Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap 2017

Casper

On 28 south of Franklin as you pass over the mountains there are several waterfalls.  One you can't miss and you can park your bike under.  The others are marked with signs.  In Highlands stop and walk around downtown for a few minutes.  Cool resort town with neat shops.  The scenic overlooks are clearly marked the whole time you are down there. If you have time, blast over to Maggie Valley and hit the Wheels through Time motorcycle museum. Awesome museum, he had a show on Discovery or one of those cable channels for awhile. Very cool dude, if he is there ask him to do some burnouts.  He will, right in the museum.

https://wheelsthroughtime.com/

If you go to it you can make it a nice day trip, stop in Pidgeon Forge/Gattlingburg too..hit a bit of the BRP.

https://goo.gl/maps/bMqFagBbBk12

That also gets you on Foothills Pkwy.  One of the best roads down there, especially the way you ride.  Even if you just round trip that road you will love it.  It is just north of the Dragon off 129.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 2

On 6/26/2016 at 10:13 PM, durk said:

So this past Wednesday I left for deals gap and returned on Saturday. I had a buddy with me on an Ultra Classic Harley. We left Wednesday from Jefferson and grabbed 250 in Wheeling, WV ran that to 79 to 19 to 16 south of Beckley based on Tonik's suggestion. 16 was a great call thank you sir. This lead into the Back of Dragon and to our hotel in Marion, VA. Over 500 miles and around 12 hrs. Day 2 was the Snake, BRP, Diamondback, and 4 trips through the tail, back to the hotel in Robbinsville, NC. Around 450 miles and 11hrs. Day 3 I once again took Tonik's Route for highlands, blood Mtn, 68, 60, and Cherohala. We had to run it backwards to avoid rain. The hateful one @Tonik again did not disappoint. Thanks for the awesome route. We also ran the tail twice because my buddy wanted me to video him so he could show his grandkids. Saturday morning we left at 7 am and headed for home. We ran the Tail one more time and ran into no issues with traffic not sure what you guys are saying about all these problems with Saturdays on the Dragon. We then just slabbed it home. 626 miles in just over 9.5 hrs. Got sprinkled on just once with some damp roads on the whole trip. Awesome trip overall. 

8 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

If you have time, there's a little scenic spot in Tellico that's actually a memorial to @Tonik and his legacy for the founding of the Smokey Mountains. It is a little known fact that he was the only surviving Native American to remain settled in those parts after whitey came to town. All of the restaurants are named after him, too. I especially like the bullshit sandwich at the "Can't Fucking Wheelie For Shit Diner". 

Look, it is even called "Tonik's Route".  Your lack of appreciation and awe at my existence is duly noted.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Look, it is even called "Tonik's Route".  Your lack of appreciation and awe at my existence is duly noted.

I call it Pauly's route because I tried to keep within 1/2 mile of him that way years before  you existed on OR as a post whore

6 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

I'm assuming Bridal Veil Falls is the place we can park our bikes under?

correct!

Edited by Bad324

8 minutes ago, Tonik said:

On 28 south of Franklin as you pass over the mountains there are several waterfalls.  One you can't miss and you can park your bike under.  The others are marked with signs.  In Highlands stop and walk around downtown for a few minutes.  Cool resort town with neat shops.  The scenic overlooks are clearly marked the whole time you are down there. If you have time, blast over to Maggie Valley and hit the Wheels through Time motorcycle museum. Awesome museum, he had a show on Discovery or one of those cable channels for awhile. Very cool dude, if he is there ask him to do some burnouts.  He will, right in the museum.

https://wheelsthroughtime.com/

If you go to it you can make it a nice day trip, stop in Pidgeon Forge/Gattlingburg too..hit a bit of the BRP.

https://goo.gl/maps/bMqFagBbBk12

That also gets you on Foothills Pkwy.  One of the best roads down there, especially the way you ride.  Even if you just round trip that road you will love it.  It is just north of the Dragon off 129.

I have to jump in and warn anyone of the gawdawful traffic in/around Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.  I would not recommend this area unless you like traffic jams, tourists, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Qman said:

I have to jump in and warn anyone of the gawdawful traffic in/around Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.  I would not recommend this area unless you like traffic jams, tourists, etc.

Agreed. Weekdays are better than weekends. Think the day we rode up the one time was early Thursday morning and it wasn't too bad

11 minutes ago, Qman said:

+1 I avoid Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg at all costs. 441 looked like a fun road, then I got on it and realized it had been ruined by traffic.

