Changing your own tires

Jester_

the one time I did it myself on my motorcycle, I just used a big pair of channel locks and a couple pieces of old innertube to break the bead and some tire spoons to walk the tire off the rim.

Then i use some old drain oil as a lubricant and sealant for the new tire bead. I have a cheap harbor freight balancer. 

On cars I use a bumper jack and a heavy truck to break the bead, then the same method for the tires just with a little more grunting...

Edited by magley64

I use a big Jorgensen wood clamp from Home Depot to break the bead. Then I use Motion Pro spoons with pieces of cut up polyethylene jug to protect the rim. I balance by supporting the axle between two "L" shaped plywood supports with small v notches in the tops then spinning & weighting until it comes up consistently random. Finessing the tire off & on with spoons is quick & easy after you've done it 40 or 50 times.

Once I needed a shitty tire off of a bent rim so I could scrap it. I used a garden shovel to break the bead and some pry bars to get it the rest of the way off. I don't recommend this method if you care about your tire or rim.

• Upvote 1

Lately I've been using a sliding C clamp and a piece of 2x4 to break the bead, motion pro rim savers, a couple flat pry bars, a spray bottle with diluted dish soap, and a harbor freight wheel balancer with a replaced shaft.

Alternate to the C-clamp....I've also used a couple pieces of 2x4 and the hitch on my car to break the bead.  It was more screwing around since my car is light and it would lift the suspension till I got the positioning just right.

I have the HF tire changer at my mom's place in PA, but I never brought it to Ohio because it is useless other than a bead breaker.  I see they JUST brought back the harbor freight motorcycle tire changer attachment; I'm tempted to pick it up to try out.  $30 with a 25% off coupon.  I actually have a set of spoons in PA as well, but I like using the flat pry bars more than the spoons.  

If you buy the HF balancer, replace balancing shaft IMMEDIATELY.  Every single one of these things seem to come with a bent shaft.

Thanks Ryan, I considered buying the HF tire changer but wasent sure how it would work. I woudl like something to take to florida this winter, but as someone else eluded to they change them pretty cheap at track days.

the cost is usually reasonable at trackdays, but DIY tire changes are more about convenience for me...

I definitely don't enjoy mounting tires with spoons, but wrestling with spoons for a few hours is still quicker than making a special trip to a MC shop or to a track day.   If you're already going to be at the track, then sure, but that never seems to be the case for me...

Plus I always got stressed about changing tires the morning of a track day.  wrenching on a deadline (real or imaginary) is never fun, and I think it encourages mistakes.

I bet he didn't even scratch the rim. Screw that.

That was a case of working harder instead of smarter.  Always lubricate; always ensure the opposite side of the bead is in the recessed portion of the rim....aka 1/2 way down the rim. 

the cost is usually reasonable at trackdays, but DIY tire changes are more about convenience for me...

I definitely don't enjoy mounting tires with spoons, but wrestling with spoons for a few hours is still quicker than making a special trip to a MC shop or to a track day.   If you're already going to be at the track, then sure, but that never seems to be the case for me...

Plus I always got stressed about changing tires the morning of a track day.  wrenching on a deadline (real or imaginary) is never fun, and I think it encourages mistakes.

Thats my worry, getting it done in the middle of a track day or something instead of drinking water and resting up for the next session.

"That was a case of working harder instead of smarter. Always lubricate; always ensure the opposite side of the bead is in the recessed portion of the rim....aka 1/2 way down the rim"

Your correct on that Ryan. Technique sometimes is most important part of the job. I noticed the no/stingy lube job as well. I can only imagine what he went thru to break the bead.

Jester, I always plan on missing a session if I'm doing a tire change around lunch during a track day. If they get mounted and balanced quick, then sometimes you can make it back in time. Once you get accustom to your bike and know the required tools by heart it takes very little time for the actual change out......unless you are working on Jinu's evil 675 rear wheel that never fits properly.

I try to change/flip mine at home to save money for tracktime, but sometimes it makes more sense to do it at the track...especially if you are doing more than one day in a row.

"That was a case of working harder inst. d of smarter. Always lubricate; always ensure the opposite side of the bead is in the recessed portion of the rim....aka 1/2 way down the rim"

Your correct on that Ryan. Technique sometimes is most important part of the job. I noticed the no/stingy lube job as well. I can only imagine what he went thru to break the bead.

They probably edited that out because he was trying to break the bead while the tire was still inflated. :)

I would hope he isn't that bad normally and it was just the camera spotlight that caused the issues.

After watching that video, I feel a lot better about my tire changing abilities.  :D

I have the HF tire changer and I have changed lots of tires over the years. Mainly, I use the HF tire changer for breaking the bead. It works well for that. I don't wank on my rims like the guy in the video, and I don't spend "hours" changing tires either, as someone else said.

For me, like others, it's as much about convenience as money. Yeah, I save a few bucks by changing my own tires, but I also don't waste half a day getting to a dealer and waiting for them to do it for a hefty fee.

Plus, it gives me the flexibility of putting new tires on my Daytona when I'm doing a track day and then switching the lightly used front tire to either of my other bikes for thousands more miles of street riding.

I've used a Harbor Freight tire changer for the last 10 years. I've scratched several rims until I got some experience and learned a technique to changing tires.  Dynabeads work really well to balance tires.  Just pour in 2-3 ounces in the tire when it's half on.  There are a couple of good Youtube videos on using the Harbor Freight changer.

Tires are the only thing I won't do on a bike myself, I don't go through tires that often so can't justify the cost of a nomar and the space it would take up in my garage. I'm happy to spend the $50/year to bring the wheels to a local shop and have them do it. If things change, if I start doing 10 track days a year or something like that, I would consider it.