check this out

znperformance

So what do you bring to the table desperado? You seem to have a lot to say about the subject but what 8 cylinder monster have you to back it up.

I think we all know that our performance at the track is dependant on how deep our pockets are.

Your arguement was sound an logical until you pointed at turbos and technology as cheating. What is the limiting agent again? If its not money, than why doesnt your 8cyl have a turbo.

Bottom line is, this shit is expenisve and I will give respect to anyone regardless of the amount of cylinders they have if they are going beyond the normal expectations of their car.

Especially if one lil 4 cyl with full interior on the verge of 11s takes my girlfriend and I home from the track after running. Sitting in a car on the back of a trailer wouldnt be very fun. ;)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if we want to build something for competition.

what if i build a go kart with a non turbo rotary with under 5k.

it will fucking own around(some people forget there are tracks other than straight lines) the track. its the same as building a tube chasis car with BIG fucking tires and motor.

I tell you what if you find a 540 that makes 1300 hp then I would like to see it. Our motor is a 50,000.00 dollar 632 that we got some deals on and it makes 1300 hp on the motor. I am not sure if you fully understand what is involved in makeing that kind of power. I have been doing this for a while and the ads you see in the paper are bullshit. I have never seen a 540 make that kind of HP on motor. Also the cars that run in our class are all 6 and 7 sec cars and I dont know anyone that has a motor smaller than 572 with spray dripping off of it. Now I did see a 1900 lb car with a small block and 800 hp of spray on it run 7.70 but I doubt it made that much hp. Anyway as far as classes go they will never allow them in to Pro Stock. That is why thaey have their own classes. The cars in Pro Stock have so many rules to follow and are under so many constraints that they will never change it for imports. That is why Pro Stock racing is so close because the cars are almost identical and they have very strick rules to follow. Who cares who says what. This is racing. That is like the NASCAR/DRAG Racing arguments. Also Pro Stock cars are limited to 500 cubic inches not 600. Again this is not ment to put anyones opinions down or anything. Just to represent some facts and some of my opinions.

Originally posted by RX7dood:

if we want to build something for competition.

what if i build a go kart with a non turbo rotary with under 5k.

it will fucking own around(some people forget there are tracks other than straight lines) the track. its the same as building a tube chasis car with BIG fucking tires and motor.

graemlins/thumb.gif More too life than going straight.

Originally posted by luong88888:

Devil's advocate: Has IPS taken any of their marquee shop cars to the track this year and put up empirical numbers??

If you are referring to my 3000 then i assume you know what the answer is. Howard having to go and get married ( tongue.gif ) is throwing a kink in the plans but we still hope to have her at trails on sunday. The new set-up is close to being broken in (clutch might have 300ish miles on it now) and were gonna turn the boost a hair and see how she does on pump gas mode. Not shooting for any record-breaking times (yet ;) ) but just want to make a few passes and get some tuning done. Since its current best is a 17-sec pass (hopefully zavier will show up so we can race :D ) anything in the 13s will be a dramatic improvement.

The bigger point isnt what times were gonna run--but that WE ARE GOING TO RUN smile.gif Somehow with everyone drinking all day saturday 2 1/2 hrs away in WV and what im sure will be a sleepless night we'll make it back to do what "performance" cars are built to do :cool:

Or since i just talked to andrew yesterday and know hes planning on going we'll slap some stickers on his car and watch one of "our" cars actually race instead graemlins/gay.gif And if that isnt bad enough then we'll post about it all day monday as if we had something to do with it graemlins/jerkit.gif

This is all just a little too fast and furious for me...

My motto is put up or shut up. So when do we get to run the INTENSE turbo car against some of these fast imports? :D

Just kidding, that's not what we're about. smile.gif

Originally posted by ComaPee:

My motto is put up or shut up. So when do we get to run the INTENSE turbo car against some of these fast imports? :D

Is the intense turbo car the one in the video. 10.30

Originally posted by Hwilli:

Sunday the 25th is the Import day at trails. To my knowledge 3 of the 4 running shop cars will be attending.

