unOFFICIAL FALL Epic Ride - Saturday September 27

DerekClouser

I like the idea of sneaking a photo into the museum and making it seem like part of the display.

Lol.. no you make a donation and they put your photo on the wall where you enter.

RCBS at the least you should come to the meet and greets. I learned leading and sweeping comes with responsibility.

Most riders I know here are either squids, or pirates, neither is a group I'm really interested in riding with.

Are you positive that you are not getting your groups mixed up?

I've ridden with several from here and have never observed those

characteristics in anyone.

Anyway, come out of your shell and join a ride.  You will be at least

as welcome as Magz.  Hahaha!

I don't think "here" was referring to this site.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to everyone for putting this on...this was my first OR group ride in about 6 years and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks to Hellmutt/Snot for organizing and leading the W/SW group...it was good to meet all of you and wish I could have stayed around for the BBQ!

Thanks to Tpoppa for leading the fast group!  You set a reasonable and enjoyable pace!

• Upvote 1

This was my third time riding this season & my second group ride this year. I have been very busy at work & just haven't had the time. This event turned out to be a horrible experience for me last year or I should say prior to the event . I've decided that I don't have the desire to witness another rider get hurt even though I know it's a risk we all take. I want to know the people I'm riding with or at least have someone I know to vouch for them. I don't ever want to be responsible for leading an inexperienced rider to their doom. I still ride how I've always rode by myself, I understand & assume the risks. We all can go down at any time but I'm not talking about that, I've been down & I know plenty of good riders that have gone down. The difference is we weren't sucked into riding over our heads or caught up in a group ride atmosphere that ramps up our adrenaline allowing us to disregard our better judgement. That said I wanted to get past & shake off last years lingering doubts. The best way to do that in my mind was to join in this ride but giving myself an out if I felt uncomfortable or things didn't seem right.

Tony led the fast group for this event, I know, trust & respect his riding abilities so I intended to follow him thinking we weren't going to have anyone else in the group except for Jim who I am also comfortable riding with. It turns out we had two other riders start out with the group which made me a little uncomfortable so I told Tony that I was going to tag along in the back to see how things were going and that if I didn't like what I saw I would just go off to ride my own ride knowing that with Tony leading & Jim sweeping  they could clean up any messy riding. The two other riders rode like champs within the pace Tony set for this ride & I would be happy to ride with them again.

There I am riding along in the back of the group without any responsibility for the group because Jim was the official sweep rider, enjoying the worry free ride without a care in the world. What a nice day this is turning out to be when we pass by a rider going the other direction. The other rider turns around and falls in behind me. This is okay he is keeping our pace time for me to move aside & let him in the group. Nope, our new rider decides that the groups pace was not to his liking so he starts passing all of us. So far this is okay especially since once he gets past Tony he keeps on going out of sight. Hurray, he just won the road racing title and really showed us how wrong we were riding. I hope he goes on to find other people to impress. Hey wait a minute there he is again slowing down waiting for us to get behind him. WTF is this idiot doing? Oh no he didn't, he actually made us all slow down for some nice curves. Now it's clear he is trying to fuck with us because he can clearly ride faster than the designated group pace. This turn of events somehow needs addressing, nobody fucks with my people. I have no group responsibilities so I guess is up to me to chase this idiot off. I pass the group, get in behind him & he picks up his pace. Faster & faster we go with him winning until we come up on a car that our antagonist passes but I back off hoping he has fulfilled his MotoGP dreams secure in the fact that we had nothing for him that he couldn't outride thus he would continue on looking for other victims to display his obvious superiority over them. Tony slows the groups pace down for a while hoping this guy would get far out of range, I filter to the back of the pack and all is right with the world again. You have got to be kidding me, this M'Fer is back, same as the last time, he has slowed down to get in front of us again. He is actually slowing us down again going into another nice set of curves, what is this guys problem what is he trying to achieve, can't he take a hint, we do not want to play. So back up to the front I go again, back behind him again, he picks up his pace again and we keep going faster and faster. I will just do the same thing as the last time, wait until we come up on a car and not pass it, surely he will take the hint that we don't want him playing with us. No cars in sight, now what am I going to do? I don't know why or how but I suddenly form a new plan, not a good one or a well thought out plan, in fact a totally inappropriate plan but reason has left my body and I'm getting a little mad. My new plan was to dust him so badly that he would go find softer game to pick on. I pass him and start going at a brisker pace than where he topped out at. This is working, I can see behind me by turning around after turns that I am putting ground on him but I make the mistake of checking my mirrors for some idiotic reason. Never check your mirrors, never check your mirrors, never check your mirrors, I know this, no good can come from it and this mantra proves itself by allowing a 20MPH curve to sneak up on me. I'm going too fast, damn it, I should never let myself talk me into doing stupid shit. This is going to hurt, I can't make it.... No way, I stopped, thank god the entry was uphill and allowed speed to scrub off much quicker than expected. As usual when we think that we have lost control we throw away all reason & I slowed down way more than needed to safely make it through the curve. Embarrassed I turn around to see that the other asshole riding a motorcycle behind me has caught up to me. What do I do with that realization? Of course I slow down and get back to riding like a reasonable person. Yea, right, that would have made sense. So there I go determined to make sure this guy isn't going to catch me again and start riding like a complete idiot. Great big long straight after another series of curves so here I go up to 150MPH, a couple of rises in the road block the view behind me so I stay at 150 for a while. When I sit up to get a look behind me expecting to see the douchebag way back a couple of rises behind me I see no one. Nothing. What have I done now? Please, please, please don't let it be that this knucklehead went down. I stop and count to 60 still nothing, not even our group, they should have been here by now. Well not if that guy went down they would be helping him if possible. I turn around and start heading back toward what I anticipate to be carnage. Damn why am I such an idiot, I was acting worse than this guy, he didn't deserve this no matter how big of an asshole he was. I make it to the group and everyone is safe including the fuckhead that started this whole turn of events. He knew the route that I hadn't bothered to look at because Tony was in charge. Now I'm pissed at everyone myself included.

