Motorcycle Dealer's Cost vs MSRP on a new bike. Advice?

JackFlash

Scott at Iron Pony would get you into the FZ09 at a very competitive price.

If that's too much bike for your needs right now, I'd wait it out a few months until Yamaha brings the FZ07 to the states. Early reviews say it's a pretty brilliant bike. Might be the successor to the SV 650. Sv650 itself may be a good bet for you. Used models go for $3000 and under all year long.

Susuki_SV650.jpg

That SV 650S is probably a good choice.  I don't think I've ever seen one on the road, and

I would like a bike not more than three years old.

As for the FZ09, there no wind protection there, and it's a lot colder at five o'clock a.m.

when I'm headed to work.

I was expecting to spend in the range of $6k.  That's about what I'm comfortable with, for

my next bike.  I hope it gets me something that keeps me smiling.

Not an easy answer. You need to ride a few to get a good

feel for how much is enough. Also the flatness of the torque

curve is more important than peak horsepower on the street

(within reason).

I was reading about that last night, that torque is more

important than horsepower, on the street.

Do you mean the torque should be more linear, or do

you mean that peak torque is best when it stretches

over a wide rpm range?

I was reading about that last night, that torque is more

important than horsepower, on the street.

Do you mean the torque should be more linear, or do

you mean that peak torque is best when it stretches

over a wide rpm range?

Yes. You want it broad in the low rpms and move linearly to the peak HP. If it doesn't have enough low end torque, you will need to keep the rpms higher.

Flat torque curve is easier to ride as HP progresses with RPM more consistently. But shit, so many choices. Your next bike doesn't have to be your last. Buy something that's a good value and give it a go. Sell it and get another. All bikes (with very few exceptions) have more than enough power.

Edited by turnone

Do not look past 07-09 Yamaha FZ6. Very competent bike with 95 rear wheel HP and same brakes as FZ1, R6, and FJR. Way more bike than the FZ6R, better components and very comfortable.

I see low milage bikes all the time from 3500 to 5000.

Edited by whaler

A bit on the high side, but a good looking example of the FZ6...

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/mcd/4312937995.html

A great example of low miles and good price for a very capable bike...

http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/4342440932.html

Edited by whaler

My bike has 47 hp (34.3 kW) at 9200 rpm and

29.5 ft·lbf (40.0 N·m) at 7400 rpm of torque.

Your GS500? 

Figure on closer to 37hp for the air-cooled 500cc twin.  The  EX500 has liquid cooling and 3500 more RPM to use, and one in great tune will still barely make 50hp.

I guess if you're comparing factory claims of horsepower at the crank, 47 could be reasonably close, but then Kawasaki would be claiming more like 60 for the EX500.

What you really want to do is look at horsepower increases as a percentage, and consider power to weight ratio.   The FZ6R is a mild step up, but admittedly better in every way than a GS500.  It will be smoother, more powerful, and the fuel injection is pretty darn nice to have.  That said, it's not what I would buy for the money.  But that one for sale in the classifieds here looks pretty good.

Have you thought of getting just an FZ6? Not the R model? I can only give my biased opinion but the FZ6 is a good utility bike. Sort of one of those jack of all trades master of none. There are usually some pretty good deals on them. Are you looking at the R due to the seat height? Just wondering?

• Upvote 3

Have you thought of getting just an FZ6? Not the R model? I can only give my biased opinion but the FZ6 is a good utility bike. Sort of one of those jack of all trades master of none. There are usually some pretty good deals on them. Are you looking at the R due to the seat height? Just wondering?

I can't think of a better all-around bike than the Fz6. I think the mfgr HP is 98 at the wheel. I think I remember the Dyno reporting 88 or so. That is my favorite ex-bike.

• Upvote 1

Like the guys said in the other posts if you want to step up and grow into a bike if you can't afford a ninja 1000 have you thought about an older z1000 it's almost the same as the ninja just naked. And you can find the on the cheap

Don't limit yourself to a three yr or newer bike.

This is Ohio. There are tons of low mileage older bikes out there that are in brand new condition.

With 6k to play with, you can have pretty much whatever you want if you lift the age restriction and are prudent in your search.

I feel a need to correct this bad information.

My bike has 47 hp (34.3 kW) at 9200 rpm and

29.5 ft·lbf (40.0 N·m) at 7400 rpm of torque.

These figures are more likely correct.

33.99 HP @ 8500 rpm (cranksh)

25.08 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm (cranksh)

Jack, just PM'd you....upgraded momma unit on bike. New/old stock. Interesting experience with dealers. Price high and lo was 2 grand on same bike model.

There are deals in private sector....just sold the SV, coulda let ya ride it before hand and ya woulda know on SV.

Best of luck in yer search...good hunting!

Jack, just PM'd you....upgraded momma unit on bike. New/old stock. Interesting experience with dealers. Price high and lo was 2 grand on same bike model.

There are deals in private sector....just sold the SV, coulda let ya ride it before hand and ya woulda know on SV.

Best of luck in yer search...good hunting!

Mama trade in the banana?

• 2 weeks later...

Mike has sold his Busa as well as the Buell. The yrf something or other he had sits in a dealership in Mansfield....purportedly, no one has looked at it...the other Yamaha, something something letters....only headlite had fairing....no go down, just the style...has been sold...didn't even know about that one being available....

'99 Blackbird $3900 in Kansas, sorry can't get pics to stick.....

The stuff is out there....