Deals Gap 10-10 to 10-14

2talltim

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda sent me a recall on my Grom. They want me to take it in and replace the emissions sticker on the swingarm. They won't just give me the sticker.

Not gonna happen. I'd probably end up peeling it off anyway.

In Honda's defense they probably can't...most recalls are via an agreement with some government agency that is in charge of creating red tape and wasting taxpayer dollars. :rulez:

I am pretty much the biker that discovered Cafe Rel and turned on the rest of the biker world to it. That is a known fact. No way I can go down there and not go to it. It's tradition. It's mandatory.  Scuba, you should ditch Dan too and head down Friday, you could easily get to where I am staying Friday from Cincy after work. Econo Lodge is like 60 bucks.

It's a win win for you, you get to ditch Dan and get Blue Crab Bisque.

I am pretty much the biker that discovered Cafe Rel and turned on the rest of the biker world to it. That is a known fact. No way I can go down there and not go to it. It's tradition. It's mandatory.  Scuba, you should ditch Dan too and head down Friday, you could easily get to where I am staying Friday from Cincy after work. Econo Lodge is like 60 bucks.

It's a win win for you, you get to ditch Dan and get Blue Crab Bisque.

I was taken there several years ago by a local when I was down with the FZ1 guys. Since then, I've stopped every year except this year because they were closed :hungry:

I've actually been thinking about leaving Friday after work to break up the trip - I'll let you know. My literal ass (on the stock or Sargent seat) is not up to a 5 hour trip but I just bought a used Saddleman seat from a guy that should be here this weekend that I'm hoping will do the trick. The Sargent gets really uncomfortable after about 1.5 hours.

I plotted a route with some twisties after Knoxville a few months ago which could be handy if I do part of the trip on Friday, I can't access it from work or I'd post it.

I would not change an arrangement made because of a meal.

Says the guy that ditched me to meet Andy at Bob Evans on the departure day for the WV trip.  Now stop complaining and just stay on your bike an extra 2 hours and meet me in Rocky Top Friday night.

I am not riding 9+ slab hours after work on Friday.

I will most likely ride to Pikeville KY Friday night and stay at the Landmark, another of my favorite motels.

From Pikeville to Robbinsville offers a ton of excellent roads

It's 7 hours of slab, unless you traded that SV in for a Harley. And that's 7 hours in Google time which is like 6.5 tops real time.

And Pikeville to Robbinsville does not get you to Franklin where Cafe Rel is actually located.  How about tossing up a decent route from Pikeville that gets us to Franklin late afternoon before the massive Saturday lines to get into Cafe Rel develop. Compromise grasshopper.

Going to order a Sena just so I can sync with you and bitch for four days.

• Upvote 1

I modified it slightly so we pick up 212 before we get on 209, but either way is fine with me.     https://goo.gl/maps/nadMRrXRXgv

So now we meet at the rest area on 77 just south of 271 after work Friday and head to Pikeville. Seems appropriate as we can re-enact the Hatfield and McCoy feud while there. Since I leave Elyria at 4:30 and you leave Solon at 5 I have plenty of time to the rest area.

Damn old people sheesh, always making stuff so hard.

Wow...just confirmed your cost. It has gone way up since last time I stayed there...maybe 3 yrs ago

If we slab to Beckley WV Friday and stay there....then we could do this:     https://goo.gl/maps/QSASp5Mh16U2

Just coming up with ideas, don't go all ballistic on me again. It hurts my feelings.

How the fuck have we never eaten at this place in the years we have been going down there. I just looked it up on Yelp and the food looks phenomenal.

Me neither Matt, it's a God damn tragedy I tell ya.

This prob marks my 20th trip down there in my life and I always forget. And I've knew about it for the last 3 or 4 trips.

Edited by 2talltim

How the fuck have we never eaten at this place in the years we have been going down there. I just looked it up on Yelp and the food looks phenomenal.

Me neither Matt, it's a God damn tragedy I tell ya.

That just amazes me. Not only is the food amazing the atmosphere and back story are epic.

First, you MUST get a BOWL of Blue Crab Bisque. Not a cup or you will be sad.  Any of the other food is amazing but the bisque with a Cuban Press sandwich is a great combo.  The bread that comes with the Italian olive oil sauce is also epic with the soup. You will want more, it costs extra and you won't care.  CASH only.

Back story, the owner is the grizzled old man, reminds me of the soup Nazi in Seinfeld. His big thing is do NOT get a table until ALL of your party is there. And by there I mean right there next to you, not out in the parking lot or five minutes away.  No waiting around taking up one of his tables. He WILL throw you right the fuck out if you violate this rule, seen it happen. He trained in France, and was actually pretty famous over there until he moved back here and opened up this place. He always has a very new Ferrari parked outside. Very cool dude.

Last time I was there I said to him, 'you know been coming here for years and you never look older'.  He said 'you are so full of shit your eyes are brown'.

I found it by accident, stopped at the gas station it is attached to for gas with a buddy. It was lunch time and 110 out with 300 percent humidity. We were dying, he looked at me and said where is lunch...I just looked around..saw it and said 'There' because it was close and we were dying.

Edited by Tonik

People overlook it because it's attached to a gas station, I remember when I brought my friends there for the first time, they were skeptical (we do a car trip down there every year) but now it's a must do on our itinerary every year. In fact, since we realized it's closed Sundays, we've re-planned next year's trip to get there on Saturday.

There's a newish BBQ place on the outskirts of Cashiers coming from Highlands that smelled damn good...I think it was Carolina Smokehouse. Wouldn't mind trying that place too.

The other tragedy is, that's the gas station we always stop at..lol

The one that ass-rapes you with prices $0.50+ more than others in the area? I like that they have non-ethanol but only for regular - the S10 drinks the expensive stuff.

Edited by ScubaCinci

So Joe, if you want to come down your own way since Danimal made me abandon you and meet us at the Cafe late Saturday afternoon I am sure we can coordinate that. Fastest route is 5 hours, via the Dragon is like 6.5 for you.

But don't get a table until we get there, or you will get thrown right the fuck out.   :lol:

Edited by Tonik

Ha...I think I heard about him being that way and I've seen the Ferrari. That Asian waitress has been there forever too...she's no nonsense as well.

I'm going to sit down and look at routes etc this weekend (if not before) and figure out what I'm going to do. My wife leaves town for 2 weeks tomorrow so I may be busy with the strippers.

I also may have to go to Boston for work at some point the week of Oct 5th so that may throw a wrench into trying to leave Friday after work depending on when I have to go and how much backlog it causes me.

I'm going to sit down and look at routes etc this weekend (if not before) and figure out what I'm going to do.

Joe:  Check out the routes on the LR forum from the last year and this year's Fall trip.  Prolly takes you a bit too far east for Franklin, but easy to modify.  Some good roads in KY and TN, most of 'em kind'a goat pathy....