Ride to the Gap....opinions?

Blitz

Any of the guys that's ever ridden to the gap have any opinions on the trip? I figure it's 400 miles. Sometimes I'll ride 300 in a day around Ohio. I'm considering riding down to save money, instead of trailering. Any opinions here?

Edited by Blitz

I wouldn't say my max is 300....just that that's what we rode. I think I could get comfortable on the freeway.

It's more about the logistics. To trailer I have to drop my bike off in Cbus (live an hour away) and then get ride back home. Same for when we get back to pick up bike. Then I have to drive my truck to Dayton area and leave it there to ride with the carpool. And when I get home I have to get both vehicles home. So, all of that is somewhat of a pain that is all avoided by riding. Plus, I won't be at the mercy of others and can come and go as I please....

Any of the guys that's ever ridden to the gap have any opinions on the trip? I figure it's 400 miles. Sometimes I'll ride 300 in a day around Ohio. I'm considering riding down to save money, instead of trailering. Any opinions here?

It's 525 miles for me, Home to Hotel. I ride it several times a year and I am 54 or so. Ride it.  Don't have to be boring, cut across 62 from C-Bus to Lexington. It's a very nice ride scenery wise...all the HUGE horse farms...and only adds 20 minutes to the trip. Plus you don't have to risk your life going through Cincy.

• Upvote 1

When heading for the gap, I usually leave Cbus early and have lunch a little north of Knoxville. I am riding the tail of the dragon in the early afternoon. Granted, I ride a touring bike. If, as you say, you can get comfortable on the freeway, make the trip on the bike. It really isn't that hard. Just take an ibuprofen or two and wear some biker shorts. It will make the campfire beer that evening taste much better. It was that trip that sold me on the benefits of sport touring bikes.

Thanks guys. I have an 03 GSXr, but have risers for clip-ons which takes considerable weight off the wrists. And I have some brand new sport-touring tires, so flat spots on the dragon shouldn't be a problem. I'm seriously leaning towards riding down.

Not to mention, the weather tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous.

Edited by Blitz

When heading for the gap, I usually leave Cbus early and have lunch a little north of Knoxville. I am riding the tail of the dragon in the early afternoon. Granted, I ride a touring bike. If, as you say, you can get comfortable on the freeway, make the trip on the bike. It really isn't that hard. Just take an ibuprofen or two and wear some biker shorts. It will make the campfire beer that evening taste much better. It was that trip that sold me on the benefits of sport touring bikes.

Next time detour the northern part of the 'Devils Triangle that sends you west of knoxville well north of the city....then south to the dragon.

http://www.devilstriangletn.com/

It would look like this:  http://goo.gl/maps/gSvBW

116 is the part you want. Be warned, the road is awesome....then it can go to crap in a heartbeat.  Early on there are three EXTREME switchbacks right in a row....45 degrees up and if I were through the corner I could reach out and touch you going up on the other side of the corner.  The Bushy State Prison is cool, it's abandoned, you can park by the sign and get pics of your bike there....sometimes the one remaining guard will come out and take you in for a little tour.

Riding down probably wont be a problem for you, but I would ask yourself if you can enjoy the riding down there and still be able to make the 300+ miles back home.

• Upvote 1

Enjoy the trip no matter if trailering or riding. Spring is best, for me....early and no riders (like go right now) and it's warm with greenery showing. Stay at hotel in Knoxville and easy ride to 129....or venture to my former haunts at Lake Lure....Bat Cave and Chimney Rock. All the roads are great down there. Location ? Think Asheville between it and Hendersonville. I got it down to 7 hrs with trailer rig.

I tend to think trailer as I wouldn't want to carry a broken bike home on my back. Ethanol is all I ever found down there. 2Tall mentioned Fontana(?) for real gas....check in folks, otherwise carry yer own fuel, hence the trailer thought.

But have fun.....N Ca 28 is very nice.

Seester sold her place so no free space no more...until she retires and moves back down yonder..

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles

Thanks guys....decision was made for me though. The girlfriend needs my truck while I'm gone, so I don't have a ride to Springfield if I trailer. So, I'm riding the bike down. Wish me luck.

Thanks Tonik for the roads. I'll definitely check them out on the way there or on the way back.

Ask MJ about riding down lol.

Trailer down to enjoy the time there more. Can't haul all your food and supplies. Break down. Wicked flat spot on your tires etc. Other than Rollinhot everybody else that rode down for this annual trip only did it once and said not again.

• Upvote 1

Trailer down to enjoy the time there more. Can't haul all your food and supplies. Break down. Wicked flat spot on your tires etc. Other than Rollinhot everybody else that rode down for this annual trip only did it once and said not again.

I never figured you for that big of a vagina...

It's not the destination that's important.

Edited by BadTrainDriver
  • Upvote 1

Are you kidding? I've never known Todd to ride unless it's above 75 degrees with less than 10% humidity and a light south-westerly breeze  :yellowsnow:

• Upvote 2

I typically ride down every year. 500 miles one way for me. Never was a problem. Even did it 2 up last Oct with the woman on the back. She completely enjoyed it, even the couple hrs in the rain at 80 MPH on 75 north thru Kentucky. Hell, I've detoured thru Deals Gap on my way to Columbia, SC on the bike. That's a 13 hr trip.

It's fun to ride to the gap if you stay off the slab. I've ridden my cbr there via WV,VA,KY from Cleveland in a day & I'm no youngster. Don't let the naysayers get to you. I wish I had the vacation time, I'd ride down with you.

It's fun to ride to the gap if you stay off the slab. I've ridden my cbr there via WV,VA,KY from Cleveland in a day & I'm no youngster. Don't let the naysayers get to you. I wish I had the vacation time, I'd ride down with you.

What's a good route? 

Next time detour the northern part of the 'Devils Triangle that sends you west of knoxville well north of the city....then south to the dragon.

http://www.devilstriangletn.com/

It would look like this: http://goo.gl/maps/gSvBW

116 is the part you want. Be warned, the road is awesome....then it can go to crap in a heartbeat. Early on there are three EXTREME switchbacks right in a row....45 degrees up and if I were through the corner I could reach out and touch you going up on the other side of the corner. The Bushy State Prison is cool, it's abandoned, you can park by the sign and get pics of your bike there....sometimes the one remaining guard will come out and take you in for a little tour.

Looks good. I am going through there a couple weeks after we get back from South Dakota. Looks like a good way to avoid Knoxville and get in some extra twistees. Edited by Connie14

Some of us actually ride when we get down there. ;)

I've never done because of time constraints but one time I shall ride down and do it the Pauly way. Take 2 days to get there via all the fun roads in oh, wv and ky