Moto Series Round 1 May 2-4

TRMN8TR

I know last year first round I took a piece of asphalt coming out of the caresoul and then they put cones around the hole.  Thing is, it was directly in the acceleration line and super dangerous.  Sounds like this was way worse.

Glad everyone made it home safe.

The exact same holes opened up this round, plus more on the back straight....all right one the racing line. Even with most people avoiding the holes, the back straight ended up looking like someone walked down the track sprinkling a bag of course gravel.

How about we document the track conditions and sit outside the gate letting everyone going in know what they are in store for.  And while we're there how about signing a petition to get management to actually PERMANENTLY correct the track problems or we'll work to get orgs to boycott the track.

The time for talking has come and gone now only our actions will dictate what they will do.  They've had plenty of time and opportunity to fix the track conditions for years.

That's just how I see it.

Craig I would (obviously based on my decision to pull out) be happy to help on that conversation, and help Todd have other conversations as well.

Your decision should always be to pull out. :)

I will let you know, I'm sure he is getting blasted with a bunch of people.

• Upvote 1

Management doesn't care, that's the issue.  They've made their buck, anymore it's just a whatever kind of thing. 

You might want to add me to the list of damaged radiator's,just got off the phone with the wife and she told me there's something on the garage floor this morning.

Not sure how that happened cuz I was only out there 3 laps !!!

They won't be making anymore bucks off of me this year.

You might want to add me to the list of damaged radiator's,just got off the phone with the wife and she told me there's something on the garage floor this morning.

Not sure how that happened cuz I was only out there 3 laps !!!

They won't be making anymore bucks off of me this year.

Dude 3 laps and game over?  That right there is a BAD day, sorry to hear. 

Not exactly 3 laps,but that's what Craig was telling everyone !????

I did 3 sessions,1was 3 laps,the next was a 9 minute session(I'm guessing we only get 9 minutes instead of 20 now)and the 3rd I was sitting on pit out for 10-15 minutes waiting for the session to start.

Got frustrated cuz I knew my tires were cold and went back into the pits.

I didn't notice and leaking but then again it rained real heavy shortly after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Management doesn't care, that's the issue.  They've made their buck, anymore it's just a whatever kind of thing. 

They will care when we get orgs to start cancelling their weekends there.  Then they have one of two choices to make: 1) fix the shit permanently or 2) sell the place to someone that will.

As a car/bike/house/etc. owner I expect things to wear out and need replacing.  Tires, brakes, roofs, etc.  If I were a track owner I wouldn't look at it any differently and neither should they.  They are selling us on a properly paved and safe environment but they have failed miserably doing so for several years.

Management WILL care when people stop going there.  They have a huge stash of money because they certainly haven't invested any of it into the track or facilities in decades.

They will care when we get orgs to start cancelling their weekends there.  Then they have one of two choices to make: 1) fix the shit permanently or 2) sell the place to someone that will.

As a car/bike/house/etc. owner I expect things to wear out and need replacing.  Tires, brakes, roofs, etc.  If I were a track owner I wouldn't look at it any differently and neither should they.  They are selling us on a properly paved and safe environment but they have failed miserably doing so for several years.

Management WILL care when people stop going there.  They have a huge stash of money because they certainly haven't invested any of it into the track or facilities in decades.

You haven't heard/read the story about selling it have you?  They've had several buyers, until they find out the EPA won't allow it unless they remove EVERY tire from the tire walls.  Then they find out that costs millions more than the buying price and walk.  It's been going on for years, longer than any of us have been racing there.  That's why management doesn't care, because they already made their $$ and at this point it's whatever.  if they cared, it'd already have been fixed, a long time ago, same with bathrooms, tearing down all the old outhouses, tech shed, etc. 

It's past the point of fixing anything there unless they drop millions into it which ain't happening up there.

It sucks, but eventually it'll close like so many other places, unless someone can convince the guy that bought PIRC to buy it because apparently that guy has more money than the US Gov't borrows annually and likes to spend it.  That place is sick now and about to be even sicker when the expansion opens.

I didn't make it up due to not having the part I needed.  Glad I missed it...  The thing is, it hurts the series more than anything.  People aren't going to want to race there if the surface is so bad.  I'm also a bit miffed at the Dunlop situation and am thinking of just the Putnam rounds...

Putnam round...there's only one on the calendar that I see. :D

Wasn't there a tentative second round?  That sucks...  Oh well...  I will be looking at returning to WERA.  I tried the Moto Series thing and may still run there.  Just not thrilled with some things and with the fact it is a Nelson based series, I am not willing to buy new parts due to the track not relating to a crash...