I'm not going to sit here and type out the dozens of routes I have in my head that I've taken down there.  I'll just share this link and say you can't go wrong with any if them. Except avoid SMNP on weekends and mid summer.

http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/

But also add Six Gap is my favorite and NOC Rivers End for breakfast, Krambonz(telico)for lunch and Cafe Rel (franklin)for dinner or lunch.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

My main thing is I'm taking 5 guys who have never been to Deal's Gap and want to show them the great roads and great scenic views that are available for the area.  

No need to explore random roads yet.  We haven't even experienced most of the more common roads for the area. 

1 minute ago, 2talltim said:

NOC Rivers End for breakfast, Krambonz(telico)for lunch and Cafe Rel (franklin)for dinner or lunch.

all 3 of these are musts. Particularly the breakfast spot. Get a chicken biscuit with egg and cheese on it and at least 1 side of bacon. You'll never have a better breakfast sandwich in your life or bacon

29 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

I call it Pauly's route because I tried to keep within 1/2 mile of him that way years before  you existed on OR as a post whore

Not surprised there, you ex bikers tend to stick together.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

My main thing is I'm taking 5 guys who have never been to Deal's Gap and want to show them the great roads and great scenic views that are available for the area.  

No need to explore random roads yet.  We haven't even experienced most of the more common roads for the area. 

Ok, if its a guy trip skip Gattlingburg.

One of the best things about going to the Smokies is taking 16 thru W VA. Especially below Beckley. Done it a couple of times and hope to do it again. Of course it would suck pulling a trailer. You get to do a lot of leaning. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

One of the best things about going to the Smokies is taking 16 thru W VA. Especially below Beckley. Done it a couple of times and hope to do it again. Of course it would suck pulling a trailer. You get to do a lot of leaning. 

image.jpeg

about the only way to get a knee down on a VFR, with out scraping lotsa hard bits! :p

20 minutes ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

image.jpeg

Also don't forget about the rattler and all the road corresponding to it.

• Upvote 1

+1 for Fontana dam

tuckaleechee caverns a ways north of deals gap is one of the coolest things I've ever seen  

gatlinburg/ pigeon forge traffic is absolutely horrible

Ditch that trailer. Hammering down 119/23 was one of the best parts of my trip last year 

Just now, Killer_kaw said:

+1 for Fontana dam

tuckaleechee caverns a ways north of deals gap is one of the coolest things I've ever seen  

gatlinburg/ pigeon forge traffic is absolutely horrible

Ditch that trailer. Hammering down 119/23 was one of the best parts of my trip last year 

Our main concern is some of the guys didn't have a ton of vacation time so we are leaving Thursday after work.  Which means leaving around 6pm.  Don't really wanna be riding into Deals Gap at 2AM.  I've done it before and it was sketchy.  Plus we are leaving Sunday afternoon and people are going to want to decompress before having to go to work Monday morning. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

+1 for WV16 and +1 for NOC's breakfast. Picture is from last year's GAP trip. 2Tall, Paul, Danny, and myself went.

image.jpeg

I've been to the Gap 4 times and I never knew about this place.

23 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I've been to the Gap 4 times and I never knew about this place.

Should have made that work call off day count a few weeks ago and you would have known...lol

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

On 5/1/2017 at 9:43 PM, rawlins87 said:

Does anyone know the discount on the lodge room? They want to charge me 153/night.

Is it too late to get the OR price? 

Lodge room:
2 queen beds
2 reserved
$95/night

5 hours ago, Qman said:

I have learned to use waze in that area, it will get you around the traffic in gatlinburg at least. pigeon forge is un-navigable.

2 hours ago, nebbish said:

pigeon forge is un-navigable.

Negative, there is a back way around town. Two of them actually. But I still avoid it like the plague. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Danimal said:

You spend all that time bitching and moaning about a route that I had that took us through some traffic....and then you tell someone you actually LIKE to visit Pidgeon Forge???...on a fucking Motorcycle????

Oh...that;s right...you don't like anyone. And you're TRYING to screw him up.

There are some differences between Harrisburg PA and Gattlingburg TN.

Gattlingburg has stuff to see and do. Lots of food, and hilarious tourist trap crap. And Pidgeon Forge has epic go cart tracks. Damn things are three and four stories. Everyone should se it once.

Harrisburg has nothing. It is a worn out shit hole that started out as a shit hole. But it does one thing Gattlingburg doesnt have, it has a freeway that gets you through town in like 10 minutes. I know this because I spent an hour riding right next to it.

• Upvote 1