Bikes you have owned.

nurkvinny

There are quite a few people that ask, "so, what kind of bike should I get?"

I thought it may be good to have a topic where people can list the bikes they have owned and/or ridden a lot, and give a quick review of them comfort-wise / performace / other goods/bads etc.

2002 Honda 919.

More comfortable than crotch rockets, less comfy than cruisers. The fastest bike I have owned. After 7k miles, the worst (and only) issue is a very small oil leak. I would not recommend this as a starter bike.

1999 ZX-6

Pretty good comfort for a street bike. Decent power in the 8,000rpm+ range. Stays with larger cc bikes until the early 100mph's. I put ~3k miles on it, zero issues.

1990 GSXF 600 (aka Katana).

Good starter bike. Not nearly as sexy as other street bikes smile.gif . Good comfort for longer rides. Good passenger position. Can still pull a wheelie if you ask it nicely enough. Again, no mechanical issues.

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750.

Sluggish entry-level cruiser. Very comfortable. No problems with 50-100 mile trips. Decent looks. Can be had very cheap. Great starter for the crusier crowd.

1980 yamaha xs400 first and only bike i have owned thus far, EXTREMELY SLOW. 85-88 mph is absolute tops for this machine. crusing at 70 is almost a nightmere, it simply lacks the power to keep a consistant speed on the highway. around town it's fine. approx 40mpg, i guess it's ok for a very first, VERY cheap bike. but you'll outgrow it pretty fast. oh yeah, it's a piece of cake to work on.

1990 Honda CBR600. Great bike, extremely comfortable for a sportbike. Not the quickest out there (tops out at around 140mph), but definitely quick enough for a first bike. Another plus is that this bike, while being 15 years old, does not look like your typical 15 year old motorcycle. Looks are very up to date, and bike has great lines. I would definitely suggest it for anyone looking for an affordable, quick beginner's bike.

You dumb fucks.

This isn't a thread to brag about or list what bikes you have owned. It's purpose is to give a review of their good and bad features.

Originally posted by MadMalibu:

Homo

Yes, he is.

smile.gif

2000 Honda F4 : Great starter bike, comfortable and wasnt too much to learn on!

2001 Honda F4i : It was modded and lowered but upgraded version of the starter bike! Good choice

2003 GSXR 600: I LOVE THIS BIKE!

1993 CBR-600F2. Good looking bike that still looks fairly modern. It's not bad for 2-up riding and is not very heavy (400 lbs dry, which was light then). It is a sportbike, so not as forgiving, and, even though it has 'only' 79 HP, it is more than enough to get you into trouble if you are a new rider. Tops out around 145 MPH (I know). Handles nicely and can keep up with the pack in the twisties if it has a competent rider. Plus they are cheap, now.

I don't know that I would recommend a 600 CC sportbike as a first bike, but it was my first bike. I have a fairly level head. It is doable if you respect the bike and keep your head screwed on straight.

Current bike - 03 ZX-9R. I just got this baby after being out of riding for a couple of years. I have taken it around the block (3 TOTAL miles so far), but I am taking the MSF class this week to refresh myself and also try to prevent myself from re-learning any bad habits.

The ZX-9R is NOT a beginners bike. It weighs about the same as the 93 CBR (~400lbs dry), but is a little wider and perhaps a touch taller. I need to adjust the suspension on mine to make it sit a little lower so I can comfortable touch the ground.

Has much more power than the CBR did down low. I can see that it would be VERY easy to get into trouble on this bike, and it feels like it would wheelie in 1st or 2nd gear without too much problem.

If someone REALLY wanted a sportbike as their first bike, I would say an early/mid 90's 600 is probably the best thing to start with. The newer 600 bikes are so much more powerful and lighter than the older 600s it's ridiculous.

1987 Kawasaki Ninja 750R

First bike, bought about 7 years ago, though hasn't ran for the past 2 years.

- Peaky powerplant, not much going on below 6000RPM.

- Heavy when compared to modern 750's, and the weight is up top.

- Not an easy bike to get on the back wheel, which can be both good and bad.