Originally posted by turbotrio:

The bigger point isnt what times were gonna run--but that WE ARE GOING TO RUN smile.gif

If this indeed true, Mike's Talon will not be taking this 3rd weekend of racing off and will see you at the track. Who the fuck needs brakes, Mike says he does not.

(i can speak in the third person perspective also)

Originally posted by ComaPee:

So true.

Talk is cheap, don't TELL people what you can do, go to the track and PROVE it.

quote)Oh and someone correct me if I am wrong..but 11.966 is the quickest Columbus based import at the moment (street driven not a race car), and 121 is the MPH to beat as well .(end quote

well, i believe there may have been my buddy cort out at trails last wed. nite in his DAILY DRIVEN, FULL INTERIOR. civic hatch. i think i heard he ran 11.5 and atleast over 121, more like 130. this guy ran 12.6 last year on street tires spinning through 3rd and still trapped at 120.

Originally posted by PEEDJOO:

well, i believe there may have been my buddy cort out at trails last wed. nite in his DAILY DRIVEN, FULL INTERIOR. civic hatch. i think i heard he ran 11.5 and atleast over 121, more like 130. this guy ran 12.6 last year on street tires spinning through 3rd and still trapped at 120.

who is that?!?

Desparado, like i said before. your only as fast as your pockets are deep. im not saying that a large displacment domestic can't beat an import, hell no. im saying there's no way you could do it on 25grand.

even if you did find a pile of "rolling pipes" as you say, the money it would take you to find the right tranny/rearend/tires would take you well over 25grand.

oh and the "chicks" comment, was a joke shouldn't take it so seriously. i don't roll around in my car "trying to jock the girlies". although, i would kill to have a '69 chevelle SS with a 454, but would it be a very good daily driver? nah, would i even make it into a 9 sec. car? nah.

so where's quantum racing?

I remember that car from last year. If he truly put that down then congratz to him :wtg

"Wasn't Pavo's car daily driven? 11.65 @ 117 1g Talon Automatic."

Correct. Scott Smith's car also went 11.0 @1x (MPG ommitted on purpose). However that was on his old setup, like 2 years ago. And poor Pavo's car R.I.P. :(:(

If you read what I said, I specifically said "at the moment". I honeslty WANT to be wrong. My car has no business being the fastest/quickest. There are WAY higher HP cars with WAY more $ into them than mine. We just need to get them to the track, and give some of them some driving lessons ;) .

[b}"I am saying my shit is faster than either side of the table has put out of their shops, so shut the fuck up"[/b]

Desperado, I think you may be missing the point slightly. All of the cars we have built thus far can EASILY be used for someones daily driver. My car has A/C, Leather, Full weight. CD blah blah blah.

If I want to drive it to get milk I can. If I want to go 1/4 mile, I drop on a different set of tires, DRIVE TO THE TRACK ON THEM, and race. If I want to go AutoX, I can. If I want to Go to a road course... I can. It's not purpose built. and this may be stretching it a bit far, but I can take the car to a car show, enter it, and get looks. (I say this is stretching it because I KNOW what goes inot making a show car, and at any REAL car show my car would be laughed out of the building. To many little imperfections).

The car you are talking about building is a purpose built drag car. Hey if that's your gig, cool. However all of the cars doing this dick measuring most likely fall into the criteria I posted in the previous paragraph.

One last thing (and this is a freindly jab) don't talk abouut what you CAN build. Get your car done and come talk to me ;)

Now contining on with the original theme of this thread. All this BS going on lately. I normally walk softly, but it may soon be time to get out the big stick.

Hoop-D, I pulled this off the SRD site.

For those who do not know me, my name is Jason Niemiller, and I am the Sales and Marketing Manager for Quantum. I was brought on by Mark...a friend and fellow car nut. I was customer of Quantum's and was offered this position. I drive a WRX (no, it did not beat Ricky and no, I don't give a hoot what it cannot do) that I am very happy with!!!

For those who may question my abilities...I have an MBA and have served as a corporate auditor in senior management for a Fortune 500 company. I am fortunate that Quantum offered me the chance to do something I love.

