Trackday Tires

Limitedslip7

Reason I ask is, just seems to me.....I could be wrong but I've seen some fast SV running 1:42's running way faster pace than "I" group riders that are running 1:44-45 on their personal timers....is there one that is more accurate than others??? Don't mean to burst anyone bubble but seems way different.

Edited by Chuck Clay

2 seconds is a lot of time...  I only have experience with  XT timers and GPS beacons.. in my personal and limited experience  they are accurate. when racing motoseries I had my Xt beacon timer on and a transponder   my Best lap in that race according to the transponder was 1:19.1XX on my  XT timer was 1:19.2X..  I could imagine they have a + or - factor to them but I'm unsure what the variance maybe...

For instance last season a few riders were posting 1:44's on their timers when I was riding beside them and passing them in tight sessions and at Mid-Ohio vintage days the best I ran was high 1:45's so something not the same with Mylaps.....just curious if anyone else has seen this, no biggie....

On 4/30/2016 at 3:45 PM, RHill said:

What? Cold tires have less grip???  No way, I bought warmers cause stands and tire socks look so pro in the paddock. 

Mid-O sucks in the cold, wet, and after car events(until the residual rubber is cleared).  Warmers and race compound tires are not going to make it any better.  When the track comes in, it is amazing and you won't be sliding anywhere on any reasonable tire in the 1:40's. 

Your scenario of 40 degrees and sub 40 pace is bullshit....you knew it when you were typing it.  Half the A group doesn't turn a sub 40 pace on a perfect day, let alone a day that is 40 degrees.  At that temp, most sane people are not going to attempt to turn a sub 40 lap for at least the first half of the day, unless they enjoy throwing motorcycles down the track.  

Bottom line, you consider 5 days out of a rear (with a flip) at mid-o running a mid to upper 40's pace to be "forever" and it scares the shit out of you?  

Or are you talking about the 14 day front UK slick that I bought from you?  I agree that was forever and I wouldn't recommend it, but it was far from scary.  The tire was perfect condition and I wanted to feel the front fade.  As I already said, 1:2 ratio front:rear is what I run; as scary/risky as that is.

Or the 3rd option, you just want to type a bunch and start drama.

Agreed; and that is the reason I switched to race compound tires.  Had Q2's unexpectedly let loose on me a couple times.  GPA's (and Pirelli DOT's in my limited experience) fade consistently; the fade is something you can feel and know where the tire is, instead of looking at it and guessing.  Q3's could be different, never been on one.  

If you are measuring tire life in days and you don't have the option to change or have a spare....get a new tire.  If you are questioning the tire....get a new tire.  If you are not smart enough to back down in less than ideal conditions...get a new hobby or good insurance.  If your not skilled enough...get a new tire and get on track more.

Uh, I can prove to you that I can easily run sub 1:40 times in below 40 degrees... You are welcome to challenge that, but I've done it and it happened.  But I apparently am just trying to stir shit.  Not sure what happened where you got a little faster and now are the champion opinion leader.  Rusty is actually dead one and if you are just being sarcastic, cool.  But I can attest that we can survive the deadly surface that everyone has been brainwashed to think is like riding on oil.  Is it optimal?  No.  Didn't say it was.  But what you describe and what others do makes me pissed.  The track is slicker cold than warm.  True.  Is it like ice?  No.  Throttle control and keeping a strong head will net fine results and actually teach you something.

Car events such as Indy and IMSA and NASCAR.  Not all the cars...  The Indy and related weekends lay heavy rubber down.  But again, it is tolerable.  Not optimal, but can be ran on.

But you know it all apparently so, we will listen to what you have to say.

Bottom line, you consider 5 days out of a rear (with a flip) at mid-o running a mid to upper 40's pace to be "forever" and it scares the shit out of you?  

Or are you talking about the 14 day front UK slick that I bought from you?  I agree that was forever and I wouldn't recommend it, but it was far from scary.  The tire was perfect condition and I wanted to feel the front fade.  As I already said, 1:2 ratio front:rear is what I run; as scary/risky as that is.

Agreed; and that is the reason I switched to race compound tires.  Had Q2's unexpectedly let loose on me a couple times.  GPA's (and Pirelli DOT's in my limited experience) fade consistently; the fade is something you can feel and know where the tire is, instead of looking at it and guessing.  Q3's could be different, never been on one.  

If you are measuring tire life in days and you don't have the option to change or have a spare....get a new tire.  If you are questioning the tire....get a new tire.  If you are not smart enough to back down in less than ideal conditions...get a new hobby or good insurance.  If your not skilled enough...get a new tire and get on track more.

Not much scares the shit out of me.  What scares me is that people on here throwing out shit advice.  14 days on a tire wasn't terrible at your pace.  But it could be at a different pace or someone with different ability.  Why say things like that when you know damn well that people that are green to this sport tend to take things literally.  Be cautious like Twisted stated and mention that tires are cheap insurance.  It doesn't support someone running a tire because one guy said he can get so many days out of a set.  Hell, I have ridden in an endurance race to where we had cords showing on the rear tire.  It can be done.  But would I recommend it?  Think...

