Smartphone Question - Experts?

JohnG

Drawback to the Note 3 - If I put it in an otterbox, it makes the thing seem HUGE.  I like having my phone on my hip, I'm not a pocket carry guy, and the holster setup for the Note makes it feel like I'm wearing a tablet.

I was always a hip carrying guy until I got my Note 2. I no longer do that, I have a rubber case on the back and a nekkid front. It has been no problem, and I run mine on my handlebars on my bike for nav and tunes a lot. I have not broken it or scratched it. I agree you are not going to be carrying your Note on your hip. Kinda of like trying to concealed carry a full sized 1911. It's doable but not comfortable or easy. Bottom line is the choices you have it narrowed down to are like anything in life.....there is good and bad. You have to decide which of the good are more important to you and which of the bad you can live with.

I would suggest toughing it out with your current phone to get an S5 and be done with it.  :D

I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.  Samsung has their shit together with their phones and tablets.

Well, I almost pulled the trigger on a Note 3 last night, but the pricing was back up around 3 hundo.  Not gonna do that.  The Note 2 offerings are all refurbs now and since the camera in the 3 was upgraded to be just as good as the S4, that pretty much rules out the Note 2.

I must admit, I'm iPhone curious.  I just can't bring myself to go there.  

Drawback to the Note 3 - If I put it in an otterbox, it makes the thing seem HUGE.  I like having my phone on my hip, I'm not a pocket carry guy, and the holster setup for the Note makes it feel like I'm wearing a tablet.

Undecided...

Depending on the carrier, you can still get Note 2s online.

I'm using one that's basically brand new from T-Mobile (and the internet is great out here; 4MB/s sustained download, a little more than a MB/s up.

Depending on the carrier, you can still get Note 2s online.

I'm using one that's basically brand new from T-Mobile (and the internet is great out here; 4MB/s sustained download, a little more than a MB/s up.

that's "great"?

34.21 mb/s download... 4.63 up here

Always had droids, always had problems. Got an Iphone5 2 years ago.

Only issue was that the lock button stopped working after I had it a year. Took it to the Apple store and they replaced it on the spot, no questions asked. Can't beat that.

A phone running an android distro is not necesarily a Droid™. 

Motorola (with very few exceptions) made Droids (Droid™ Droid R2D2™ Droid X™ Droid Razr™ etc)

Other smart phones can and do run an android based operating system. (your samsungs, your LGs, your Casios..etc)

just FYI... when you say "I got an Iphone", there is only 1 series of iphone, both for operating system and for device.

if you say "I got a droid" it's pretty ambiguous if you mean you had a generic device running a modified android distro, a licensed "Droid™" or a nexus device running Google specs and a vanilla distro of android.

My guess is the second and latter will give better results than the former. (with perhaps a rare exception from Samsung or other high end developer.)

Some people don't care for Sense from HTC or Touch-wiz from Samsung, but from what I've seen, they're about the best Android phones out there, Samsung probably edging out HTC, especially most recently. 

I personally think Motorola has dropped the ball since they started making Android phones.

Yeah, I think I'm going to rule out the iPhone.  I've enjoyed the variety of aps available with a droid and I'm not sure I'd have as many choices with Apple.  I've talked to a couple of the other techs in my group that feel the same way, one is a droid geek that tried an iPhone for a year and plans to go back to a droid and the other is an iPhone guy that wants to get a droid.  I know that IOS is a kickass system, but I'm afraid of being locked down to what they want to give me and nothing else.  Just doesn't really fit my 70's hippy persona...  I gotta be free, man.

For what I use my phone for (four different e-mail systems, on-line searching, texting, very little calling) I think that the Note 2/3 would be awesome.  I just don't know how I'm going to carry the damn thing.  Like I said before, I'm not a pocket carry guy and the thing is mighty big to hang on my hip.

Lots of good opinion here, lots of good info.  Really appreciate it.

that's "great"?

34.21 mb/s download... 4.63 up here

Are you quoting megabytes (MB) or megabits (Mb)? I was on bytes. Most speedtest.net defaults to bits.

In megabits/sec I'm at 32 and 9.

Edited by Ryan_c_F

Not sure this is a reason to buy samsung but they have basically hired Slacker to make a music streaming app for just Samsung owners....ad free. I found it yesterday and have been using it. It is good, it is certainly slacker.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnshaughnessy/2014/03/08/samsung-enriches-galaxy-smartphones-with-milk-music/

Ok... guess that is pretty good..

