2014 Eastern Mini Roadracing Championship! (6/21 & 22)

redkow97

His own thread? I'll happily call the little bitch out. #77 Phillips. No fucking reason and all to ride like that. He crashed several people other than you. On top of that made several dirty inside passes almost taking me and one other out on the fucking sighting lap! No damn reason at all to ride like that on a warm up lap. And the little bitch fit he threw when they made him grid last because he tried to pull up several rows and grid 4 wide up front so then plowed thru people in turn one damn near causing a major pile up. And if I'm not mistaken didn't he also cause the crash that sent Hill to the hospital? I think he made a wise choice to not come to the awards at the end as I'm sure several people were looking for him.

Glad he's not part of OMRL, hope he is also not welcome at any future events and 30 people is way too may to have on one grid. That should've been split.

His own thread? I'll happily call the little bitch out. #77 Phillips. No fucking reason and all to ride like that. He crashed several people other than you. On top of that made several dirty inside passes almost taking me and one other out on the fucking sighting lap! No damn reason at all to ride like that on a warm up lap. And the little bitch fit he threw when they made him grid last because he tried to pull up several rows and grid 4 wide up front so then plowed thru people in turn one damn near causing a major pile up. And if I'm not mistaken didn't he also cause the crash that sent Hill to the hospital? I think he made a wise choice to not come to the awards at the end as I'm sure several people were looking for him.

Glad he's not part of OMRL, hope he is also not welcome at any future events and 30 people is way too may to have on one grid. That should've been split.

Sounds like a 1st class asshole.

I have no problem calling him out either, but I was going to wait to get into it until everyone posted their results.

I agree with at least 90% of what you said.  Splitting the grid should not have been an issue though.  I think there needs to be more spacing between each row when the grid is that size, but 30 should be safe.  Frankly, with the exception of Phillips, everyone on that grid WAS safe. 

I would like to think that if Kent and Conrad had seen Philips's riding in-person (i.e., if they'd had to pass him, or race against him) they would have been more proactive about reprimanding him earlier in the day.  I made contact with him in morning practice on Sunday, but avoided him in qualifying.  I was 5 seconds a lap faster than him, but had a HELL of a time finding a way around him without making contact.  That should not be the case.

I think his riding was totally unsafe and overly aggressive.  I heard some people say "that's flat-track style."  Okay, but it wasn't a flat-track event.  If I went and tried to put my knee down at a flat-track event, I would expect to get kicked and bike-checked.  Maybe he was expecting us to run over his leg.  I came damn close on at least 3 occasions.

What really upset me though was that he was allowed to start the last race of the day after completely ignoring the black flag in the stock XR race.  If you're ignoring the safety rules, you should be booted from the event. Period. 

I won't grid up with him again until I have seen him demonstrate that he's safe.  Call me a pussy for taking my ball and going home, but I had zero fun on/after that re-start.  I was just worrying about when (not even if...) he was going to put me or someone else at greater risk than necessary.  I'd love to have seen everyone take that approach in the last race of the day.  Shit, I would have paid back their race fees to watch the guy circulate on the track alone, and then get booed when he accepted his #1 plate for being the only rider in the class.

That guy was a complete bitch, thats really all i can say about him. Both the start wreck and the bad one happened right in front of me and i can honestly say there was no reason for the bad one to even happen other then the guy came in way to hot and plowed into everyone in that turned causing complete havoc.

Edited by bowdog

Another thing that was very dissapointing to see this weekend was the pure ignorance of the track workers...Blue flags were not shown when they should have been, yellow flags were damn near non existant etc. That is a very nice and fun track to race but i think they need to get there stuff together before next year.

And huge props to Conrad, Kent, Russ etc for setting this event up! all and all we had a good weekend!

I thought the yellows were okay - but the blues were non-existent, I would agree with that.

If anyone has footage of Brian Phillips causing a sketchy situation, please post it up. I'll be looking to compile a "greatest hits" thread at some point.

That guy was a complete bitch, thats really all i can say about him. Both the start wreck and the bad one happened right in front of me and i can honestly say there was no reason for the bad one to even happen other then the guy came in way to hot and plowed into everyone in that turned causing complete havoc.

In all seriousness, you guys need to call the organizers and make sure they know what happened.