It turns out that I have ran across this guy before. In fact he was the sweep rider for the fast group two years ago on the spring ride that I was the lead rider of. He says to me that his bike is only running on three cylinders and that it's no wonder I could get around him because I was riding a 1K. Whatever dude leave us the fuck alone. What in the hell were you trying to do? No answer to that obvious question ever came and I just wanted to get going again.

I'm done typing for tonight but we pick up two more good riders at the gas stop and get back to the meeting spot. Our stalker shows up in a van at the meeting spot trying to talk. I couldn't have been less interested in talking about it especially with him at that point.

• Upvote 1

The goal for the day was that no one went down behind me, and that mission was accomplished.  Honestly, I prefer someone going down in front of me, but that's a tale for a different kind of forum :)

If I was with my normal group I might a have "played" a little.  Nothing against B Mac or Wolfman they are strong riders, just at that point in the ride we hadn't logged enough miles for me to build up trust to take the group faster than the preride pace we discussed.  

Sometimes fools test our sensibilities.  It was still a good day and a good ride.

Edited by Tpoppa

Wholly shit, ^^that's a ridiculous wall of text. What have I done?

Well Doc, you wanted something to read. It might not be entertaining but is sure will occupy some time.

Hahaha thx for sharing, now to find the name of the guy if at all he was in the forum :) dig up old footage

Lol.. no you make a donation and they put your photo on the wall where you enter.

RCBS at the least you should come to the meet and greets. I learned leading and sweeping comes with responsibility.

Yeah...I have no experience with either as I've only been on 3 group rides before and they were unorganized at best.

Sweet. Only *half of the forum will want to murder me!

I stand corrected.  I apparently also stand stupid.  :crazy:

Hoped no one would read it that way. Members here (on the forum) don't come off as squiddish in the least. Responsible riding is the prevailing theme on OR from what I've seen.

Before this gets too out of hand I'm going to lead with this. This guy is a good rider, he sacrificed a ride to sweep the fast group a few years ago for the spring epic ride.

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/90662-twisty-sportbike-ride-519-and-every-saterday/?hl=%2Btwisty+%2Bsportbike+%2Bride+%2B519+%2Band+%2Bevery+%2Bsaterday

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/104933-getting-back-into-riding-again/

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/90663-justin-butts/

Edited by Uncle Punk

No Shit, This can only get better. :bbq:

Question in the back, Is Gost Rider Justin or the Ken guy in the video who must have recently finished Dale Carnegie's "public speaking" online course. (all in fun :riding:

Brian

PS I ride better than I spell.

Edited by B-Mac

I have made a mistake it seems and have been confused about the screen name, riding group and the ghost rider. They are associated somehow but Justin doesn't seem to be the same person as the ghost rider. The older guy in the video is our ghost rider from Saturday. He certainly hasn't seen 25 years old in a couple decades and I'm skeptical that he is a Marine. My fault for getting the two mixed up.