Haha, didn't recognize you with the different AV, bro.

I've been with 3 of the major carriers thus far... AT&T was fast, but expensive, and had customer service departments run by Lucifer the Most Unclean. Sprint was nice, and feature-packed but their coverage sucks in my area, and the 3G was honestly lawsuit-worthy slow. 100 kB/s... please. That's ridiculous.

T-Mobile is my new thing and so far I'm liking the combination of price and honesty in disclosure ("you're paying X/mo for your charges, and Y/mo for your phone purchase"). It's actually quick to the point where I'm considering cancelling Time Warner for a home-based hotspot instead.

Edited by Ryan_c_F

Haha, didn't recognize you with the different AV, bro.

I've been with 3 of the major carriers thus far... AT&T was fast, but expensive, and had customer service departments run by Lucifer the Most Unclean. Sprint was nice, and feature-packed but their coverage sucks in my area, and the 3G was honestly lawsuit-worthy slow. 100 kB/s... please. That's ridiculous.

T-Mobile is my new thing and so far I'm liking the combination of price and honesty in disclosure ("you're paying X/mo for your charges, and Y/mo for your phone purchase"). It's actually quick to the point where I'm considering cancelling Time Warner for a home-based hotspot instead.

I used to be a T-MO customer back when i had my Sony Ericsson T300, my samsung V200, D415, and Eventually the google phone.

My problem was that I couldn't make a call from home save for 1 corner of my house and even that was spotty.

My sister got VZW and had service everywhere... So I switched.

I got the motorola rizr, and then the moto Krave. Then i got the samsung Omnia (which really sucked) before getting the original Droid™, then the Droid™ x2, Iphone 4, Droid™ 4, and now I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

If Tmo gets their network in order I wouldn't mind switching back. 

I used to be a T-MO customer back when i had my Sony Ericsson T300, my samsung V200, D415, and Eventually the google phone.

My problem was that I couldn't make a call from home save for 1 corner of my house and even that was spotty.

I got the motorola rizr, and then the moto Krave. Then i got the samsung Omnia (which really sucked) before getting the original Droid™, then the Droid™ x2, Iphone 4, Droid™ 4, and now I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Nice.

Well if it's any help to you, T-Mobile seems good thus far and the price point is crazy-low -- $70/mo plus fees and phone amortization for unlimited everything, no monthly contract save for owing the balance on the phone if you cancel early.

Smartphone-wise, I went Samsung Blackjack -> Iphone 3G -> Evo 4G -> Evo 3D -> Note 2 -> Note 2. Won't ever buy an HTC phone again. They were both abject garbage.

If I wasn't handcuffed by corporate restrictions, I'd leave Verizon for T-mo just on cost savings and the flexibility of the month to month agreement.  Verizon definitely has the coverage advantage going for them, tho...

My "first" cell phone was a Uniden bag phone.  Plenty of junk between that and the Crackberry 8520, which I really loved.  Then the dark side called and the sojourn through touch screen devices began.  Sammy is going to be the way to go from here...

The omnia was just so Off-putting (could have been windows mobile's fault) and Motorola had such great reception... (something I've noticed lacking slightly in the Note 3)...

it seems like sammy has their shit together now, so we'll see. Hopefully I'm not disappointed again.

The omnia was just so Off-putting (could have been windows mobile's fault) and Motorola had such great reception... (something I've noticed lacking slightly in the Note 3)...

it seems like sammy has their shit together now, so we'll see. Hopefully I'm not disappointed again.

Off pudding?

Off pudding?

off-put·ting

adjective

adjective: offputting

unpleasant, disconcerting, or repellent.

"his scar is somewhat off-putting"

synonyms: unpleasant, unappealing, uninviting, unattractive, disagreeable, repellent, offensive, distasteful, unsavory, unpalatable, unappetizing, objectionable, nasty, disgusting...

off-put·ting

adjective

adjective: offputting

unpleasant, disconcerting, or repellent.

"his scar is somewhat off-putting"

synonyms: unpleasant, unappealing, uninviting, unattractive, disagreeable, repellent, offensive, distasteful, unsavory, unpalatable, unappetizing, objectionable, nasty, disgusting...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhj9B2hymBw