Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)?

Wolfman1

So what do you think?  All the talk about flat tires in a previous post has got me thinking.  Is this something already available as a option or could we see as an OE item on a motorcycle in the near future?  I see there are a lot of aftermarket TPMS systems for motorcycles on the market.  Sure would be nice to know if I have a tire going down.

Wings and newer Kawi Concours already have this, but it would likely become more popular eventually as standard option on other OEM's -- more popular for a touring and cruiser market, but might catch on for other platforms as well.

There's aftermarket kits out there for bikes......here's one option and seems similar to others that came up on a search

http://www.amazon.com/TireGard-13-315A-Motorcycle-Pressure-Monitoring/dp/B0068FYAHK'>http://www.amazon.com/TireGard-13-315A-Motorcycle-Pressure-Monitoring/dp/B0068FYAHK

Love mine on the C14, the problem is when they go bad you have to improvise or spend big money. The battery only last 3 to 5 years and unlike your current cars they are not consumer serviceable you have to pay a Kawi tech about $150 to install and program a $150 replacment. Unless you are good at tinkering and take it apart and epoxy a new battery in it. Which isn't as easy as it sounds. I managed to replace the battery in my front on successfully but my rear I had to bite the bullet and replace it. Good thing I have a connection that cut me a deal.

Great concept but needs to be more user serviceable like say the Chevy ones are.

I love mine, usually leave it on that screen when I'm riding, but it will also trigger a red warning light when a problem us detected.

Edited by 2talltim

I don't know how well they work but there is ghetto option.  WalMart has valve stem caps that are green when they are above a specified pressure and red when below.  I passed because they looked stupid  but it might work for other folks.

I have this little display right above my speedo and tach.

9732f9d2a9f4356140806428457c5bd1.jpg

That is cool!  I would love to be able to look down and at a glance see my tire pressures while riding.  Like i stated before, it would be nice to know if you have a leak or a tire going down.

Wings and newer Kawi Concours already have this, but it would likely become more popular eventually as standard option on other OEM's -- more popular for a touring and cruiser market, but might catch on for other platforms as well.

There's aftermarket kits out there for bikes......here's one option and seems similar to others that came up on a search

http://www.amazon.com/TireGard-13-315A-Motorcycle-Pressure-Monitoring/dp/B0068FYAHK

Looks like a nice aftermarket option.  They say the weight of the sensors doesn't throw off wheel balance.  That would be my only concern.

I don't know how well they work but there is ghetto option. WalMart has valve stem caps that are green when they are above a specified pressure and red when below. I passed because they looked stupid but it might work for other folks.

Safety on a budget is a good thing, but as a techie I'd also probably go with something better. I just want the MUCH greater expense and vendor tie-in that most have.

• 2 weeks later...