No drama.  Just facts and reality.  I don't like mixing shit up online anymore.  You can win the e-battle.  I am out.  I am just saying that there are a lot of experienced guys on here and if the guy wants info, see us at the track and ask away.  Don't rely on the internet to give you answers to a hobby where a small mistake can lead to a 6 foot deep dirt nap. 

Street tires will fade.  But again, Q2s we ran on RC8Rs were fine to run 1:37-ish times easily.  Fronts stuck well and that was after three groups running 20 bikes all day in all sessions.  Heat cycled to the max and we would get 1-2 full days on sets.  I rode random bikes that felt the best and even some that didn't.  I never had issues.  Did they get greasy with speed and heat?  Sure.  All street platform tires do.  But they are predictable.  Just have to learn what to feel for. 

Does that mean they feel the same for everyone?  No.  Suspension setup could be jacked, could be off, could be wonderful.  Rider ability comes into play.  But the bottom line is that today's street tire such as from Pirelli, Dunlop and Michelin (I haven't rode a street Michelin for about 6-7 years) are really good.  I rode a stock set of OEM Pirellis on my 675R the first time at the track to get a feel and setup and they were actually really good.  Some may disagree.  I don't care.  I can only tell you from my experience... 

On 5/4/2016 at 9:11 AM, Chuck Clay said:

For instance last season a few riders were posting 1:44's on their timers when I was riding beside them and passing them in tight sessions and at Mid-Ohio vintage days the best I ran was high 1:45's so something not the same with Mylaps.....just curious if anyone else has seen this, no biggie....

The difference in 1+ seconds could easily be the straights in that scenario...  If you ran a 1:45 and passing them in the tight stuff, they could have reeled you back in and got an additional second.

GPS is the best and most accurate.  The Transponders we use are really good also.  I think the majority of what is being said here is correct.  Never a second off in my experience...

On the AFJ forum, when you type "slow" it inserts some kind of silly emoji.   Is there any way the admins can make it so any time Brian quotes a post, no matter what he types, it just displays:  "I DISAGREE WITH WHAT THAT GUY SAID."  :dunno:

On 5/4/2016 at 9:11 AM, Chuck Clay said:

Definitively faster than you Chuck - GPS Cert :D.  4th day on Q3s (9/6, 9/22, 10/06, 10/07)

45 minutes ago, Trackbikez said:

Definitively faster than you Chuck - GPS Cert :D.  4th day on Q3s (9/6, 9/22, 10/06, 10/07)

Lmao we'll see! I didn't say you,but seems like everyone running 1:44s so that means I shouldn't pass anyone!!!! Right? Be careful what you say....I've built a nasty chainsaw motor this year!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, redkow97 said:

On the AFJ forum, when you type "slow" it inserts some kind of silly emoji.   Is there any way the admins can make it so any time Brian quotes a post, no matter what he types, it just displays:  "I DISAGREE WITH WHAT THAT GUY SAID."  :dunno:

I understand you don't like me.  And I personally could care less.  But, do you see anything I said in countering that was wrong?  I'm out.  See you guys at the track.  Another example of why I just stay away anymore...

On 4/25/2016 at 2:36 PM, Limitedslip7 said:

Going to be ordering some new tires for this summer and was looking at the D211GPAs on racetireservice.com, 7455 med front and 8477 med+ rear. Think these will hold up for 5 MidO track days at a medium/slow pace (1:40-1:45ish)? I would be running them with warmers. Is there a better/cheaper option or source? They're going on a 100rwhp R6, so they won't exactly be getting punished... 

I ran the Pirelli Superbike Pro trackday slicks last year and they did okay but tended to slide on a few corner exits. Only wore about halfway through them in five trackdays though...

If you have warmers, a well setup suspension, run proper pressures, and decent track temps, the GPAs will last you at your pace. 

The issue is, if any of the for mentioned are not ideal, they will not last. I coached all year on one set of GPAs but took good care of them.

A good starting point is 32 front and 23 rear hot on the warmers. Adjust depending on temperatures.

If you don't have experience reading your tires and monitoring pressures just before and immediately after leaving the track, go for the Q3s.

With the Q3s, you don't have to mess with warmers and they will easily run your pace. Not sure of a starting pressure though. A few of the coaches run Q3s and will have better experience with them than I. 

Hope to see you at the track!

On 5/7/2016 at 9:18 AM, aforrest4 said:

Q3s, you don't have to mess with warmers and they will easily run your pace. Not sure of a starting pressure though. A few of the coaches run Q3s and will have better experience with them than I.

YMMV, but my experience with Q3s has been -- first session at 30/30 cold, once back in after session 1, set to 31/31 hot.

After session 1, rear may need to drop 3-6 psi and front may need to drop 2-4psi to make the 31/31 warm.  Assuming no suspension issues, continue to check the tires after each session for hot or cold tearing and adjust accordingly.

I ended up going with a set of Supercorsa V2 SCs. SC1 front, SC2 rear. The Perelli redstripe slick I ran last year was only about halfway worn, so I'll just throw it back on if I wear the SC rear out before the end of the season. They wore perfectly and I went with the same size SCs, so I'm hoping I won't have to make any changes.

Although, after seeing the price Ridersdiscount has on the SPs in addition to the $40 rebate, I'm tempted to pick up a set of those too...