Straight White Guy Festival

Strictly Street

Do I need to "check my privilege" before commenting on this topic? Despite our white skin, most of my immediate ancestors didnt exactly have life served up to them on a silver platter. But I guess their struggle can't be compared to the immense problems faced by a gay born into the wealthiest and most tolerant society in human history...

This kid said it very well earlier in the year.

http://theprincetontory.com/main/checking-my-privilege-character-as-the-basis-of-privilege/

That's extremely well written and totally valid. I'll also add that anyone with Irish or Polish or German descent probably has a similar story to tell.

So go for it if you feel strongly. Organize that parade.

Edited by smccrory

Anybody in the USA that feels they have been unjustly treated due to their sex, skin, religion, orientation, class status,etc should travel abroad a little, or read some damn books.  Your "struggle" is the life dreams are made of, for a good portion of the world.

I agree with this thread being a joke.

• Upvote 1

The Egyptian Festival is the weekend of August 22nd.

The Indian Association celebrates the Diwali (Festival of Lights) every year.

The event is open to all Columbus residents and visitors.

African American Heritage Festival.

2014 marks 36 years for the Annual African American Heritage Festival!

Asian Festival.

...the festival has received strong support from state, city, corporate,

and communities every year since its beginning in 1995.

Festival Latino is the largest Hispanic/Latino event in Ohio

beginning Saturday, August 9th.

Ohio Scottish Games.

The festival is sponsored by the Scottish-American Cultural Society of Ohio.

Pride Parade and Festival.

Gays and gay sympathizers.

Dublin Irish Festival.

Irish & friends.

Sommerfest

Friday, August 22nd.

Oktoberfest

Ohio State Fairgrounds.

September 26-28.

2014 Columbus Italian Festival

October 10, 11, 12.

Greek Festival.

Labor Day weekend.

The Ohio Swiss Festival

September 24-27, 2014

Columbus Jewish Film Festival

November 2-16.

2014 Ohio Chinese Festival

Was in February.

Straight...white...and male.

Everyone else has their celebrations without

criticism.  It seems there just may be some bias.

What do you think?

• Upvote 1

I'm a descendent of irish 'indentured servants'....basically slaves, and post ww1 german immigrants. ...not exactly a popular group at the time. As far back as I can trace it, my family has been farmers and blue collar workers. I work for a company in which nearly every black person or woman that has been up against a white male for a promotion gets it, regardless of how under qualified they are and they retain that position regardless of how incompetent they are.

Tell me again about my privileged life.

Paraphrased from Carlin, but I think it's true. -Is it just me or should "pride" be reserved for something you've actually achieved, that requires some effort or skill? Proud to be white, proud to be male, proud to be brown eyed, all bullshit. Accidents of birth.

Edited by magley64
  • Upvote 1

This all reminds me of a outrage I read on Twitter about the coke addict mayor from Canada. (Mayor Ford, IIRC) Everyone was pissed and calling him a bigot for voting now on a proposition that would give money to help Young, Gay, Homeless Men. Wait..... who decided it had to be narrowed down. If we are helping, shouldn't we help them all?

Paraphrased from Carlin, but I think it's true. -Is it just me or should "pride" be reserved for something you've actually achieved, that requires some effort or skill? Proud to be white, proud to be male, proud to be brown eyed, all bullshit. Accidents of birth.

I'm proud to be a high-functioning computer nerd.  Does that count?

Straight white male fest? Isn't that Jamboree in the Hills?

Love bluegrass, and yea, good call!

Noting wrong with any festival organized by any group unless their mission is to hurt another group. I liked the post above about Gay Pride being an acceptable name but White Pride is not. Why is that?

To suggest that white straight guys should not be allowed to have a festival because they have not struggled in life is a screaming example of prejudice in and of itself. I was one of four boys raised by a single mother on the poverty line. My childhood was certainly not one of privilege.

• Upvote 4

The Egyptian Festival is the weekend of August 22nd.

The Indian Association celebrates the Diwali (Festival of Lights) every year.

The event is open to all Columbus residents and visitors.

African American Heritage Festival.

2014 marks 36 years for the Annual African American Heritage Festival!

Asian Festival.

...the festival has received strong support from state, city, corporate,

and communities every year since its beginning in 1995.

Festival Latino is the largest Hispanic/Latino event in Ohio

beginning Saturday, August 9th.

Ohio Scottish Games.

The festival is sponsored by the Scottish-American Cultural Society of Ohio.

Pride Parade and Festival.

Gays and gay sympathizers.

Dublin Irish Festival.

Irish & friends.

Sommerfest

Friday, August 22nd.

Oktoberfest

Ohio State Fairgrounds.

September 26-28.

2014 Columbus Italian Festival

October 10, 11, 12.

Greek Festival.

Labor Day weekend.

The Ohio Swiss Festival

September 24-27, 2014

Columbus Jewish Film Festival

November 2-16.

2014 Ohio Chinese Festival

Was in February.

Straight...white...and male.

Everyone else has their celebrations without

criticism.  It seems there just may be some bias.

What do you think?

Since you asked what I think... I think all those groups were the subject of oppression and/or discrimination to a much higher degree than white makes.  

It's just you.  "Pride" does not need to be reserved for something you've achieved.  You can "take pride" in who you are.  The problem is when pride in who you are turns into the opposite of that for people who WEREN'T born the way you were.

Noting wrong with any festival organized by any group unless their mission is to hurt another group. I liked the post above about Gay Pride being an acceptable name but White Pride is not. Why is that?

To suggest that white straight guys should not be allowed to have a festival because they have not struggled in life is a screaming example of prejudice in and of itself. I was one of four boys raised by a single mother on the poverty line. My childhood was certainly not one of privilege.

Probably because "White pride" was used to oppress others, not actually take pride in being white.

I see nothing inherently wrong with a bunch of straight white guys taking pride in being white & straight.  The problem is when they're using it as an excuse to be douchebags to people who are NOT white & straight.

• Upvote 1

Probably because "White pride" was used to oppress others, not actually take pride in being white.

I see nothing inherently wrong with a bunch of straight white guys taking pride in being white & straight.  The problem is when they're using it as an excuse to be douchebags to people who are NOT white & straight.

Exactly - you said it much more succinctly than I could have.

So... Straight white males throwing a festival automatically makes them douchebags... Gotcha

Funny how all the fucking people who call for an end to racism and for equality for everyone, are usually the most racist and don't even realize it.

1. All white males have had a silver spoon. Nothing worked for, no struggles.

2. It's OK to be proud, but if you tell anybody about it or celebrate - you're a douchebag.

Glad you guys made those points. Down with the white devil!

Edited by Steve Butters

So... Straight white males throwing a festival automatically makes them douchebags... Gotcha

Funny how all the fucking people who call for an end to racism and for equality for everyone, are usually the most racist and don't even realize it.

2. It's OK to be proud, but if you tell anybody about it or celebrate - you're a douchebag.

No, douchebags who act like THEY'RE the ones who are more victimized so they can feel good about their douchebaggery are douchbags.  Why the butthurt Butters?  Feeling unloved for your white hetero dudeness?  Want us to have a Tyler Parade to celebrate your diversity too?

Yup I hate white people because they're white.

• Upvote 1

None of us white skinned folks are truly Caucasians......end of story. The entire race thing and "minority" categorization is also stupid and archaic, and will always set some up to be less than and others to be greater than. Do away with it all for Christs sake, who gives a shit!!!!!!

Edited by Pokey
  • Upvote 1