So What Would You Do ? ? ?

myhondas

I have tried just about everything to get these out. Lot's of PB Blaster, Heat from a MAP Gas torch, Left Hand drills, and two types of easy-outs...sprial and square.  Nothing has worked. I don't want to cut off the nuts from the pipes. Just want the old screw remains out so that I can clean out the threads with some bottoming taps and replace the screws with new ones. Here are pictures of all four of them on my collector.   So, What would you do......to get them out?

20130706_163721_zpse7f49780.jpg

20130706_163716_zpsc970a276.jpg

20130706_163712_zps575b89ad.jpg

20130706_163706_zpsce327148.jpg

20130706_163647_zpsee8f3c2a.jpg

20130706_163643_zps0b500d5f.jpg

20130706_163633_zpsda8ac098.jpg

20130706_163630_zps8d308571.jpg

U asked what would you do and that's what I would do, only read bits and pieces of ur post but as the title says that's what I would do. Some one may be able to help ya there are some smart people on here I was just giving my 2cents on what I'd do. I get neg.....for saying drill if no go then grind hahahahahahah good luck to ya sir hope you get it out..

Edited by Dying Shadow
  • Upvote 2

Vintage Bike...Need to keep it as original as possible. Specifically stated that I do not want to cut or grind off the nuts....so if your only answer is to do what I stated I did not want to do, then why waste the time to type in your comment knowing that it would be totally useless to me.  I really wonder sometimes where some peoples minds are. Is it that they just want to be post whores or to stir up trouble. I would very much prefer answers/comments that would be helpful, but with some that isn't possible.

Keep drilling. Stop with the lefty bits and use HSS bits. Start small, work your way up one size at a time. Be careful not to engage the threads of the pipe bung.

Small bits to start. Slow to medium speed. Lots of coolant.

That is pretty much what I have done so far. but now If i go much larger on the drills, I think I will be dinging the nut threads. So I stopped. Someone mentioned EDM to get them out. I not sure what that entails or if it is something that will work.

Vintage Bike...Need to keep it as original as possible. Specifically stated that I do not want to cut or grind off the nuts....so if your only answer is to do what I stated I did not want to do, then why waste the time to type in your comment knowing that it would be totally useless to me.  I really wonder sometimes where some peoples minds are. Is it that they just want to be post whores or to stir up trouble. I would very much prefer answers/comments that would be helpful, but with some that isn't possible.

not sturing up trouble man I like to stay neutral, didn't know the bike was vintage. But as stated I didn't see the part about u not wanting to grind it, my bad... that's also why I stated drill it if no go then grind Mr papa is right on this is go with his advice. Didn't wanna cause trouble, only answering ur mast head question with out reading fine print. Like I said I like to stay neutral and hope to ride with ya one day also hope you get ur shit fixed and good luck.
  • Upvote 1

Drill out and then retap to a larger diameter?

Or try as pauly suggested.

That or get a real torchto heat with

I have to look at this possibility as my last resort. Would prefer to keep screw size same if possible. I used the map gas torch and got them cherry red and tried the easy outs and more pb blaster. One other option I was considering is to back up the nut & try to use a small center punch to try to drive the screw edges inward and away from the nuts threads.

not sturing up trouble man I like to stay neutral, didn't know the bike was vintage. But as stated I didn't see the part about u not wanting to grind it, my bad... that's also why I stated drill it if no go then grind Mr papa is right on this is go with his advice. Didn't wanna cause trouble, only answering ur mast head question with out reading fine print. Like I said I like to stay neutral and hope to ride with ya one day also hope you get ur shit fixed and good luck.

appreciate the response.  this is my 30 year old 1983 VF1100C Magna that I am restoring. Awesome bike that still takes my breath away and scares me when I crack open the throttle all the way. Parts are hard to come by and when you can find stuff, it is ridiculously expensive.  Brand new collector brought $760 on feebay auction. That is only a $100 less than what I paid for the bike. I have already sunk an additional $600 on it so far and I am stuck until I get this solved. Again, I appreciate your follow up response and I would very much like to do a ride with you on this bike. You will be blown away by the sheer power this old bike has.

IMAG0022.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Grind off nut and weld new one on but that's just me....

