Deals Gap 10-10 to 10-14

2talltim

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bubba, you should join us and show him those roads!!

Reminder everyone, put your pin-locks back in. We will need them in the mornings in the mountains.

Hopefully mines not too scratched. "Someone" moved mine ąt Koolwinks and somehow got under the phone. [emoji16]

Bubba, you should join us and show him those roads!!

Yeah, come on down!

Yeah, I've been following this thread out of mild interest.  I've already ridden down to the NC area twice since late July, and that's after I lost 8 weeks on the bike earlier this summer due to a stupid old guy mistake and a broken collarbone in May.  Doubt I'll make the commitment, but it's still on my radar.  I'd love to meet and ride with you guys....someday.

Baring anymore whining by Dan here is my current itinerary.  Anyone is invited to tag along, the pace will be brisk for a cruiser.  Med to Med+ in OR terms.

Friday after work.  Rest area on I77 just south of 271 to Beckley WV leaving apx. 5:30.

Saturday  https://goo.gl/maps/EC4N6Tki7gF2   Beckley to Marion VA via 16, slab to 212/209 then to Cafe Rel then 28 to Robbinsville.

Sunday  https://goo.gl/maps/78sA7mQpdfm     28 to Walhalla SC, west to 68 via some nice stuff then north to Skyway to Robbinsville

Mon.   https://goo.gl/maps/yv2G8xgdN5k    Dragon then all backroads zig zagging through Dan Boone Nat. Forest to Lexington.

Tues  Lexington to Cleveland, probably via 62 because Cincy sucks.

Edited by Tonik

Front brakes are all squared away, all I need to do is change my oil. 7200miles on the current oil, kawi says 7500mile intervals who am I to argue.

Think im going to work on the fuel tank breather vent also. Tired of listening to the bitch scream when I give it to her on a warm day.

Edited by 2talltim

OK, started the planning. Going to leave my house about 4pm on Friday 10/9 and go to Jellico (~3hrs) and stay the night there. Then get up in the morning and head to Robbinsville (2.5 hrs). Will work on the routes for the other days this eve.

Jim, what time to you plan to hit Cafe Rel on Sat?

Can we update the OP with the people confirmed going? I'm going to PM you guys with my cell # and email address so you can reach me on the road. If you text me, I can answer via Siri when I'm riding (or at least try).

Also, if anyone wants to join me on the ride down on Friday, let me know. I'll be working from home on that day so if you want to come down earlier in the day and meet me at my house, you are welcome to do so.

Edited by ScubaCinci

One other thing...I'm buying a disk lock for my bike (I don't currently own one). Might be a good idea to bring one or similar security device (not sure about the cabin but thieves are known to scope out hotels in the gap area).

Spend that money to up you insurance policy. [emoji6] Edited by 2talltim

Jim, what time to you plan to hit Cafe Rel on Sat?

I would say between 3 and 4 o'clock. We can trade texts that day as we go along and nail it down. Robbinsville to Franklin is an hour so we can give you plenty of warning for that.

One other thing...I'm buying a disk lock for my bike (I don't currently own one). Might be a good idea to bring one or similar security device (not sure about the cabin but thieves are known to scope out hotels in the gap area).

I have my 38.

I would say between 3 and 4 o'clock. We can trade texts that day as we go along and nail it down. Robbinsville to Franklin is an hour so we can give you plenty of warning for that.

I have my 38.

Sounds good...

the .38 doesn't help if you are sleeping and they jack your bike.

I'm buying a disk lock for my bike (I don't currently own one). Might be a good idea to bring one or similar security device (not sure about the cabin but thieves are known to scope out hotels in the gap area).

I have my 38.

Sounds good...

the .38 doesn't help if you are sleeping and they jack your bike.

Never had a worry at the cabin in 10 yrs staying there.

Ah, the benefits of owning a 35,000 mile VStrom, the world's most homely motorcycle. :D

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear...my condolences.

Thank you, he's had COPD and been on hospice for a while now. Yet he still smoked a pack or more a day, said he was going to die doing what he wanted. Pretty selfish really. So no suprise on the out come just a long road dealing with all the family shit. Also trying to get her mom acclimated and getting all the official stuff taken care of. I probably sound a little too black hearted about his passing but there is a lot more to thr story too. Just kind of glad it's all behind us.

Trying to plan routes and upload them into the Garmin 660LM is a effing PITA. Supposedly basecamp doesn't play nice with these (routes often give an error message on device) and mapsource is shit software. I've managed to create routes in Google maps before and import them to the GPS but it took me forever to get it right and I forget how I did it now. The KML files always want to import as tracks, not routes, which sucks ass.  /rant

Matt and I are still on track to leave Saturday afternoon after my son's flag football game. If the game gets canceled for any reason (like weather) we'll be heading out early. Shawn text me about maybe being able to make it if anyone has a spot on a trailer.