Bike Going... what's coming?

Well kids I often thought whenever I did buy the "new job car" I posted about a year ago before I left for the blazing Austin TX, I'd post pics.

A guy is supposedly bringing me a check tomorrow for the bike, one half day after I posted it (even more amazingly, this took longer than selling my RX7 did). So I'm in a little bit of shock, was going to simply test the waters on the bike sale.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/84927519.html

SO... all I can do to make myself feel better is decide what's coming to replace it. It will have four wheels because its so damn hot down here riding isn't even much fun. It's also going to do double duty as my business car, and therefore must have a trunk. This means the car has to be able to take some miles, but the good news is that when I take a sales territory (hopefully back in CBUS next year) the car will be paid for by the company. Pretty sweet setup overall I think.

So just for fun, let me know what ya think... I'm thinking..

http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/2/1747cnv0001.jpg

;)

Originally posted by The Truth:

He raced it occasionally, but didn't floor it all the time and take speed bumps at sixty five. Douchebag.

That's why Adam was confused. He does that all the time, and he can't imagine why anyone wouldn't do that. smile.gif

ny neighbor has a 2005 m3, with the smg trans, STAY AWAY form the smg trans, it's a piece of shit, other than that the car has been great, she's had zero probs, except the smg trans, and the engine rebuild recall. still nice cars, and pretty damn quick.

I say go for it...I'm more in love with my E46 M3 every time I drive it. Skip on the SMG and you'll be good.

As for reliability???...my car is an '02 with 34K miles on it and besides little stuff that's all been covered under warranty I've got no major issues with the car.

What to look for???...well almost all of the cars through the build year of '03 required the rod bearing recall to be done. This was to combat oil starvation to one of the rod bearings in high G situations like track days. Once the recall is done you recieve a 6yr 100K mile engine warranty. Only catch is you are required to run Castrol 10W 60 motorsport oil to stay within the warranty which is $17 per quart at the dealer...you can find it online for like $9 per quart. For me buying my car used this was a huge plus. I've got 6 mor months of factory warranty on the rest of the car but peace of mind knowing I've got 2 years more on the engine if anything ever is to happen to it. Some ownerse see this as a negative...I saw it as a positive as I'm not exactly easy on mine and an extra 2 years worth of warranty on a car that turns 8000 rpm on a regular bases just made sense to me

My car does a few track days per year...some autocross here and there and is drivn Moderately hard on the road...I don't abuse it...but I don't drive it easy either.

The one weakness of the car and something you should check out if your buying one used is the rear sub frame and rear shock mounts. If abused (donuts, excessive burnouts with wheel hop, ect) the rear sub frame assembly has been know to crack. Driving the car hard will not cause this...abusing it will. So have the rear sub frame carefully checked befor purchasing if you buy one used.

The only real updates to the car were in 03.5 when BMW changed to the LED tail lamps and made a couple other option changes...on the outside you cannot visually tell a late car from an early car other than the tails. I did a retrofit on the factory LED tails on my car because I liked the updated look.

If you'd like to pick my braing more about the car shoot me an e-mail @ kutscha@nationwide.com

Andy

http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/522/33049done1.jpg

http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/522/33049done4.jpg

http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/522/33049done7.jpg

My .02 and this doesn't really have to do with the car itself, but you mentioned it'll be your work car, so: when I see a sales rep or salesman or sales exec drive up in a BMW, my first thought is "great, here's an asshole". Sorry but thats the stereotype, and as rational as I am I have to (or rather they have to) work to get over that first impression obstacle.

If its your work car I'd do anything but a beemer. Unless stereotypes are different in Texas.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

My .02 and this doesn't really have to do with the car itself, but you mentioned it'll be your work car, so: when I see a sales rep or salesman or sales exec drive up in a BMW, my first thought is "great, here's an asshole". Sorry but thats the stereotype, and as rational as I am I have to (or rather they have to) work to get over that first impression obstacle.

If its your work car I'd do anything but a beemer. Unless stereotypes are different in Texas.

Well said.

-Marc

graemlins/nod.gif

Thanks for the input boys... don't worry, there will be no SMG. So many shitty excuses to not have a stick and clutch these days, and I won't have any of them either.

And as for the stereotypes, I'll set those straight. Not drive an M3 because of what others might think? Ahh, even for business F it. Daddy drives an bimmer and does just fine in sales. You can dispell a stereotype with one coversation, and NI's customers are 80% repeat business anyways. Instead they'll be like "Hey can we go to lunch in your car? I drove the minivan today and it sucks..." Heh. :D

I'm not even gonna try to dispell the stereotype...because unfortunatly I've found it to be true...BUT I actually find that it's more true in people driving regular 5 and 7 series cars than the true enthusiests driving M series cars....but there still are some Jems in the bunch of M drivers as well. I tried soo hard to imagine that it wasn't the case...but just last week I pulled up to a guy in a dead stock M3 at a stop light...didn't rev...didn't do anything...just looked over and said "Nice Car Man" to which I got a stare then he pulled off??? WTF dude???

100 RWHP....if you've got any specific M3 questions feel free to e-mail me: kutscha@nationwide.com or for info you may be looking for start looking at the forums over at m3forum.net

Thanks Andy, I've been on the forums a while and am pretty well researched. Glad you like yours though, and if the SMG is the only complaint that's perfect.

I've had two 5 series and drive one now, guess I'm a BMW prick through and through ahahah... couldn't bother me less. I guess Andy and I will have to be the only two nice guys with M3's you'll ever know.

Now just to find an '02 or '03 with black interior, 6spd, 19s, in red, black, or even maybe dark gray... I missed a KICK ASS '03 down here (amazing price and immaculate) by one day, they sold it the day before I called to make an offer... there will be more, and prices will only come down!

Get a supra or a 7 again. cant get away. or hell go out and spend a little more and become a z06 crew member. hell there is a lot of cars out there that can be done with that money.

whatever you get make sure you put some Black wheels with a polised lip...no one has done that yet. ;)

Those are nice looking cars, for sure.

S4 and you wouldn't have to deal with that stigma at all. ;)

NI as in National Instruments?

If so, I'd love to get a card that has some analog and digital inputs and outputs for data acquisition on my car, and maybe some simple controls. graemlins/thumb.gif

Yeah guys, I'd think about another RX7 or a Supra or Z06 but that won't work for a business car...

I've thought and thought but I'm going to do the one car thing for a while.

But otherwise yeah, I hope to make it back to Columbus... I miss the racin' :D

[ 22. July 2005, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: 100 RWHP ]

Yep, I do that too.