Saying you refuse to grid up if that guy is allowed to race would probably get him banned.    

I had a great 1st weekend with the OMRL group! Got there a little late Saturday and ran really bad times in practice, lol! Unfortunately the clutch on my sumo went Sunday mornings practice. Quickly prepped my little 60, had no practice and qualified last in F2. Really appreciate those in charge for allowing me to switch classes at the last second and even having a chance to be out on the qualifier. Decided I didn't want to stick around for the last race if I couldn't be competitive, not with a 5 1/2 hour drive ahead of me.

Looks like I have some bike repair/setup to take care of, then I'll definitely be going to another round!

Thanks again for the fun weekend!

In all seriousness, you guys need to call the organizers and make sure they know what happened.

Saying you refuse to grid up if that guy is allowed to race would probably get him banned.

They knew. The PIRC lady that was on track and I believe to be in charge as she said her dad is the boss there was out there for all of it and was with the squad loading the bad crash. She came back to the hot pit and was talking with the other flaggers and some of our guys about said bitch boy ignoring the flags and unacceptable riding and she still let him regrid.

The kart people were worthless, and on top of that, they were kart people...  I don't know how they could take this stance, but I thought they were claiming they didn't know what "aggressive riding" looked like. 

What I was a bit more upset by is that Kent and Brian didn't address things more firmly.  To be completely fair, I know Kent went and talked to the guy after I voiced concerns to Kent.  I do not know what was said, or how he responded.  I also think that it should fall on Ryan Flemming to go the extra mile to keep riders from his club in-check.  If Kent went down and said something to Ryan about anyone, I would have expected Ryan to put an immediate stop to it.

I think of it in terms of how I would react...  If Ryan came up to me telling me to back off, I might think "this guy doesn't know me... WTF?"  If Kent came up to me and said the same thing, I would absolutely take it seriously and be legitimately apologetic toward whoever complained. 

From what I saw, this guy's response was to go out and run into me in Turn 1, then ignore black flags. 

• Upvote 1

I had a great 1st weekend with the OMRL group! Got there a little late Saturday and ran really bad times in practice, lol! Unfortunately the clutch on my sumo went Sunday mornings practice. Quickly prepped my little 60, had no practice and qualified last in F2. Really appreciate those in charge for allowing me to switch classes at the last second and even having a chance to be out on the qualifier. Decided I didn't want to stick around for the last race if I couldn't be competitive, not with a 5 1/2 hour drive ahead of me.

Looks like I have some bike repair/setup to take care of, then I'll definitely be going to another round!

Thanks again for the fun weekend!

wish we had met man, not really sure who you were. We were the guys in the red and white camper flying the Ohio Riders banner.

Edited by bowdog

The kart people were worthless, and on top of that, they were kart people...  I don't know how they could take this stance, but I thought they were claiming they didn't know what "aggressive riding" looked like. 

What I was a bit more upset by is that Kent and Brian didn't address things more firmly.  To be completely fair, I know Kent went and talked to the guy after I voiced concerns to Kent.  I do not know what was said, or how he responded.  I also think that it should fall on Ryan Flemming to go the extra mile to keep riders from his club in-check.  If Kent went down and said something to Ryan about anyone, I would have expected Ryan to put an immediate stop to it.

I think of it in terms of how I would react...  If Ryan came up to me telling me to back off, I might think "this guy doesn't know me... WTF?"  If Kent came up to me and said the same thing, I would absolutely take it seriously and be legitimately apologetic toward whoever complained. 

From what I saw, this guy's response was to go out and run into me in Turn 1, then ignore black flags.

Agreed.

wish we had met man, not really sure who you were. We were the guys in the red and white camper flying the Ohio Riders banner.

I walked by that truck, but at the time, no one was around. I was parked behind the NJ crew basically on the other side of the parking lot. Unfortunately, being late didn't afford me choice parking, haha!

I was riding the Suzuki rmz450 with rock star graphics and was walking around with my girl and usually our little jack Russell.

I think we met then.  I was talking to you guys about the gentle leader and the dog harnesses.  The pits were packed!  Record turnout is a good thing.  We had the Anderson Door Racing banner up on Sunday.  Not on Saturday though. 

mine were the ugly red/white/yellow/black leathers.

