Your First Bike

Disclaimer

So after reading the Harley thread that CBRGirl started (http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=12630) I searched and didn't find a thread about everyone's first bike. We all had to learn on something and of course everyone has an opinion on what a good first bike is, or the "limit" for a noob squid first bike.

I've been trying to get some of my younger coworkers into riding, as well as my girlfriend. I've been suggesting sv650s, gs500s, ex500s, Ninja 250s for those that have never had the riding experience, never used a clutch, etc. etc. My girlfriend ended up getting an '04 gs500f which I hope she'll start riding with me (instead of weighing the 'busa down...every pound counts! ;)) after she takes the MSF Basic course this May.

But, I wanted to hear everyone else's motorcycle riding experiences, their first bikes, their progression of bikes to what they have now...

I guess I'll start. Note, the pictures represent the bikes, some may not be the actual bikes I've had.

Bike: Honda ZB50 (Black and Red) Age: 7

Sorry, I can't find a pic of this bike. My dad uses it as a pit bike now for the track.

Bike #2: 1986 Honda FatCat TR200 (Blue and White) Age: 10

I did most of my learning (see wrecking, sliding, and crashing) on these bikes, my dad got two of them -- one for me and one for my brother.

fatcat5.jpg

Bike #3: 1999 Buell X1 Lightning Age: 16

My first "streetbike", my dad let me ride his bike around and take the DMV test on it.

Bueza.jpg

Bike #4: 1987 Honda Hurricane Age: 18

MY first bike that I bought -- I bought this even before I bought my first car. It was the cheapest liter bike I could find at the time. It's served me well for the past 6 years. Had one close call with a deer at 70mph, and one close call when a car pulled out in front of me, but never dumped it. Not that I would recommend a liter bike as a first bike, but I figured my 11 yrs of riding experience up to then would prepare me just fine. I was never into the twisties, so for cruising and drag racing...this machine was awesome. The last two times I had it at Norwalk, I won the cycle class, then finished runner-up the following week to my brother on my dad's Buell. :mad: It won't see the track anymore.

1_569372516_l.jpg

Bike #5: 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Age: 24

This is the bike I always wanted. 40th anniversary edition with the copper color. This will be my keeper for a long long time. Here's a pic of the ol' lady's gs500f, and my two bikes the 'busa and the 'cane.

1_l_ff356ee4400a53deef918fee54ff70e4.jpg

Bike #6: ????

I'd like to get a dedicated track bike-- sv650, 600cc, something to run the Fasttrax at Nelson Ledges, but I've run out of space in my garage. I think it'd be nice to get some time going hard in the twisties, so I know how much I can push a road bike. I've had my share of slides on a dirtbike, but I think I haven't lived until I've experienced one on a track bike.

Update 04/20/09

Bike #6: 2003 SV1000S purchased Sept 2008 - Copper to match the Hayabusa, the only "all copper" bikes Suzuki made - will be my 'beater bike' and trackday ride.

picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=1162

Ok, now that I've wrote my life story... how about everyone else? :cheers:

Edited by JRMMiii

i grew up on fourwheelers. i know thats not 2 wheel but i have pics of me sitting on my dads lap at like 5 or 6 years old operating the throttle and him letting me putter him around the yard. then i moved to a honda 50 dirt bike. with all those years under my belt i went straight for what i currently own, Kawi 636, i dont see anything wrong with it being a bad starter bike for anyone.

My first street bike was a 1976 Kawasaki KZ400, but I also had a street legal XR250 I rode a bit before that. I started riding dirt bikes when I was fairly young at my grandparents property up in northern Michigan, and the first dirt bike I could call my own was a CR80.

My first was an 82 Yamaha Maxim 750. Loved that bike. Ran the piss out of it. It had 40,000 miles on it when I got done. Finally gave it away cause of the cost to get it running again.

Second was a 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. The price was right and I wanted to get back in the saddle. Traded it after 4,009 miles. Wasn't what I wanted.

Current is an 01 Yamaha V-max 1200. OMG this is absolutely my favorite bike. If given another bike for free, I'd still ride this one. So much power that it's scary. Can't do turns real well, but on a straight line, nothing can touch it.

Good topic JRMMii. Lets see, My 1st love was a Honda Z50. I was 7. Yellow with a duct tape seat. Pin it in neutral, nail 1st and wheelie.

2nd was a '74 Yahama DT 360 Enduro. I was 12. My dad wasn't thinking well. Started at the porch and rode all over the surrounding farm land without stopping as it weighed about 400# and I was 6" from touching on either side. Learned alot on that thing.

3rd was a '77 Honda CB350. I was 19, it was $300. Rode that thing everywhere. Wish I never sold it, it would look good in the living room.

4th was an '84 Honda Shadow 1100. I was 21. It would keep up with my Ninja friends, until the twisties. Most comfortable bike ever.

5th was a quad. My first and only new vehicle. I was 31. Still got it. Its an Amaha

3c59re2.jpg

6th was an '01 Katana. I was 33. Go ahead, laugh. That pig was super reliable and the insurance was cheap. And it won sportbike class at every bike show I entered it in. (2):D

eab3re2.jpg

lousy pic, but the only one I have on the net.

