Trade Question

2talltim

A guy on one of the Facebook gun pages wants to trade me my Hi Point c9 for a Keltec pf9.. No brainer trade in my opinion but he wants me to send him the serial number off the high point. Said he's going to run the numbers and he works for a law enforcement agency. I don't know this guy from any other stranger only thing I know is on his Facebook page says he is in the Marine Corps. What would you do? Seems like he doesn't want to proceed at all until I send him the serial number.

My concern is insurance or theft fraud. Send the guy the serial, he claims it was his on a insurance claim or police report and later claimed it stolen. So then I'm stuck possessing a gun on a hot list.

I had this happen to me, after giving a serial number of a gun to a potential trade. 

It's easy to fight if (BIG IF HERE) you have a sales receipt of some sort.

Any more, I make any trader/seller write and sign a bill of sale/trade, for this exact reason.

I would go with Gump's suggestion, and have the guy give you some sort of reference to verify that his real intention is just to check the "hot list".

In regard to him looking trust-able, his Facebook page saying he's a marine, etc... my Facebook page says I am God, work for Microsoft, and live in Hawaii... So I must be trust-able...

• Upvote 1

Just a little tidbit of info, make sure the PF9 shoots and cycles fine.  I traded for one on FB, got it, and it was a paperweight.  Tried fixing the mags, polishing the feedramp, wouldn't feed right.  Ended up being nothing more than a paperweight.  This was also a first gen as I ran the serial num off their site and it was before all the improvements.

Other than that, yes, no brainer.

I don't have problem giving serial number, but i also have documentation on all my firearms from pics, serial numbers purchasing receipts etc (mainly for the dreaded need of ever having to file insurance claims on them). Tell him you would like to run his as well and send it to me and i will have his ran for you to verify his is in fact not "hot"

Ask him for his ORI. Then tell him that running a serial number on a gun without a pending or open investigation is a LEADS violation. :)

This.

Anyone wanting to trade good crap for bad crap has alterior motives. Fuck this dude.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

When I asked him what law enforcement agency he worked with, he never replied again. Probably a good thing, my high point Is just one of my house guns and I know it shoots fine I would hate to trade it for something that was like said above a paperweight. Plus with the high point if I would run out of ammo I can beat somebody to death with it... lol

Ask him for his ORI. Then tell him that running a serial number on a gun without a pending or open investigation is a LEADS violation. :)

That stired him up...LOL..first line was his answer to who he works for

• Today
  • 7613_10204153811311811_56232232702376428
    9:12pm

Darren Smith

State of ohio in down town Columbus

• 10509621_10203189443271761_7604225100882
    -PAXP-deijE.gif9:15pm

Timothy Adkins

still does not feel right to me man, plus a friend told me this when i told him what you wanted......

Ask him for his ORI. Then tell him that running a serial number on a gun without a pending or open investigation is a LEADS violation

• 7613_10204153811311811_56232232702376428
    Darren Smith

Well there is a open investigation on a global n just like it in Fairfield county deputy meadows is running it if you want to be a smartass

So go ahead and report me

I ant scared

Sent from Rushville, OH

Edited by 2talltim

No offense to Tim or the High point but if this guy was actual law enforcement he would not be buying a High Point!

never thought of it that way..lol...i called the trade off, too fishy. I have nothing against high points they go bang that's all that matters. I only have this one because a local guy wanted $150 for it with 2 mags(filled with FMJ) and a cheap holster, I low balled him at $100 and he caved at $110 so I grabbed it. Nice to have something cheap I'm not worried about not keeping locked up or clean and can just throw it around or in a drawer. Edited by 2talltim

working for "the state" can mean ODOT's road crew, and being a Marine doesn't mean he won't try to screw you.

there's nothing wrong with being cautious.

You're going to meet in-person to make an exchange at some point.  I say bring the serial number to a law enforcement agency together.  Explain the scenario, and let an independent third-party run the number you hand the officer.  Then when it comes back clean, you hand him the piece of paper, and tell him he can keep the paper when he confirms that's what's on the firearm, and you make the exchange.