Harbor Freight trailer assembly question

2talltim

Okay so I picked up this Harbor Freight trailer. It was actually second hand and got it for half price but it was never assembled so I'm in the process of assembling it. And before anyone starts heckeling me, my bike is not going on this trailer unless it is broken or crashed. It is for the 4 wheeler or mower or just trips to the lumber yard.

My question is. I am getting down to where I need to fix the plywood top to the frame. This is one of those folding trailers where you have to cut the plywood in half and put it on into sections. But you can also affix permanent bolts in the hinge part of the frame and not cut the plywood in half but then it will not be foldable. This obviously would make the trailer more rigid and sturdier. I will be storing the trailer inside because these cheap trailers if left outside we'll just rust away. But I do have 10 foot ceilings in my garage and could still lean it up against the wall without folding it. Would just be more difficult to do.

What would you do? Make it foldable and more easily stowable? Or make it more rigid and stronger but harder to store away?

20161027_171954.jpg

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

Foldable. I have one.

I used 3/8" plywood as recommended. It won't close quite flat but it's close enough that it stacks up nicely and takes very little space in the garage.

Think I have decided to go with non foldable for now for a few reasons. First off I still like the idea of it being more rigid. Second I bought 3/4 in treated plywood for the top and I know it would not fold as flat as it should and it might stow MORE out of he way (or flater against the wall)if not folded. And the final reason is if I don't like it not foldable I can always cut the plywood later. But if I don't like it the other way I'm SOL and would have to buy another sheet of ply. So I give that a try for now and see how I like it.

• Upvote 3

How much did you pay for the 3/4" plywood? Lowes has Advantech for $28 and that stuff will pretty much never warp! Seen it laid for floor decking on news homes, that sit all winter before the walls and trusses are set in the spring and it still looks new.

I used 3/4" treated for my deck and still fold it up. It doesn't go exactly together but i have eye bolts going through it anyways that would prevent a complete fold. 

But every time i use the trailer, i put the bolts through the frame to connect the folding part to the main frame. Takes an extra 5 minutes but you can't tell that it's a folding trailer. I also put sides on it too that probably help too. 

8 hours ago, M_Quick said:

How much did you pay for the 3/4" plywood? Lowes has Advantech for $28 and that stuff will pretty much never warp! Seen it laid for floor decking on news homes, that sit all winter before the walls and trusses are set in the spring and it still looks new.

It was $30 too

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a long week at work so didn't  get much done till today. Like I said I went with a non folding bed it fits perfect where I wanted it to. Myself being a big boy can get it up by myself but it's a strain. But me and the mrs. had no problems doing it and it out of the way and secure. And still plenty of room to get the truck in and out.

20161106_174256.jpg20161106_174506.jpg

2 hours ago, Bad324 said:

That's the way to do it. One well placed pulley and it'd be cake by yourself

I was actually thinking a couple pulleys and one of these on the post next to it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-hand-winch-65688.html

• Upvote 1