Street Fork Oil - What Do You Use?

Strictly Street

So I'm getting my leaky forks fixed (Thanks Hoblik) and I am looking to buy some fork oil.
So I surf over to fleabay and check out 10w fork oil. I gotta admit $18/Qt including shipping (for the cheap stuff) was a bit of a shock!

Expanding my search I found a forum where they were saying to use ATF tranny fluid as in Dextron instead.
To be fair one guy said to use Mayonnaise but I think he was talking about a 4-wheeler ATV.

So my question is what do you use in your street bike forks?

Edited by Strictly Street

10w stock? Some people run 15w or 20w or mixes of weights. Should be able to find Maxima for 7 bucks or repsol for 10 bucks. BelRay for 12 or 14. That's on line prices, a bit more in stores.

The weight of fork oil you run varies per rider weight mostly. Heavier fork oil for heavier riders.

edit: Iron Pony shows Yamalube for 7 bucks/pint and Spectro for 11 bucks/liter.

Edited by ReconRat

No, the oil weight messes with valving nothing to do with rider weight. For the street I would just run whatever the oem calls for unless you are having any issues.

I'll agree with that. People do try to use a heavier weight for that, but it's wrong. It would change the valving rate.

Edited by ReconRat

Heavier oil is "sorta" wrong...  Depends on application.  I would suggest OEM weight and buy silkolene brand oil.  Also while u are in those forks I would suggest new bushings.  Its Cheap and needed if the forks have allot of miles on them.

10w Motul in mine. Believe stock weight was 5w, but it works just fine for street and some moderately hard riding now and then. I've never had any issues. Heard heavy oils can cavitate if you're riding hard enough or seriously working the forks/susp though. I was told to stick with a medium weight for best results ( 5w-15w ). Spring rates will fix heavier rider issues more than any oil can.

1 liter will more than fill both forks @ $17 a bottle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0022ZFTHA

Edited by Hellmutt

My '79 Triumph calls for Castrol ATF fluid.

I remember some old bikes used to recommend a certain grade of engine oil and ATF mix?! Crazy engineers and their weird assed recipes :nono: