Hello from Columbus (Near Grandview Heights)

waynesworld

Hi. I live in Columbus, near Grandview Heights and Upper Arlington, to be more descriptive. I used to ride, but haven't since the early 90's. This year I just bought a new 2014 Triumph Bonneville (which I haven't picked up yet) and am taking the MSF class and getting my license (which I never had previously). 

Nice to meet you all. 

(BTW, I clicked on the "Rules" sticky, then clicked on the link within the post, and it said that the link does not exist.) 

On 3/21/2016 at 3:34 PM, 2talltim said:

How-D!!

We were just in your area Saturday for a meet and greet.

Where in the area was the Meet and Greet? Sorry I missed that. 

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I pick up my bike tomorrow :)

23 hours ago, Tonik said:

Congrats man!

Thanks! 

Finished today. I passed, but 4 of 12 failed. I found "The Box" to be difficult, but everything else was pretty simple. If I did nothing but the box for an hour, on that 250, it would probably be much easier. It would take more practice on my Bonne, for sure. 

As a matter of fact, one of our instructors was practicing when I arrived today. It didn't dawn on me until later that he was the one who demonstrated The Box, and that is why he was there early practicing :)  

39 miles so far on the new Bonne, because I'm exhausted. That will increase soon ;)

Glad you had a good time at class today!  I was coaching on the range closer to the bike shed...  After you get some miles on the new bike, you might give the BRC-2 or the ARC a look.  It's fun to do those classes on a new bike and get to know it a little better.  Also, welcome to OR, lot of good people here.

59 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Glad you had a good time at class today!  I was coaching on the range closer to the bike shed...  After you get some miles on the new bike, you might give the BRC-2 or the ARC a look.  It's fun to do those classes on a new bike and get to know it a little better.  Also, welcome to OR, lot of good people here.

HI Jacob! Were you with Jesse? I think we met briefly Saturday morning, when I went to the wrong group. 

I really enjoyed the class. I took my Bonne out for about an hour each day after class, but I was too tired to do more. Exhausted tonight. I hadn't ridden in about 25 years before this weekend, except for one brief test ride of a Versys in the Iron Pony parking lot. The course helped immensely with my confidence. Everything comes back quickly when you grew up riding, I guess. 

I am interested in the other classes, for sure. The website says something about being able to audit the riding portion of the BRC for free also, if someone doesn't show, if I read it correctly. If I don't do any of the other classes, I would be very interested in doing that some weekend each spring. 

BTW - The TU250X's rock. I'm really glad I wasn't on one of the many cruisers. The TU or the dual sport seem like much better bikes for this purpose. 

20 minutes ago, Tonik said:

The Box gets lots of folks. And you are right, practice helps. And the practicing and learning never ends. Its part of the fun for me, getting better.

Agreed. I went to a parking lot at OSU and practiced after class yesterday and today on my Bonne. 

I got dinged for: 

-Going outside the box on the second U-turn (to the right)

-Too long of a stopping distance (I slammed the brakes, but I started a little late because I was paranoid about starting early) 

-Getting off the throttle slightly during the curve drill (Not sure what happened there. Maybe a little nervous.) 

Welcome to the board!  

The key to all those drills is making sure you look through the corners.  On the box, look as far through the u-turn as possible and don't go too slow. Speed gives stability.  If you are looking as far as you can, the bike will follow.

On 3/27/2016 at 7:58 PM, waynesworld said:

HI Jacob! Were you with Jesse? I think we met briefly Saturday morning, when I went to the wrong group. 

I really enjoyed the class. I took my Bonne out for about an hour each day after class, but I was too tired to do more. Exhausted tonight. I hadn't ridden in about 25 years before this weekend, except for one brief test ride of a Versys in the Iron Pony parking lot. The course helped immensely with my confidence. Everything comes back quickly when you grew up riding, I guess. 

I am interested in the other classes, for sure. The website says something about being able to audit the riding portion of the BRC for free also, if someone doesn't show, if I read it correctly. If I don't do any of the other classes, I would be very interested in doing that some weekend each spring. 

BTW - The TU250X's rock. I'm really glad I wasn't on one of the many cruisers. The TU or the dual sport seem like much better bikes for this purpose. 

Yeah, I was with Jesse.  Probably met in the transition in the Saturday morning craziness...  Agreed, I think the TUs and the dual sports are the way to go, the pegs under your body makes for easier (in my opinion) maneuverability, but I've seen guys rail on cruisers so I know it's all possible with proper technique! 

Welcome.  

I took the advanced course several years ago, learned a few more things than what my wife said she was taught in the BRC.  One particular technique they had us do that stands out to me ( since you said you had trouble with the box Uturn )....Just before entering your Uturn, shift your weight to the OUTSIDE of the motorcycles intended direction, butt halfway off the seat, it changes the center of gravity to allow a much tighter turning radius.  I learned this tactic dirtbiking in my teens, but it never occured to me to use at low speeds on a streetbike.  Since owning a supermoto I use this technique a lot again, and it feels very natural once you get the hang of it.  Much like when we used to trail ride bicycles