How far would you commute?

Tpoppa

How far do you commute or would you be willing to commute for the right job?

I've worked from home for the past 12+ years.  I am considering taking a job that would have me in an office at least 50% of the time.  The drive is further than I'd prefer.

I'd move before I'd drive over 30 minutes 5 days a week. 2.5 days a week would depend, can you arrange your schedule so you aren't required to drive during rush hour? That feeling of control and not being thrown in with the rats is worth something. I join clubs/ teams near work to skip the evening jams. Then there's the feeling of waste comparing short distances that take a long time to long distances that take the same time.

12 years is a lot of banked non-commute wake time though.

The commute is exactly 30 miles each way, which is exactly 30 miles further than I commute now.  Moving is not an easy option due to kids and custody agreement.

The position and $$ are attractive.  I'm leaning toward taking it.  I have been disgusted with my current employer for awhile now :(

I live south of Youngstown and work in Pittsburgh. 

Considering I do IT work I cant make near the amount of $ I do around home than I can in a big city like Pittsburgh. I used to commute on my motorcycle but I have been commuting via regional bus lately. I have about a 25 minute drive to the bus, then an hour or so bus ride but I can sleep on the bus on my way to and from the stop so its not so bad. I also work from home twice a week so that helps. 

I would move closer to work but I like living out in the country, plus my wife makes more $ than I do and she has to live within her sales territory so theres that as well. 

It's anywhere between 7 and 20 minute commute for me depending on how the traffic light roulette goes. I'd be willing to commute up to 30 minutes each way if I could find a decent property with a garage. For big bucks, I'd just move to be within 30 minutes. The benefit of not having kids, a spouse, or owning property I suppose. 

• Upvote 1

I think there are several factors that could go in to this decision in my opinion. I used to commute 45 miles one way for the best job ever and there was 0 traffic. Comparing to a 12 mile commute downtown, I'm taking the mileage all the way since although more costly $ wise, is way easier on stress levels after a long day of work.

But this is also coming from someone who in 8 years of having post college jobs, shortest commute has been 11 miles.

3 hours ago, motocat12 said:

can you arrange your schedule so you aren't required to drive during rush hour?

I go in to the office around Noon 2 days a week. Almost every single time it takes me 3-5 minutes longer because it seems all the can't drive for shit stay at home moms and people too old to be on the freeway jam that shit up and make it impossible to pass them until it gets to 3 lanes

6 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

The commute is exactly 30 miles each way, which is exactly 30 miles further than I commute now.  Moving is not an easy option due to kids and custody agreement.

The position and $$ are attractive.  I'm leaning toward taking it.  I have been disgusted with my current employer for awhile now :(

30 miles? That's a no brainer. (All highway?) -- Consider now - you have to add car costs to break even though....... 

I'm at a 12 mile commute now. At my current pay and title I'd do the same job with a 20 mile commute. With a raise in pay I'd easily do 30 miles if I had to.

Years ago I was doing 70+ each way and I won't do that again. It was all interstate, but really didn't matter.

It's got to work for YOU.  If you dont mind giving up 5-6 hours of your life commuting every week, and the added expense on the vehicle(s) isn't of any concern....I'd say go for it.  To me, it's worth the shot if you're that unhappy with your current employer AND it's worth your while to pursue it.  I commute about 75 miles round trip daily, which is twice as far as it used to be when I rented.  But, housing where I own is easily 20-25% cheaper compared to where I rented.  Not to mention I enjoy the people I work with, the 5wks of vacation every year, and the pay is good for this demographic.....so, for the last 15 years it's been worth the drive for me.  Good luck man

Maybe because I grew up in a different era, but I don't quite get it.  I love driving almost as much as riding.  Time behind the wheel of my truck is good.   Commute time isn't as good as sex; true.  But not near as mind-numbing as meetings and other parts of the work day.

• Upvote 1

Roughly 15 years ago I had a 65 mile each way commute, would carpool with another guy to make things easier.  It sucked.  These days I have that down to an 8 mile each way drive, so much better. 

Would I ever go back to that long commute, probably not. You would need to add a very large correction to my paycheck for that kind of drive.

1 hour ago, Wandering Soul said:

Maybe because I grew up in a different era, but I don't quite get it.  I love driving almost as much as riding.  Time behind the wheel of my truck is good.   Commute time isn't as good as sex; true.  But not near as mind-numbing as meetings and other parts of the work day.

Nothing mind numbing about what I do. 47 different sets of rules. I get to go through almost all 47 every single day. 

26 miles each way, but it's all highway and light traffic.  It takes me exactly 30 minutes, unless the snow is really falling.  The relative safety of the turnpike allows me to ride all year, even the day after a decent snowfall like we just had.  I would commute up to an hour, as long as it doesn't include battling traffic.  Then again, the nature of my job doesn't require me to go in every day, so there's that. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2016 at 3:09 PM, Isaac's Papa said:

The trifecta. A move up in position and salary, with a bonus of not working for your current employer. I see the commute as irrelevant in your case, Tony. 

Exactly what I just did.  I also bought a new bike for the commute.  28 miles one way...37mins.  will be moving in a year or two so will try to move closer.