What. A. Great. Helmet! Darn you, Nathan!

YSR_Racer_99

Nathan kept posting up deals on beeeyoootiful helmets, but I just can't justify some of the prices.  He posted up the day-glo yellow Bell RS-1 Emblem a little while ago.   I didn't care for the yellow, but he made me a good deal on the matte black/ gray version of the same lid, so I bit the bullet, and also ordered a light smoke shield.  They arrived quickly, and just as ordered. 

I finally got a chance to ride with the new lid yesterday (Sat 02/22/14) for about an hour, and am thoroughly impressed.   I've generally had Arai's and Shoei's, and my current go-to helmet was a Shark RSR2 (also a good helmet).  

This Bell is a great helmet.  Good fit and finish and amazingly quiet.   I ride a SV1000 with Yosh pipes on it, and heard those, but didn't have much wind noise at all.   Even on the highway at speed.   Mine is an unfaired bike, so I'm all up there in the wind blast, and it was still great.  Incredible stability at speed, too. My head didn't bounce around AT ALL.   I feel a lot of turbulence with my Arai's and Shark on the highway, and it gets old pretty quickly, but this Bell is very stable.  May be the lip on the back, or whatever.  But whatever they did, it works.   Cheeks are a little tight, but 40mm thick is stock and I ordered some 30mm this morning, so we'll see how that does.  

Now I'm kind of curious about the Star series, but for what I do, this RS-1 is near perfect, at a great price. 

Thank you, Nathan and RD!   Money well-spent.

• Upvote 1

I also bought a Bell RS-1 (dayglow yellow for safety) from Nathan for a great price. I always had Arai helmets before. I am really impresses with the fit, finish & aerodynamics of the Bell. In hindsight it seems that the high prices on many of the "premium" helmets may be due to their high advertising/ sponsorship costs rather than the quality.

I wear one of these... Be careful messing with the pads, the foam inside has junk adhesive and will start falling out... And the magnet in the strap fell out of mine... Loved it at first, can't wait to replace it now... It's not awful, it's a nice helmet, but the finish just isn't there for me

I just bought a Bell Revolver Evo. State 8 in Peninsula had it for $139.  I haven't seen it anywhere for under $199.   It's a modular!     So far it feels pretty good. Feels sturdy and comfortable. The locking mechanisms are aluminum I believe, not plastic. All the parts move real nice. Everything closes nice and snug. I love the bell face shield set up. The shield just pops right off with the levers and goes back on real easy. Vents open and close nice.   I'm liking Bell so far!

I wear one of these... Be careful messing with the pads, the foam inside has junk adhesive and will start falling out... And the magnet in the strap fell out of mine... Loved it at first, can't wait to replace it now... It's not awful, it's a nice helmet, but the finish just isn't there for me

I had the same problem with the magnet. I just glued it back in with a new cover from some scrap fabric I had laying around. An annoying little failure in a helmet I really like. The magnet is held in by 2 pieces of fabric tape. The magnet is quite strong so once the adhesive ages a little the magnet pulls the tape right off the strap if it sticks to something metal like a tank. :(

Craig

I simply called Bell and they sent me out a repair kit for my magnet problem...at no charge of course.  Kit is basically some adhesive lined heat shrink tubing and a new magnet.  I'll take that little snafu given it's better than my Arai's I was buying.

Yea the magnet wasn't a big issue because it just glued back... But the foam falling out was kind ridiculous... It glued back too, but doesn't leave me with a safe feeling for the rest of the build quality

Way better than my hjc - but not near as nice as my shoei

Never owned arai

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, I'm researching a new helmet to upgrade from a Scorpion EXO 400. Right now I'm partial to Bell's RS-1. But it seems to be marketed (and per Anthony's review on Revzilla) to more of a track and agressive rider than someone who commutes and does some longer rides - planning on more long rides. I'm looking for quiet, comfort, and good ventilation. The phototransitions shield would be sweet, too.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/rs-1/#

Anybody have any experience with this helmet flows well and is stable in more of an upright, less of a tuck position? I'm aware that as a race fit design, the cheek pads are supposed to be tight, but I'm not likely to mind so long as it stays ventilated.

Chris

Bells are the bomb. I have the Star - Day of the Dead. Graphics are so detailed and out of this world. It's several years old and is the nicest one I've had. I've never had problems with the padding or the magnet. And that's with me pulling out the lining and washing several times. Super stable at speeds. I use for track and commuting and twistes. Also comes with a nice helmet bag. I picked up a photo chromatic shield and it is worth every penny. Never have to carry two shield again.

I'm a Bell fan for life.

• Upvote 1

Been racing with Bell helmets since they came to the US. Was skeptical at first, but they are amazing lids. Especially the Star and RS-1. Not sure what the foam falling out deal is. They have removable liners so, may be an inner liner? I am 100% sure that Bell would stand behind the issue and help you out.

I was testing a Star as a pre production and the shell'a graphics were breaking apart. They took care of the issue as I haven't had an issue yet. Also, they've changed liners and shell shapes a tad. Always improving.

Great lid for street or track. Can't go wrong.

Hi guys, I'm researching a new helmet to upgrade from a Scorpion EXO 400. Right now I'm partial to Bell's RS-1. But it seems to be marketed (and per Anthony's review on Revzilla) to more of a track and agressive rider than someone who commutes and does some longer rides - planning on more long rides. I'm looking for quiet, comfort, and good ventilation. The phototransitions shield would be sweet, too.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/rs-1/#

Anybody have any experience with this helmet flows well and is stable in more of an upright, less of a tuck position? I'm aware that as a race fit design, the cheek pads are supposed to be tight, but I'm not likely to mind so long as it stays ventilated.

Chris

Hatred for my rs-1 aside, it flows pretty well in an upright position... I ride a naked bike so no wind protection and I sit upright... No major issues.. I get a loud annoying buffering if I turn my head to the side while riding.. Very small annoyance, but overall it's a perfectly fine helmet for upright riding position

It's pretty loud though... I had a cop behind me with his sirens on and I didn't hear him... I was doing 86 and no ear plugs just wind noise... He claims he was behind me for half a mile, but I'm not so sure I believe it... Fucker pulled up next to me, then cut the wheel and about fucking ran me over... Ended up riding off into the shoulder to prevent getting ran over... Followed by being held at gunpoint and screamed at by officer farva

Edited by Steve Butters