridden outside of permit restrictions (freeway) when I was a noob, and as long as they have no reason to pull you over, then it's smooth sailing.

Yeah that's what I thought too. The wife and I were putting around town 2up in full gear (helmets, jackets,boots and gloves anyway) when a Sheriff followed me for a few blocks then pulled us over. The first words out of his mouth were "Do you have your endorsement?"

Me: No

Him: Yeah, didn't think so.

He said he was going to tow my bike if I didn't find a different ride for the wife. Had my aunt come pick her up. I still got a ticket. My endorsement test was scheduled like 2 weeks from then. At court I told the judge that to try and get out of the ticket and she told me "I guess you should have waited a couple weeks to ride with a passenger then".

Moral of the story is apparently they can run your plates and tell if you have it or not.

Not very confusing. Maybe just some mixed terminology.

There are 2 methods to get a full Motorcycle license in Ohio.

First

1. Pass written test

2. Get temporary permit

3. Pass riding test

4. Get motorcycle endorsement / MC license

Second

1. Pass written test

2. Get temporary permit

3. Take MSF course and pass final test

4. Get MC endorsement

The second method is the recommended method for new riders as you learn alot during the couple days on the course. Plus you get to use their bikes and dont have to worry about dropping yours during the initial learning stage.

i separate test and license steps because these are actually different government agencies and may have different site or at least different desks in your location. 

Your temporary permit is good for one year and restricts you from freeways, riding at night and with passengers. 

Your full endorsement restricts you to riding with a helmet for the first year.

Ohio has no engine size or power restrictions for any riders. 

Craig

PS take the MSF course. Try walk in if local courses are full. Or schedule in a different county. I noticed that less populous counties seem to have more slots available.

Great post. I love this thread.

Good info here guys.. I first got my endorsement when I was 19.. when I was 21 or so I stopped riding sold all my toys and moved to the city.. A couple yrs ago I got the bug again (35 yrs old now)  and went last yr and took class.. had fun learned a few things, and been riding since. Money well spent.

OK. I'm not going to get defensive here, but you seem rather matter of fact on your post so I will reserve the right to do the same.

The fee for taking the course through the state is now $50. It is subsidized through motorcycle license fees.

We are a "private provider" of the MSF/Motorcycle Ohio course. The class and the results are the same, but we do not use your tax dollars to offset a portion of the cost of the course.

Iron Pony Riding Academy, to the best of my knowledge, is the lowest priced "private provider" in our state with our $200 introductory rate. Most programs are $300 or $350.

I will not go into details, but I can assure you it costs more than $200 per student to go through the class. The instructors do not work for free, we have overhead in the building that houses our classroom, (it is not in the same building as Iron Pony) the cost of the range and maintenance associated with it, Insurance premiums, loaner helmets, 15 brand new motorcycles, (imagine that!) and course supplies, materials and equipment.

I am a huge fan of the MSF curriculum. I encourage everyone to take the course. I myself took the beginner course several years ago when a friend asked me to teach him to ride. I told him I would not, but that I would attend a beginner class with him. At that time I had held a MC endorsement for more than 25 years. Like many sports and activities where "muscle memory" is needed the experts say your should learn from a professional trainer first, that learning improper form or technique when self taught or taught by a friend is challenging to overcome. Like many on OR I learned to shoot from my dad, he was safety conscience, but he himself lacked professional training- it wasn't until years later that I learned I had horrible trigger discipline. If you are going to seriously pursue something that is potentially dangerous to you or others you should be responsible enough to become reasonably proficient.

OK, so why would you pay an extra $150 dollars to take the course at Iron Pony Riding Academy rather than the state? I think we have the cream of the crop instructors. All MSF/Motorcycle Ohio instructors are certified, but Iron Pony Riding Academy is not obligated to allow certified instructors to teach the way the state is. We have hand picked our instructors, I know they are the best of the best. I'm certain if you have some ability (being able to ride a bicycle helps) our instructors can help you learn the basic skills that will start you on the path to a safe, skillful and confident life of motorcycle riding. We have a really nice classroom and range, our facility is new and conducive to relaxing and learning the curriculum. We have brand-spanking-new-motorcycles, if any of you have taken the course somewhere else and they used beat motorcycles you understand my point. I'm going to give you a cool Iron Pony Riding Academy T-shirt. You are going to have fun. In addition to learning skills that will serve you well for the rest of your life, you are going to enjoy developing these skills. The flexibility of a fairly open schedule, I have spots available, right now, no waiting, no standby.

As others have said, please take the course. It not only makes you a better and safer rider, it will help you enjoy motorcycling more. It might be the difference between riding for a couple of years (how many people do you hear say they "use to ride"?) and riding for the rest of your life.

If Iron Pony does not make money on this why do it? I could easily sit here and spout some romantic notion about "giving back" and supporting motorcycling and those are good reasons, but a bit clichéd. We want to create new riders in the local marketplace. We want to help you discover motorcycling and then become a source for the things that allow you to enjoy it.          