Corporate Auditor for a Fortune 500 company huh? Worldcom? Enron? I ask because your numbers don't seem to be adding up.

"Sales and Marketing" I would say more like PR, and from what I know of PR all they spin is bullshit. Doing a great job!

and Mark. Let me just say I don't have ANY issue with you, I never had. I think you are a great guy. I even consider you a friend, even though we haven't hung out in quite sometime. Everytime your name comes up I say that on the cars I have seen you work on, you always did quality work. So I have tried to stay out of this shop versus shop bullshit. but this isn't even shop versus shop. This is me as an outsider calling what I see, and i don't care for what your "associates" are saying or doing.

I could write another 20 pages on what I have let pass, but I am going to stop.

See you all in about 2 weeks.

Howard

Last year, I ran 12.25@117 and still got over 28MPG if I kept my foot out of the car. I still hope to get similar gas mileage this year with a little more power and still driving the car to the track. It can be done without sacrifice if tuned right.

Your arguement was sound an logical until you pointed at turbos and technology as cheating. What is the limiting agent again? If its not money, than why doesnt your 8cyl have a turbo.

NoIa m not saying that it's cheating to run whatever technology that your bank account will allow, what I am saying is that it is cheating to bring a car dripping with technology that is purpose build and say I will run your old school V-8 but you can't run any of the technology I can. That is bullshit. ANd that's what the imports want to do in ProStock. The V-8 remain N/A and carbed, and the fourbangers get turbos and computers and spray. How is that fair.

Originally posted by iwishiwascool:

"I am building a 9 second car"

"My shit is faster"

Displacement, technology, etc... whatever youve got on it, I'm pretty sure that bench is going to sit pretty still.

Well Only as fast as mine then. And when we are both done we'll hit the track then break out the calculators and see who spent what.

As far as rolling pipes, I said erector set damn it, get it right! smile.gif And yes, I have a SFI inspected and stamped chassis as of 2000 that is legal to 9.0 and I have $3500 in it and they are everywhere. I didn't say build it I said buy a $5000 roller. Hell you can buy a used 225 Spitzer dragster chassis for that money if you look hard, and I am talking complete to the tires minus an engine and tranny.

And yes, there are guys that pimp their shit around and it get them girls. The only problem with that is a girl that will screw me cuz of the car I got I don't want.

Originally posted by Car Enthusiast:

sounds like the 2nd gen, or the truck is almost done :cool:

This is a man that knows all my secrets. The second gen is done short of the rear firewall because I pulled the rear seats, and its good for 12's not blazing fast but it will due. Once the spray is on it (thats sitting in the garage) it will be good for high 11's. Fast enough for a daily driven car.

The truck, I have about $500 more to spend on lower end (crank and rods) deside what cam I am going to run and build the motor, I ain't gonna be specific, but I will be starting out with a 350 shot of spray, till I know what the car is going to do. And it too will be street legal. So keep guessing, and I will keep building.

Ok. How in the world can you say it's not fair that the imports want to run turbos but the V8's have to run NA, and then go on to say that it's no fair that the imports are (supposedly) spending more money? Is it run what you brung or isn't it? Can't have it both ways!

Also, how do you figure you're going to run 6's for $25,000? You better run over to Lee Howie's shop, shoot you should write a book because I'm sure there are a LOT of shops and race teams that have been running 6's for years that would LOVE to do it for $25,000! Give me a freaking break! I stop reading when I read that BS!

Who is showing up to NTR on Sunday?? NO ifs, ands, or buts. I'm not wasting gas money if everyone is going to keep talking about how they plan on running and they don't show up.

I've been at the track the last two weeekends and my car deserves a break and brakes, but I'll definitely bring the pile of rust out knowing that there will be someone besides my roomate out.

Guest BLACKBIRD99
Originally posted by Ricochet:

What turns more heads, a Civic running 11's or just another big v8 running that? QB]

An 11 sec Civic will just make someone cover their ears, not turn their head.

;)tongue.gif