Cleveland. Really? Nice 'stang, bro.

jporter12

This doesn't really have much to do with your initial question... If you read that pdf, it says the knuckle spacer on the lift kit failed, which caused braking imbalance and caused braking to be affected... It says the mfg took a 3.2Mil settlement for their liability.. So that's more to do with a faulty product than anything... It did say the bumper struck above the safety bars in the door, which would have occurred either way... Interesting read

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't really have much to do with your initial question... If you read that pdf, it says the knuckle spacer on the lift kit failed, which caused braking imbalance and caused braking to be affected... It says the mfg took a 3.2Mil settlement for their liability.. So that's more to do with a faulty product than anything... It did say the bumper struck above the safety bars in the door, which would have occurred either way... Interesting read

It's a bit of both.   I believe the override of the safety beam due to the height of the bumper was part of the problem (driver's liability) and the knuckle failure causing loss of braking was the other part of the problem (manufacturer liability).   Failure of the knuckle on an appropriate-height vehicle would have been mitigated by the safety systems in the jeep - and the high of the bumper would have been mitigated by fully functioning brakes.

With my Bronco the only thing I did to raise it up was bigger tires - that adds like 2 or 3 inches to the bumper height - I'm still well within the legal bottom-of-bumper height for this weight class vehicle.  Even then, if I get rear-ended by a sloping-nosed vehicle like a corvette or miata it'll miss my bumper and hit my fuel tank skidplate.  I'm looking at my options for a quick-adjust setup for the bumpers - lower on road, but easy to raise for improved approach/departure angles off road.

Iirc there are "bumper" laws for cars in Ohio, states your bumper must be within a certain range of height from the ground. I seem to also remember trucks being exempt.

in cincinnati the cops impound them.   a few years ago 2009 or so you'd see them all over the place.   now you see NONE

• Upvote 1