It has been brought to my attention that my comment was taken out of context.  Dudes a new rider, probably overwhelmed with the new costs of motorcycle,gear,insurance, possible motorcycle work to get said bike roadworthy. I never once said your program was not worth the cash.To a new rider whom is tight on cash, and is trying to do things right, its hard to fork out another 200 bucks. I was there once. We all were. I remember searching your closeout sections for gear on the cheap because I could not afford anything else.  All I was trying to say was that if money is an issue, alternatives are there, instead of spending 200 dollars. I took my MSF course in troy, for a mere 25 dollars. Apparently thats now 50$.  No, it wasn't your cream of the crop hand picked instructors, but they sure taught me a hell of a lot. 

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

Yeah that's what I thought too. The wife and I were putting around town 2up in full gear (helmets, jackets,boots and gloves anyway) when a Sheriff followed me for a few blocks then pulled us over. The first words out of his mouth were "Do you have your endorsement?"

Me: No

Him: Yeah, didn't think so.

He said he was going to tow my bike if I didn't find a different ride for the wife. Had my aunt come pick her up. I still got a ticket. My endorsement test was scheduled like 2 weeks from then. At court I told the judge that to try and get out of the ticket and she told me "I guess you should have waited a couple weeks to ride with a passenger then".

Moral of the story is apparently they can run your plates and tell if you have it or not.

My question is what did you do to cause the officer to go through the trouble of running your plate? Speed? Improper lane change? Failure to signal? Appearance of loss of control?

Officers dont typically run every MC plate they come across, You probably did something to draw his attention.

It has been brought to my attention that my comment was taken out of context.  Dudes a new rider, probably overwhelmed with the new costs of motorcycle,gear,insurance, possible motorcycle work to get said bike roadworthy. I never once said your program was not worth the cash, but to a new rider whom is tight on cash, and is trying to do things right, its hard to fork out another 200 bucks. I was there once. We all were. I remember searching your closeout sections for gear on the cheap because I could not afford anything else.  All I was trying to say was that if money is an issue, alternatives are there, instead of spending 200 dollars. I took my MSF course in troy, for a mere 25 dollars. No, it wasn't your cream of the crop hand picked instructors, but they sure taught me a hell of a lot. 

It use to be $25 but this year it was raised to $50. Something to the effect that the motorcycles cost to maintain. Either way its still cheap. I agree with you that $200 is a lot but like IP said there not funded by the tax payers and there a business. I know I used $200 towards gear because Im not a baller. I have some more money and if classes were no longer available I would pay IP the money now. I know my baller sister paid over $300 for her Harley Davidson msf course.

Got my boots in discount, feet to small for the grown up section (didnt want to order).

MSF course $50 is cheap considering what you learn and per hour rate. Take the MSF this year and IP next for refresher and to increase skill.

It use to be $25 but this year it was raised to $50. Something to the effect that the motorcycles cost to maintain. Either way its still cheap. I agree with you that $200 is a lot but like IP said there not funded by the tax payers and there a business. I know I used $200 towards gear because Im not a baller. I have some more money and if classes were no longer available I would pay IP the money now. I know my baller sister paid over $300 for her Harley Davidson msf course.

I wasn't bashing I.P by any means. Heck I didn't even know I.P offered a course until this thread. I have spent lots of money at I.P over the years, even this week I bought tires from them. I wasn't taking a jab at anyone. All I was attempting to do was help a dude out, whom seemed to be concerned with a 200 dollar cost. I never stated the course was not worth the money, I never mentioned taxes, or anything along those lines. Yes 50 dollars is cheap. When I took my class, if it were 200, I probably would have paid it. I was just trying to get the point across to the fellow that the MSF course is the way to go.

My question is what did you do to cause the officer to go through the trouble of running your plate? Speed? Improper lane change? Failure to signal? Appearance of loss of control?

Officers dont typically run every MC plate they come across, You probably did something to draw his attention.

Typically no, but more often than you think. In many cases it is automatic, camera scans plates as the leo drives. I was with five bikes north of cincy otw to the Dragon. We were rolling five over, he passed us then dropped back and lit us up.

The sammich maker in our group had her bike in her husband's name. He didn't ride or have an endorsement. It was no big deal, no violation. I asked him how he knew. That's when I learned lots of state leo's have the plate scanner.

My question is what did you do to cause the officer to go through the trouble of running your plate? Speed? Improper lane change? Failure to signal? Appearance of loss of control?

Random I guess, who knows. I was in stop and go traffic and didn't leave my lane. I would assume that if it was a traffic violation he would have informed me. When you mess with the bull sometimes you get the horns.

This:

22536d1245251730-funny-motorcycle-pictur

True story.

Random I guess, who knows. I was in stop and go traffic and didn't leave my lane. I would assume that if it was a traffic violation he would have informed me. When you mess with the bull sometimes you get the horns.

Sure random, hehe.