I Hate This! Another Fallen Rider. :(

jporter12

I'm going to guess that traffic was heavy at that time of day,

with everyone going home after work.  The rider may have

been slowing to turn at River Road, or may have slowed

due to cars waiting to turn from River Road onto Rt 16.

Being the only one stopped at a light makes me uncomfortable

when I see a car approaching from the rear in a 55 MPH zone.

If the light goes green, what if the car doesn't see me before I

get enough speed up to get out of the way?  I may look closer

into installing a flashing brake light.

I know I have a bad habit of not holding the brake lever once i come to a stop and not observing what's coming from behind. This is probably an area in my riding skills that I should make a priority to improve, before I become a victim.

I just flash my brake light manually when I see a car approaching from the rear. Pretty easy.

This^^

Also, I have been lane splitting stopped traffic lately, which has gotten me many horn honks and finger gestures, but if the drivers would take their head out of their asses they would realize they are getting home faster because of me. This is just more reason to lane split.

I know I have a bad habit of not holding the brake lever once i come to a stop and not observing what's coming from behind. This is probably an area in my riding skills that I should make a priority to improve, before I become a victim.

Leave your foot on the rear brake. I always preferred to shake out my right hand whenever possible on street rides.  Buzzy parallel twin...

Leave your foot on the rear brake. I always preferred to shake out my right hand whenever possible on street rides.  Buzzy parallel twin...

I don't think I need to concern myself too much with which levers/controls I am applying, but more on paying attention to what's going on behind be, and that will help dictate what I'm doing with my hands and feet.

The only thing make me nervous... Looking over my shoulder and changing lanes.  I need to make sure I keep practicing that more, so that I'm use to it and not assume nothing is behind me like I have been (practicing in a parkling lot).

• 1 month later...

This^^

Also, I have been lane splitting stopped traffic lately, which has gotten me many horn honks and finger gestures, but if the drivers would take their head out of their asses they would realize they are getting home faster because of me. This is just more reason to lane split.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws.aspx?stateid=35

scroll down, seems its entirely up to the officer. "not authorized"  No laws have been passed against it. If theres an accident you're in..added cost

I always watch behind until cars stop. I also pull to the far left of the lane or the far right so if they see me last second, they have a much easier time not hitting me.    Just one more thing you can do to avoid being a statistic. 

100 people die in car accidents everyday, I'm not giving up the car or the bike.  Just learn as much as you can and try to be a good person so karma doesn't strike back ;)

Edited by turnone

I always watch behind until cars stop. I also pull to the far left of the lane or the far right so if they see me last second, they have a much easier time not hitting me.

This... I am sure cars get pissed that are in front of me... To them I prob look like I am tailgating. However, I can stop a lot faster then a car and the car in front is a LOT bigger (and easier to see) to the car coming up behind me. Offset them and you have your escape route. I just wish they would explain this in drivers Ed. Egos are a SOB and when I see someone getting pissed, I get away ASAP.

If you take the time to wear the helmet, finish the task and strap it on :nono:

Not assuming the helmet would've saved his life, but surely couldn't have hurt his chances.

I agree with using mirrors as often as forward sight, I use mine a lot and also try to stay to one side of the vehicle in front of me at a stop in case I need a quick exit strategy to avoid an asspacking.

RIP rider

This is the exact reason why lane splitting should be legalized. As long as lane splitting has the stipulation that you aren't to be moving more than 10mph faster than the speed of traffic while splitting ( just as it is in CA ), it is far safer for motorcycle riders to do so. You would use the cars as barriers in the event someone doesn't stop in time...

Of course there would be a learning curve for cagers to be on the look out for splitting bikes and/or learning curve on the parts of motorcyclists to learn what to look for while splitting (i.e. gaps in between cars where cars would have the opportunity to change lanes, etc)