A Dozen Deadly Motorcycle Myths

Casper

The frustrating thing for me is that my fatherinlaw knows this but still chooses to ride without any kind of gear.

He has decided to sell the bike rather than be "constrained".

I have not often heard these myths except to dispel them. I guess I don't know the "right riders"

Craig

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Myth no. 2 is always my favorite, because I hear it the most.

Others: Ape Hangers give you more leverage for turns. A motorcycle can be turned simply by leaning to one side of the bike.

While I agree that ape hangers are stupid, you cannot turn a motorcycle without turning the bars. The bike will not lean unless you turn the wheels out from under it.

Shifting your weight (on its own) will not cause the bike to turn.

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 1

While I agree that ape hangers are stupid, you cannot turn a motorcycle without turning the bars. The bike will not lean unless you turn the wheels out from under it.

Definitely. I have heard from inexperienced riders that believe the myth that a motorcycle can be turned strictly by leaning on it. The video Twist of the Wrist 2 has a really good demonstration regarding this issue.

• Upvote 2

tell that to pro riders that use their bodyweight to turn the bike.

I've seen it discussed by pro's on tv about doing it.  some of them need new boots every few races because they push so hard on the pegs it wears out the soles fast.

I've tried it and can't seem to get any results.  many claim that's how they get it to turn so fast.

Edited by serpentracer

I've seen it discussed by pro's on tv about doing it.  some of them need new boots every few races because they push so hard on the pegs it wears out the soles fast.

I've tried it and can't seem to get any results.  many claim that's how they get it to turn so fast.

Oh god not this shit again. Turning the bars quicker is what gets it to turn so fast.

Oh god not this shit again. Turning the bars quicker is what gets it to turn so fast.

you didn't watch the video.  you know who scott russel is?  look it up.

if a ex champion and current yamaha riders school instructor  says that's how it's done then I believe him.

Edited by serpentracer

Yes, I know who scott russel is. I have see this shit in action first hand with teaching to back it up and actual used it to get the bike to turn quicker, it wasn't with the pegs.

well you must know more than him you're the current/former champion of what?

Edited by serpentracer

Myth 10: It's Better to Stay in Your Lane than Split Lanes

In most parts of the world, motorcycles split lanes all the time, everywhere traffic is heavy. Here in the U.S., people often act as if lane-splitting is insane. But when someone actually studied it in the only place in the U.S. where it's legal (California), they discovered it's actually slightly safer than staying in the lane in heavy, slow-moving traffic. Still many motorcyclists berate others who do it, when they should in fact be endorsing it.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/dangerous_motorcycle_safety_myths/#ixzz2fNAbxigy

Here we go...  :eatdrink:

Lee Parks' book, "Total Control", addresses this.  I don't think it's the pegs according to the reading I have done. 

Kieth code already disproved the whole leaning and foot peg thing in twist of the wrist 2. He proves that the only thing that makes the bike turn is the front wheel turning. Pressure on pegs or leaning of body weight just offsets the center of gravity slightly causing the bike to attempt to right itself by turning the bars. So even tho you get a little bit of turn, its only because the bars are moving.

• Upvote 2

Agreed that leaning won't turn a corner, but it will turn enough to change lanes or swoop through sweepers.

I'm pretty sure that riding with "no hands" covers the "leaning will turn".

And don't go out and try this. It's not worth a crash.

I give anyone $1000 plus my bike, trailer, and all my gear the minute they can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can turn in a motorcycle at speed into a corner by only leaning off with no hands on the controls.

I suspect I'll still have all my shit and whomever attempts this will have a pile of wadded up bike.

So...who's first in line??

Edited by r1crusher
  • Upvote 1

You all are missing one key fact: the bars are free moving even when your hands are not on the bars.  Yes, the bike will lean and change directions with no hands on the bars, but that doesn't mean the front wheel isn't turning on it's own slightly.

Yes it will but not anywhere near fast enough to make a lap around a race track at speed.