Ride to the Gap....opinions?

Blitz

As IP mentioned, 23 is a decent route to travel.

There are many good roads off of that route, if you leave yourself the time to explore, you will be rewarded.

Do some research, again, well worth it!

I only ride down when I travel alone...that should need no explaination.

I have made this trip several times, often different ways... plan a main route to make up time if needed, mark certain roads of interest off of said route, note the "must ride roads", figure it out (time, mileage, fatigue, etc.) as you go. 

I made it down guys. Thanks for all the advice. I wish I had read some of these routes and tips before leaving because I would have avoided some hardship. But nothing too crazy.

I slabbed it down I75, hitting Cincy at about 4:45pm. Mistake 1. The ride from there to Knoxville was uneventful and great....and the weather was perfect. Then I hit a traffic jam 30 miles before Knoxville due to a truck fire, that had traffic at a dead stop. Bike was hot, I was sweating and it was now 9pm and dark. An hour later I was back up to full speed and now freezing.

But I did make it. Rode the dragon today and a lot of other roads in the area. I'm now exhausted, but planning to hit it again tomorrow.

Any advice on a better route to take to Central Ohio (home) would be utilized. I learned that even though the interstate is the most direct route, that's the same roads everyone else takes. And when traffic stops, you sit. Not a good way to get anywhere fast.

And any advice on other roads to ride while I'm down here would be great too. We hit 321, 129, 28 and some of the guys hit the Cheroholla Skyway today. I missed that cause I was cashed from the ride in.

Thanks again guys!

You have to get to the Cheroholla Skyway, really you do.  Also hit Foothils Parkway...go north from the dragon on 129, it is the first real right hand turn at the bottom of the mountain about 2 miles north.

Yep, hit foothills pkway yesterday. It was about 6:30pm and I was headed back by myself and that road was desolate. Not more than 2 cars the whole 20 miles or so. Awesome!

Might go hit it again today.

foothills parkway was great expect we did it early in the morning and it was cold and dense fog so we had to take it pretty easy the 1 time i did it

Cherry cola is a necessity too

• Upvote 1

Any advice on a better route to take to Central Ohio (home) would be utilized. I learned that even though the interstate is the most direct route, that's the same roads everyone else takes. And when traffic stops, you sit. Not a good way to get anywhere fast.

Pick up 68 in Lexington, take it all the way up across the river and up past Washington Courthouse and grab 71 up there. 68 turns into 62 a bit NE of Lexington. Same road. It adds 30 minutes to the ride.

http://goo.gl/maps/G6QGE

• Upvote 2

For me there is just something wrong with trailering past tons of good twisties to get to good twisties.

Especially when the bike gets at least double the mileage of the tow vehicle. The fuel savings literally pay for your hotel.

• Upvote 2

Yep, hit foothills pkway yesterday. It was about 6:30pm and I was headed back by myself and that road was desolate. Not more than 2 cars the whole 20 miles or so. Awesome!

Might go hit it again today.

Take the road just before the Foothills Parkway, Happy Valley RD., take your time on the switchbacks, they are very tricky, especially downhill...up the hill, and then down, is not recommended at higher speeds, a very fun technical section, when you see the bridge that you will cross under at the top, slow down, the pavement is very rough and sketchy...Enjoy!!!

You can take it to the Parkway... I prefer to turn around at the church, and ride it back the other direction, feels like a completely different road.

• Upvote 1

The LocalRiders crew out of Cinti puts together a NC trip every year in early Sept.  Part of the 'pageantry' is the route choice from-to in finding the best back roads for the trip.  We spend lots of time researching and mapping and usually manage to have a great adventure in the process.  Note that our destination is not Deals Gap but Waynesville, NC, which puts us in the heart of the mountains and close to the BRP and Cherhola Skyway, as well as some absolutely awesome secondary roads like 215, 276, 209, 281-Canada Rd, 28, and whole bunch more if you go south into GA.  Here's last year's routes down and back, and if you go into the forum's Touring thread, you'll find additional routes from years past.

2-day trip south:

http://www.localriders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=160786&postcount=101

Return trip north:

http://www.localriders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=161059&postcount=181

EDIT/ADD:  to use Mapmyride, click on the View Route Full Screen on the right of the page, then click to expand the Directions on the left of the page, which enables interactive following of the route by hovering the mouse over the directions box.  You can also export the route as a GPX or KML file.

Edited by Bubba

• 2 weeks later...

Another really late plug for trailering....smiling as I say it.....being in a gas station in Ky and listening to your key outa the bike tumble down thru the body work and into the dark nether regions of....well, the only key and try finding it in the early twilight. Miles and miles from home...even if you had a duplicate key resting in/at the home place.

Welcome back home.

I just road down last week to the Gap and had an amazing time! I handled the ride down there without a problem and that's probably due to the fact I ride a Katana. I was a little leary as I've only been riding a few years, but I'm so glad I did. I really enjoyed the C. Skyway as well, and I think with all the talk The Dragon gets, which is warranted, that it can be overlooked and what a fantastic ride! I'm making multiple trips back down this summer because I look at it this way. If I'm going to go out riding all day, meaning 6hrs or more, then why not ride to one of the best roads the nation has to offer? Not taking anything away from the roads in my area in SW OH and NKY because I know there is a ton that I haven't experienced yet. The Dragon and C.Skyway are just such fantastic rides though, that it's worth the ride down even on the eway. Glad you made it back safely Blitz.

Take the road just before the Foothills Parkway, Happy Valley RD., take your time on the switchbacks, they are very tricky, especially downhill...up the hill, and then down, is not recommended at higher speeds, a very fun technical section, when you see the bridge that you will cross under at the top, slow down, the pavement is very rough and sketchy...Enjoy!!!

You can take it to the Parkway... I prefer to turn around at the church, and ride it back the other direction, feels like a completely different road.

Found Happy Valley Rd last fall during the government shutdown. Foothills Parkway was closed and had to hit other roads across the mountain.