7th is the bike I've always wanted. '06 Yamaha Vmax. She don't turn fast, she don't stop fast, she goes straight stonkin fast and DAMN, shes purty.

finished.jpg

And I ain't done yet.:metal:

I need to learn more about these VMax bikes. It sounds like a busa in cruiser trim. Don't stop, don't turn, but as long as you have a long straight road... you ain't got nothin' to worry about.

And what gives... everyone always misses the third 'i'? :lol::p

I need to learn more about these VMax bikes. It sounds like a busa in cruiser trim. Don't stop, don't turn, but as long as you have a long straight road... you ain't got nothin' to worry about.

Sorry, actually had to go back to see how many M's, forgot about the i's.

Since I admittedly need more practice launching mine (it's a lot different than the Hurricane)... I'm not getting into this swinging dick contest, but to offer a little UNSOLICITED friendly advice to you Nick...if you "man up" to Satan, I wouldn't do the 40 roll with that couch of yours against a much lighter bike. But, you may've already figured that out.

my first bike is the one im still on. 04 ninja 250. bought it at 1700 miles last year, left it in september when it had 6k on it. now it has 7k. its getting to be a tad slow for me, and im workin on getting my second, but idk if i could ever give it up entirely. my favorite rhetorical question: "that things a 250?"

IMG_0432plates.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

This summer for sure. I'll have my goodies attached. It's on homeboy!

Oh, I thought we were attacking the VMAX here though?

You are challenging the cop, right? Because I didn't say my Vmax was the fastest thing on the board. Its a pig. A fun pig however. And stonkin fast, but $120/yr for full coverage.

Since I admittedly need more practice launching mine (it's a lot different than the Hurricane)... I'm not getting into this swinging dick contest, but to offer a little UNSOLICITED friendly advice to you Nick...if you "man up" to Satan, I wouldn't do the 40 roll with that couch of yours against a much lighter bike. But, you may've already figured that out.

I've done a 70mph roll up to 175mph coming back from the dyno day out a deserted flat stretch. It was a beautiful stretch of 4 lane road and no cars ANYWHERE! We had to open them up. Insanezx10 and I. He got the jump good because I was busy counting it off with my hands when I should've done the horn. Anyways, he got the jump and stayed in front, but as we got closer to 160 and up, I saw him getting closer little by little.

Yeah, I can't launch too well either Justin. I figure with my goodies this summer, It will be a close race and I will prevail. :lol::D

It's not a swinging dick thing as you said. It's all in fun. I love competition!

It is all in fun... but shit, for $100, you guys are too rich for my blood. I got grad school bills to pay.

I would like to see how my 'busa would stack up against your ZX-14... stock vs. stock, just for shits and giggles. I think with your added horsepower, but my lighter weight (physically)...they'd match up pretty even.

From what I've read the Busa has far greater handling in turns than Mr. Max, but the Dyno's that I've seen show the Max has a higher top end....hence more power on the straight track.

I'm not into "challenging" anyone to a race, but I'd love to find a straight track to see what the Max has. Does anyone know if the 1/4 track at Kirkersville is open to the public now that Budweiser doesn't use it? I wouldn't even consider doing twisties at speed on this bike. I do want to ride the dragon, but at a slow safe speed.

I've never ridden anything like a Ninja or CBR, but I know that the Max has a LOT of power that I don't use. You can feel it wanting to pull out the stops.

If it could talk, It'd say "Damn, a pig is riding me!"

I love the looks that I get from HD riders. They pull up at a stoplight and then just hang their heads. They're pretty bikes. Max isn't pretty, he's fricken mean looking.

It is all in fun... but shit, for $100, you guys are too rich for my blood. I got grad school bills to pay.

I would like to see how my 'busa would stack up against your ZX-14... stock vs. stock, just for shits and giggles. I think with your added horsepower, but my lighter weight (physically)...they'd match up pretty even.

Oh, I would do more like $25. I'm not balling like that to be putting up $100. I'm married and my wife would be pissed if I somehow "did" lose. :)

Hey, I'm down anytime man. We should do it sometime. I'd love to race some Busa's. Yeah, I think my 280lbs of weight didn't help me with a light weight person like Insanezx10, even if I did pull 169hp stock. :(

I love the looks that I get from HD riders. They pull up at a stoplight and then just hang their heads. They're pretty bikes. Max isn't pretty, he's fricken mean looking.

Hell yeah, put'em in their place big guy. ;)

All they got is a heavy a little over 120hp vrod.

From what I've read the Busa has far greater handling in turns than Mr. Max, but the Dyno's that I've seen show the Max has a higher top end....hence more power on the straight track.

I'm not into "challenging" anyone to a race, but I'd love to find a straight track to see what the Max has. Does anyone know if the 1/4 track at Kirkersville is open to the public now that Budweiser doesn't use it? I wouldn't even consider doing twisties at speed on this bike. I do want to ride the dragon, but at a slow safe speed.

I've never ridden anything like a Ninja or CBR, but I know that the Max has a LOT of power that I don't use. You can feel it wanting to pull out the stops.

If it could talk, It'd say "Damn, a pig is riding me!"

Friday Night street fights at the trails nearly every friday. http://www.nationaltrailraceway.com/apcm/templates/schedule.asp?articleid=17791&zoneid=45&navsource=Track%20Schedule

BUT, don't race a Busa or 14 or any late model liter bike with the Vmax. You'll wonder where they went. The Vmax is fast, but those things have 20 years of tech on it. When the new one comes out, then we can talk shit, hopefully.