Wojo72

Is ABS worth the extra coin on a bike for the average Joe?   I get that if you are a super duper motherfucker like Rossi that you can stop faster without the extra gizmos.  There was quite a bit of spirited debate in my ARC class. Any disadvantages on the street other than a little extra weight?  I had a pucker moment on some gravel that got me thinking about it a little bit.  No, I didn't eat pavement thankfully.

Anyone arguing against ABS on a bike will be using the same arguments people used years ago when they first showed up on cars. Those arguments back then were just as retarded as they are today.

No, you can not stop your bike faster than a computer because you have been riding all your life and you are really good. It won't even be close. You need to stop, you just jam them on and it stops. I can not believe how much faster I can stop the bike...and I have been riding a long time. I was sure I was one of those guys that really knew where the edge was. I wasn't even close to being as good as the brakes.

I almost missed a stop sign last summer, it was half hidden behind a tree and I was half being a dumbass. Or maybe 1/4 hidden 3/4 dumbass.  When I saw it I was doing 40, I swear I wasn't more than 4 or 5 bike lengths from it.  I just grabbed both brakes with all I had, felt the ABS kick in and it just stopped on a dime. I have never gotten a bike to stop like that it was amazing.

There are no disadvantages, the weight is minimal. All of the gear for mine is under the right side panel...the little tiny panel below my seat. Can't be much more than 10 lbs of shit under there. It's just some aluminum manifolds and solenoids controlled by the ECU.

• Upvote 1

My GT is the first bike I've ever owned with ABS, but I'm glad it's there for a time I may need it AND have it.  ABS is sort of like steering dampers in the respect that you dont need it until after you already needed it.

I have found that the best way to flush the abs on my bike is the good old fashioned, pump, hold, bleed way. My vacuum bleeder didn't seem to want to draw it out like you think it should.

3 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I have found that the best way to flush the abs on my bike is the good old fashioned, pump, hold, bleed way. My vacuum bleeder didn't seem to want to draw it out like you think it should.

Interesting. On mine there was no change, never even thought about it until this thread.

Some early ABS systems were absolutely terrible.

I had a 2008 SV650s with ABS.  Those brakes were f-ing terrible, borderline dangerous.  They wouldn't lock up, but took forever to stop.

Honda C-ABS is fantastic though.  I had it on my CBR and VFR.  Very few riders, if any, would be able to out brake that system.

All of the newer ABS systems should be good to go.

Last bike had no ABS.  Washed out the front wheel coming to a stop sign where it hit some oil or something left by a car.  Fortunately, I was only doing walking speed by then and I was able to put my leg down and keep the bike off the floor, just.  Had I been going any faster then I'd have eaten it.

Current bike has ABS.  Love it, would never go back.  Especially on the rear wheel - number of times I've had to slow down rapidly in the wet and had that back tire cycle the ABS a few times... 

If you get the ABS bike then I would definitely advise trying the ABS out for yourself before having to use it fer reelz.  The cycle rate on mine is very low, like 2 cycles per second - not like a car that is more like a buzz, 20-30 cycle a second.  First time you feel the it kick in on the front you are gonna think your brakes failed, but then it will grip again.

Edited by Scruit

12 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Can you disable it by pulling a fuse to try it both ways?

In most cases yes, or there are other ways...usually very easy but how is bike specific.  On mine there is a fuse under the right seat cover but I have never done it.  I am going to assume it is because you want to stunt once in awhile....but other than that I view disabling it as a bad idea.

EDIT: I can see disabling it for the track too, at least in the case where the ABS is also linked as mine is.

Edited by Tonik

Now linked brakes is something I can't stand on a bike. For the tards that's where if you pull in the bar lever OR(not and) push the peddle it activates all brakes. The 08 & 09 C14's are separate but the 10' and up are linked and people bitch around them all the time. Glad mine doesn't have it.

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

What do they bitch about?

No being able to dial them in better or change the % from front to rear. Plus a lot of guys and myself like to trail brake into a corner and if you try that with linked it will make the bike nose dive and upset your line.  

1 minute ago, 2talltim said:

Plus a lot of guys and myself like to trail brake into a corner and if you try that with linked it will make the bike nose dive and upset your line.  

I do that, a lot. You are just dragging the back a bit, which means the front is hardly even on.  I don't see any nose dive worth mentioning.

I do that, a lot. You are just dragging the back a bit, which means the front is hardly even on.  I don't see any nose dive worth mentioning.

Hence the complaints on the C14, some guys say somtimes when you get on the front it will engage the ABS for the rear. They just aren't balanced like the should be, needs to be a way to adjust.

31 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Now linked brakes is something I can't stand on a bike. For the tards that's where if you pull in the bar lever OR(not and) push the peddle it activates all brakes. The 08 & 09 C14's are separate but the 10' and up are linked and people bitch around them all the time. Glad mine doesn't have it.

The VFR has linked brakes. I am also not a fan. It's only on the rear though I think? I will stomp on the rear and the front brakes are applied. The rear does not noticeably brake when getting on the front brake.