Best fuel to use? - a list

ReconRat

1 minute ago, Hellmutt said:

Most modern day japanese streetbikes ( even with an upfitted aftermarket exhaust on a street tune ) should be fine running 89 mid grade.  Unless it's euro ( like both mine ), then the factory tune likely demands 91+ octane.  I recall a conversation I had with Brock Davidson ( Brocks Performance ) years ago...and if memory serves, he said he tunes all streetbikes he works on to run mid grade 89 octane.  After a lot of dyno/fuel testing, he said they've found that 89 octane has the best atomization rates in injected systems, so for street use that's their go to.

My 08 zx6r that I run on the track is tuned for 89.

5 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Two tenths? Seriously? 

Two tenths? You work at a damn school. 

That's right, I am involved in your kids education.  And you are paying me well with great benefits and lots of vacation.  Thanks pal.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Anytime, but don't cal me "pal", buddy. 

BTW, it's only .132 gallons.  I rounded way up hoping peeps would believe that number. If were were getting ripped off big time, some lawyer would have sued them long ago.

My Honda calls for 91 minimum octane.  My Kaw calls for 90 minimum octane.  My VW was just tuned for 93 octane (& has more HP per liter displacement than my CBR1000RR had from the factory.)   I think the whole point of the OP was that higher levels of detergent additives are beneficial and the "top tier" website lists the brands that have higher levels of detergent additives.

In case anyone cares... combustion heat goes down, when the octane rating is higher than needed (suppressed burn). Might notice that on a cold day with an air-cooled engine, but otherwise, it burns it anyway, just not quite as efficiently.

On 3/9/2017 at 2:52 PM, ReconRat said:

In case anyone cares... combustion heat goes down, when the octane rating is higher than needed (suppressed burn). Might notice that on a cold day with an air-cooled engine, but otherwise, it burns it anyway, just not quite as efficiently.

You can also achieve the same effect dropping a 1 step colder spark plug. Don't ask me how or why. But I like running my shit one step colder. 

But it wait I hear it now. The spark plug may not get hot enough for fuel to completely burn and you'll end up fowling the plugs. 

Yeah sure. If I live Siberia.