Thanks for all that showed up and made the event a great time. I had a blast and so happy that this event is getting bigger and bigger every year.. With that comes some people that can turn the great event into a disaster. As far as #77 is concerned, he isn't a part of NJ club, or ours.. He's only raced with NJ once from what I was told. He was racing like he was flat track'n..not acceptable for roadracing, especially in a race like ours where it's just for fun.. I knew Kent talked to him and Ryan might of. I was going to talk to him after the F2 race, but I couldn't find him. I don't know why he was allowed to race again after given the black flag in the XR race. I was unaware of that.. I told the starter to black flag him for jumping the start and bunting Jordan off the track in turn 1 for what was clearly a dick move. He didn't respond to it, so they gave him the waving black flag and he pulled off.

This was the first year we had PIRC take care of the corner workers.. It was something we talked about to help from us volunteering to cover the corners and to make the day run smoother/faster. We now know that they need to be given a class on the flags for motorcycles. The thing I wasn't happy about was the fact that the medic came on track with no red flag flown, just the yellow. No blue flags, and some of the corners were not covered.. Again, things we will iron out before the next event.. And if we have to do it ourselves again because it's more safe, we will! Remember, PIRC is under new management, things are a lot different then they were in the past.. I hope they get a little more relaxed on some things (like riding pit bikes around the pits) and more concerned about rider safety with proper education of flags and when to use them.

Other than a few little things that can and will be fixed, it went smooth and everyone had a good time.

One last thing.. I didn't agree with the 30 grid XR race. Devon and I talked to Kent after the riders meeting and asked him to split it for safety sake. He said he would look at the times in qualifying and if there was a big gap, that he would. I don't know why it never happened, but I'm not running the club anymore, so I couldn't make the final call on that.. Just suggest things and give my opinion

What you did do to try and split it is appreciated. 30 bikes on the grid with a 15 second lap time split between 1st and 30th was ridiculous. I will say it went way smoother than I thought it would though. And would've been smoother yet had 77 not been there. I'm completely impressed that no one confronted him in the pits and delivered an ass whooping as he deserved it from several people.

Now will be interesting to see points break down as our system only allows for points to 15th. Numerous people will be rather unhappy to have made the trip and spent a considerable amount of cash to get zero points. The flagging deff needs addressed for next time. Again not OMRL fault as you stated.

I'd echo Todd's comments on the scoring, but I'd like some clarification on how it's going to be scored before anyone gets too upset.

I know this isn't the proper venue, but I'll also informally "protest" my own result in the Stock XR race.  I was listed as 15th or so, ahead of Ben, Russ, and a couple of other people.  I crashed out.  Plain and simple.  Mark it a zero, Dude.  OVER THE LINE!

That noted, I will be submitting a proposed rule change for the club at the end of the year:  Rather than make this a "double points" race, I would like to see qualifying count as "race 1" and the feature count as "race 2."  I said this before the event, and it turns out it would have helped me A LOT. I qualified 5th, and got a DNF...  so instead of 0 points, I'd have scored ahead of everyone in our club, except Devon, Jared, and Kent.

The #77 situation...  Upon further research, he's a professional flat-tracker with some serious racing credentials.  I still feel that he was riding in an unsafe manner, but I'm slightly more willing to acknowledge that some fault for the incidents I was involved in falls on my shoulders.  He would stick out his foot, and I would (over?)react to that.  Had I just put my head down and ridden my race, it may have been less of an issue.  I still think the guy was riding like a dick though, and more importantly, an unsafe dick.  He wasn't at a flat-track event.  He wasn't racing against other professionals who are used to that kind of aggression, and perhaps most relevantly, he wasn't racing for the lead...  If he'd been kicking ass and setting lap records, I'd have thought, "well he's doing something right..."

I ran off in Turn one after 77 made contact with me, then crashed avoiding contact with him at the end of the first lap (all on the restart, so really lap 3 or 4).  I got back on the bike and rode in anger, in a vain attempt to catch up with someone.  Anyone.  Got a few of the slower novices, but I never got near Russ or Ben, or even Todd.  I took the white flag, and threw the bike away in turn one (at full throttle, riding the rev limiter).  That one was my fault.  But the fact remains, I am scored ahead of people who took the checkered flag when I did not.