You haven't heard/read the story about selling it have you?  They've had several buyers, until they find out the EPA won't allow it unless they remove EVERY tire from the tire walls.  Then they find out that costs millions more than the buying price and walk.  It's been going on for years, longer than any of us have been racing there.  That's why management doesn't care, because they already made their $$ and at this point it's whatever.  if they cared, it'd already have been fixed, a long time ago, same with bathrooms, tearing down all the old outhouses, tech shed, etc. 

It's past the point of fixing anything there unless they drop millions into it which ain't happening up there.

It sucks, but eventually it'll close like so many other places, unless someone can convince the guy that bought PIRC to buy it because apparently that guy has more money than the US Gov't borrows annually and likes to spend it.  That place is sick now and about to be even sicker when the expansion opens.

Come on, man.  I think there's a lot of BS flying around about the costs to fix that place up.  It should be cheap to buy given it's condition.  As for the EPA and the tires, find a place that will shred them onsite and reuse the shredding for the new surface.  There's lots of ways to clean it up, keep the EPA off their ass and make the place better.

I didn't make it up due to not having the part I needed.  Glad I missed it...  The thing is, it hurts the series more than anything.  People aren't going to want to race there if the surface is so bad.  I'm also a bit miffed at the Dunlop situation and am thinking of just the Putnam rounds...

The dunlop thing sucks for sure, not sure why they waited until the week before the first event to make the decision on not providing us tires.

Come on, man.  I think there's a lot of BS flying around about the costs to fix that place up.  It should be cheap to buy given it's condition.  As for the EPA and the tires, find a place that will shred them onsite and reuse the shredding for the new surface.  There's lots of ways to clean it up, keep the EPA off their ass and make the place better.

I don't think it's BS.

There was an agreement-in-principle to sell the track a few years ago.  It was indeed abandoned due to the tire walls.  I seem to recall $1 per tire to dispose of them properly. They estimated over 1,000,000 tires.  That sounds stupid high to me, but I bet there are a lot more of them hiding that any of us realize.

Then there's the repave cost.  I would guess they would be looking at $200k just to resurface the parts of the track where we're leaned over, and some of the major problem areas on the straights.  A full re-pave would likely be at least double that.

But repaving means higher speeds, and the need for more run-off in some areas.  The track simply doesn't have the land in some places, and there are swamps in some of the other areas. 

I hate to say it, but I think the track is just going to continue to deteriorate.  Someone might be willing to make the repairs, but not pay the asking price on top of that...

I think another problem is that places like PIRC are just going to get more and more busy and be more difficult to secure enough dates to make a series out of it.

I don't consider that a problem.   Bike money is just as green as car money, and we dont' abuse the track surface as much.  The tracks should be happy to have us.

Having the track itself be booked solid is also good.  I means they are going to be around for a long time, and be able to afford the maintenance and improvements. (read South track!)

On the positive side though, the layout at Nelson's would be a lot of fun if it was reasonably smooth. It flows well and is fast but not crazy. It's only 30 minutes from my house so I hope it gets fixed up. I feel like if there was some transparency with the issues some intrepid racers/track day enthusiasts may organize and help out.

I don't think it's BS.

There was an agreement-in-principle to sell the track a few years ago.  It was indeed abandoned due to the tire walls.  I seem to recall $1 per tire to dispose of them properly. They estimated over 1,000,000 tires.  That sounds stupid high to me, but I bet there are a lot more of them hiding that any of us realize.

Then there's the repave cost.  I would guess they would be looking at $200k just to resurface the parts of the track where we're leaned over, and some of the major problem areas on the straights.  A full re-pave would likely be at least double that.

But repaving means higher speeds, and the need for more run-off in some areas.  The track simply doesn't have the land in some places, and there are swamps in some of the other areas. 

I hate to say it, but I think the track is just going to continue to deteriorate.  Someone might be willing to make the repairs, but not pay the asking price on top of that...

I totally disagree and still believe it's BS.  Here's a TV program more than 4 years old about reusing tires for paving.  You say it will cost millions to remove them and I say they have all the material they will ever need to repave the damn place.

It's all BS.

Wasn't there a tentative second round?  That sucks...  Oh well...  I will be looking at returning to WERA.  I tried the Moto Series thing and may still run there.  Just not thrilled with some things and with the fact it is a Nelson based series, I am not willing to buy new parts due to the track not relating to a crash...

Sorry, Brian.  Didn't mean to burst your bubble there. :)