Overall it's an alright first bike, definately more difficult to ride than a modern bike, but let's you know what it is doing as well. Not overly fast (any modern 600 will walk it), but can still get up and go. I had it to an indicated 135, my step dad had it to an indicated 155 and pulling, but probably knock 10-20MPH off that for the true speeds the bike was going. Was clocked at 120MPH when a cop pulled my buddy over on it and given a verbal warning. :D

2005 Kawasaki zx10r

Well where to start my bike can handle any thing I throw at in fact I'll prolly never ride my bike to its full potential, but I can say this it is a smooth ride and it only rides as fast as I drive it. As far as power yah it's got it but all 1000'cc bikes have that these days. When I went shopping for a bike the 10r felt best to me because as far as bikes go its al about what you are comfortable with. Except maybe GSXR's they are for squids tongue.gifgraemlins/nutkick.gif;)

2003 Yamaha YZF-R6. my first and current bike, other that a lot of motocross bikes, pretty light weight, smallest of the 600's overall size wise. don't know what it tops out at but i've had it to just over 160 at about 13,xxx RPM and still pulling hard. easy to ride, likes fast corners, does some good ridin on 1 wheel (front or rear wheel) and it looks damn good.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 420GSXR1000

'83 yamaha virago....cruiser, great starter bike to learn how to ride

'86 Yamaha Radian....another great "sport/cruiser"

600cc (fzr motor with different gearing)...good bike to learn about sport riding without the discomfort or massive power

2004 GSXR1000...WHOA!!!! great bike, fun and fast!!!for the begginer??? well see below for overall..

overall.....if your an ADULT (lets say over 25 or more), almost any bike can be a "learner" in my opinion, because adults know the danger of driving beyond your limits, and we realise we are NOT indestructible and YES you can DIE riding in todays world!!! as opposed to a KID that buys a new 1000 or even 600 that on his first day riding ever, wants to learn wheelies, do 150 mph, ect.....

remember... RIDE @ OWN RISK....and watch out for the 4 wheelers man, they cant drive or see you!!!

• 2 weeks later...

72 honda cb-350 Fun to work on, light, good starter bike. toped at indicated 130. It rides a little stiff, and by no means is a performance bike, but you can get em on ebay for a hundred or so, work on em a little, and go ride. Bonus, if you lay it down, parts are all over ebay for cheap as hell.

1973 honda cb-450 parts bike, motor locked up. for $15, im getting my money out of it.

1977 honda cb-750 HEAVY dont know how well it rides, only got to put about 50 miles on it before i got deployed, havent gotten it back on the road since. Worth the $100 i paid for it though.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest xxxyyyzzz

+1 on the '72 CB350. Great little bike, still have mine. There's even a race series for these old beaters... Easy as hell to work on, good for a first bike to ride around town, backroads, just not a freeway bike unless you like weaving around in crosswinds.

That indicated 130 is probably about 100-105 if accurately measured. Still, with this chassis, that's enough.

87 honda vfr interceptor

horribley slow v twin

no torque, very bad handling, most god ugly styling i have ever seen. but its a good starter bike.

95 Honda CBR 900RR

lots of power, handles well in the corners, pretty light for a mid 90s sport bike, riding postiion was comfortable, and the seat was real cushy. great wheelie bike.

98 Kawasaki ZX7R

lacking power, but incredible handling. this bike is perfectly balanced, and could outrun liter bikes through the corners.

03 honda cbr 954

the bomb shizzle stunt bike. great power band.. tons of power, fuel injection rocks, yet a bit twitchy on slow stuff. light and well balanced. dont know about its cornering abilities for i dont do twisties on it. but it will take a beating and keep on going.

96 600 Ninja.

Good starter bike as it doesn't have to much power, very forgiving in the repairs department, not as fast as most would like. Like I said, a good starter bike.

99 T1000

A good looking bike but sucked for repairs. Might have been just mine but was in the shop for more than it was on the road.

04 Buell XB12R

Very fast bike, for the most part, reliable, and very good in the corners. This bike is more geared for the experienced track .

• 3 weeks later...

gsxr-1300r - f'in awesome, gross display of horsepower right off the shelf, definitely not starter bike. very comfortable to ride for a sport bike even for a fatass (much like myself)

honda 919 - owned for two years, great bike, handles well, comfortable for a sporty bike. good power.

kaw zzr1200 - almost bought one, test drive was great, hard to get a feel for a bike before broken in, but has great power. comfortable, handles well

1989 vfr 250 - great starter bike, very little power, still had a little bit of a sport bike look it's comparable to ninja 250

1996 suzuki rf 600r - nice upgrade of a bike, wasn't stock so i don't know how they ran that way but with mine was very fast and ran good for 600....kept up with the early 01's-02' 600's

2001 Suzuki TL 1000R - lot more powerful than either of the 2 bikes very smooth powerband since being a v-twin so I love that, not a beginners bike and not as good of handling bike either

First bike was an 84 Seca 400 back in 1990. Then I steeped up to an 88 Hurricane 600 a year later. After I sold that one I stayed away from bikes until 2000 when I bought an 82 Seca 650 Turbo for me and a Rebel 250 for the girlfriend. After we move out of the apartment and into a house I'll be looking for an older GSXR 1100 or CBR 1000.