Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap 2017

Casper

6 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Parsons Branch will be closed all of 2017. Lots of downed trees, and worst of all, an invasive beetle species that is killing a specific tree type that is all along the road. They are clearing the trees out that are infected.

Oh damn. Didn't know it was that bad. 

The truth is, even if the gap was closed I wouldn't really care. I didn't ride it once last spring. More time to spend on all the other great roads and maybe find some new ones. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, what said:

The truth is, even if the gap was closed I wouldn't really care. I didn't ride it once last spring. More time to spend on all the other great roads and maybe find some new ones. 

The worst part about the Gap being closed would be getting to Fontana Village. You'd have to go around, and that can suck. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Casper said:

The worst part about the Gap being closed would be getting to Fontana Village. You'd have to go around, and that can suck. 

Yeah, but it's fine. I'd be able to see some new roads up north. 

Those that ride the BRP, do you typically run 28/74/19 to Soco Gap and pick it up from there?  

EDIT - Looking at the map again, we may as well take 441 to the start of it since 19 isn't far from

Edited by Hellmutt

On 1/20/2017 at 8:23 AM, 2talltim said:

I'll probably do a BRP day when we are at Fontana. Go from Cherokee to Mt Mitchell or reverse. Most likely be Thursday or Friday to beat the weekend traffic, it would be a long day on the bike but worth every mile.

Think the wife and I will be doing this either Thursday or Friday as well.  The other full day I'm planning on a 4 state run - 28 to Mountain Rest SC, then Chattooga Ridge Rd west to 76, pickup 19S at Blairsville to ride Blood Mtn, then 60/68/Cherohala/129 back

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hellmutt said:

Those that ride the BRP, do you typically run 28/74/19 to Soco Gap and pick it up from there?  

EDIT - Looking at the map again, we may as well take 441 to the start of it since 19 isn't far from

From Fontana, across the dragon. Hang a right on Foothills Pkwy (epic). Take that to 321 in Towsend go right on 321. Then right on Lamar Alexander Parkway which turns into Townsend Entrance Rd. Left on Little River Gorge Rd (epic) to 421. Right over the mountain (epic if no traffic) then left on BRP just before Cherokee.

I call this Tonik Route #2

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Danimal said:

Parsons Branch will be closed all of 2017. Lots of downed trees, and worst of all, an invasive beetle species that is killing a specific tree type that is all along the road. They are clearing the trees out that are infected.

Where is all the trails bubby i'm Trailering  Sport touring banana and mini cruiser for the trails 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Tonik said:

From Fontana, across the dragon. Hang a right on Foothills Pkwy (epic). Take that to 321 in Towsend go right on 321. Then right on Lamar Alexander Parkway which turns into Townsend Entrance Rd. Left on Little River Gorge Rd (epic) to 421. Right over the mountain (epic if no traffic) then left on BRP just before Cherokee.

Not on a weekend, river road and over the park is a parking lot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hellmutt said:

Think the wife and I will be doing this either Thursday or Friday as well.  The other full day I'm planning on a 4 state run - 28 to Mountain Rest SC, then Chattooga Ridge Rd west to 76, pickup 19S at Blairsville to ride Blood Mtn, then 60/68/Cherohala/129 back

What I do at the gap now will depend on how sore I am but still want to hit that loop.

29 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Thanks man, I'll look that over for sure

4 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Not on a weekend, river road and over the park is a parking lot.

This will be either Thursday or Friday morning, so I'm assuming it wont be too bad

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

What I do at the gap now will depend on how sore I am but still want to hit that loop.

If you plan to tame your pace a bit to a sturdy medium, you're always welcome to join us man.  That invite goes for anyone looking to ride a medium pace group on 400-500 mile days down there

12 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Thanks man, I'll look that over for sure

This will be either Thursday or Friday morning, so I'm assuming it wont be too bad

If you do it...go my way in tbe morning and then back the southern way you described. Try and hit Maggie Valley and the Wheels through time museum if you have not been there before.

14 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Actually doctors orders were to do that...lol

Well sir, if you follow us then you'll surely be abiding by those orders...you just need resist the blitz passing me like you pulled last year :D

We usually get off the bikes every hour or 2 for a stretch, snacks/water, and check out some sites too....so it's up to you man

8 minutes ago, Tonik said:

If you do it...go my way in tbe morning and then back the southern way you described. Try and hit Maggie Valley and the Wheels through time museum if you have not been there before.

Went to the museum our first year there, pretty awesome spectacle and a must see for anyone that hasn't been.  And yes, if we take your route it will definitely be when we leave...much rather ride the dragon early to elude the afternoon rompers

Edited by Hellmutt

12 hours ago, Tonik said:

Is it 421 or 441? I was just looking this over as a possibility. I see 441 but not 421.