Gave everybody green 1s

thats exactly what I'd do, OP would be done by now. Guy down the street at the gas station, excellent welder, he'd charge me...five buck and supply the nut as well. 

You haven't even drilled through, yet.

Drill all the way through the plug.

Next size... repeat...

Next size... repeat... until you can safely use a chisel, punch, screwdriver to tap the old threads away from the pipe threads. You drill as wide as you can until you're close to the plug threads. Then, you tap them away from the threads you want to save.

This isn't rocket science, brother.

Photos aren't the best. I have drilled all the way through the old screws/plugs and I have to be careful since I almost drilled into the pipe under the nut. In fact, I have a another set of easyouts that I couldn't use because of the pipe being that close to the nut bottom.  In two of the nuts, my drill went off center and I am right up against the nut threads on one side. I figured I would heat them up again to the cherry red state and back up the nut and center punch the plugs toward the center.

Vintage Bike...Need to keep it as original as possible. 

Good idea, but honestly you may love it, but it has low collector value. why the angry response about what to do.

If this were a concours quality 60's something...sure.......but...you want to be on the road again? Grind it off, weld on new. sheesh

• Downvote 1

Good idea, but honestly you may love it, but it has low collector value. why the angry response about what to do.

If this were a concours quality 60's something...sure.......but...you want to be on the road again? Grind it off, weld on new. sheesh

When I get this done I hope to have in in a condition that is very close to original. I did it with my 74 CB750K4 and plan to do it with this one also. Yes, this one won't have the value of my k4, but as a great ride, I like to keep it as original as possible for many reasons. Yes, I want it on the road again, but only when it is been properly been restored.  Here is my 74 k4

http://s564.photobucket.com/user/myhondas/slideshow/botmy

• Downvote 1

Ooooohhhh... I thought they were through holes for testing. They're mounting nuts for shields and whatnot. My bad. Sorry for jumping the gun. You're best bet is to take your time, use map gas on the "bad" threads and start tapping them inward. Eventually, you'll get there. It's just a time consuming bastard of a job. Be patient and don't get frustrated. Take your time and you'll get them out. You can't muscle those threads out of that nut.

Yup, U got it right. Has anyone ever heard of EDM. I was told by someone that that would remove the screws and leave the nuts intact. I have no knowledge of what it entails or how it is done.

sinker edm is what you want.

You need a couple threads to start EDMing when fiixing threads. Basically EDM uses electricity to burn threads in. Without a start for tapping EDM it will just cut leaving you with god knows what for threads. Besides that about 1/2 the time threads come back oversize.

And I know you don't want to hear it but grind the nuts off and weld on new (look at your pics that shit is 1/2 fucked). Your messing with what three maybe four threads. That will be fucked up because your start hole is off center and itlooks like you have already kissed the threads on the nut. also your going to use a flat bottomed tap with no lead to even start cutting threads. Besides by the time your tap starts to follow good threads you have lost three of them if its not cross threaded. Not to mention they won't be square (looks like ass in my opinion)

To weld the new nuts I would screw them to the heat shield and line em up on the pipe. Tack it all in and unscrew heat shield and then weld.

Jackass/machinist just my .02.

Edited by Anden

My $.02, grind and weld, nobody cares if the nuts are oem and its not a museum piece. I understand you want to preserve as much original equipment as possible but those look too far gone and I'm with anden on buggering up the threads worse with a bottom tap and not having enough room in the blind hole for a taper tap. A form tap might work if you can get the old material out but idk.

Also a jackass machinist.

• Upvote 2

When I get this done I hope to have in in a condition that is very close to original. I did it with my 74 CB750K4 and plan to do it with this one also. Yes, this one won't have the value of my k4, but as a great ride, I like to keep it as original as possible for many reasons. Yes, I want it on the road again, but only when it is been properly been restored.  Here is my 74 k4

http://s564.photobucket.com/user/myhondas/slideshow/botmy

Isn't this akin to trying to fix up an 85 Honda Accord? I can see "The heat shield bolts are rusted into the manifold but I want everything to be original. What should I do?" :lol:

It's just a Magna. Grind and weld already and get back riding.

• Upvote 1