Bike Selection Question

Guest trbotln

Guest trbotln
Ive been looking to get a sportbike this year, and was interested in a 1999 Kawasaki ZX-7R Ninja. My question is if this bike will be overkill for me? Im a beginner rider with little time riding, and didnt want to get something to big. I just wanted to make sure this bike wasnt going to be to much before I bought it. Thanks Daryl

Depends on if you plan on taking a riding class. You can start on a 1300 busa if you are smart about it.

Take the riding course and then decide what type of bike you want.

I know a guy selling a 1999 Ducati 900 Se for $5500

i had a 98 zx7r, they are nice bikes, not a good wheelie bike, but great for handling. they arent a liter bike, and really arent that much powerful than a new r6, gsxr, or cbr600rr. inline bikes are very peppy and are high revving machines. really no bottom end in a 750cc or lower inline bike, but tons of power up top. all depends on wht ya wanna do wiht it, and how long your gonna keep it. ive seen alot of people buying sv650s, or ninja 500s. great starter bikes, but after about 5 months you get used to the bike really fast, and will want something quicker. so id say a inline 600, or the zx7r are great choices, jsut be smart and dont courageous. take the msf course, watch yourself, and wear proper gear. and always.. always.. have respect for the bike.

Originally posted by Hoblick:

i had a 98 zx7r, they are nice bikes, not a good wheelie bike, but great for handling. they arent a liter bike, and really arent that much powerful than a new r6, gsxr, or cbr600rr. inline bikes are very peppy and are high revving machines. really no bottom end in a 750cc or lower inline bike, but tons of power up top. all depends on wht ya wanna do wiht it, and how long your gonna keep it. ive seen alot of people buying sv650s, or ninja 500s. great starter bikes, but after about 5 months you get used to the bike really fast, and will want something quicker. so id say a inline 600, or the zx7r are great choices, jsut be smart and dont courageous. take the msf course, watch yourself, and wear proper gear. and always.. always.. have respect for the bike.

I agree 100%.

Don't be set to go out and show off the first day you have it. The only thing separating you from doing something stupid is you. Never ride past your comfort level, and remember that you cannot learn too slowly. Don’t be in a hurry to do anything.

RESPECT IT. LEARN IT. RIDE IT. LOVE IT.

Originally posted by Hoblick:

ive seen alot of people buying sv650s, or ninja 500s. great starter bikes, but after about 5 months you get used to the bike really fast, and will want something quicker.

once again, this depends on what you wanna do. I'm totally happy with my SVS. 140mph is fine with me and I guarantee i'll lose you in the twisties. Suzuki SV's are straight up handling bikes. If you want to do track days or just ride some good twisties, then an SV is PERFECT. Plus the v-twin motor has gobs of low-end power which makes it a fun commuter bike that will help keep you from gettin into too much high speed trouble. I originally thought I had outgrown the bike until I found the fun of draggin a knee. So if you wanna stunt, drag race, or just ride FAST, then yea take an inline, but the SV by far is the best all around bike.

yeah i rode a Ninja 500/EX500 for a year before i got my 636, the difference in having a more powerful bike as ur first is the consequences of error. On a 500 if u fuck up on the throttle a bit or brake a little too much, u wont get in as much trouble as like on my 636 which has much much more powerful brakes and weighs 40 lbs less with 60 more hp. Basically if u fuck up, ur more likely to get fucked up on a more powerful bike just my oppinion...

I started on an '88 600 Katana. It was fun.

Then got a '99 ZX-6. It was also a great bike.

Then got an '00 919. After 1+ year, there's no sign of outgrowing this bike.

My suggestion would be to start on an older 600. If you're 5'7ish or smaller, consider a 500.

Guest trbotln
Thanks for the replys. Im really just looking for a bike to cruise around in and maybe to work here and there. I used to own a early 90's cant remember the exact year suzuki 500 rode it for a summer, it was a great bike but decided to sell it and know im ready to get a new one.

dont need to go faster than 140 when twisties are all that matter. if you wanna drag race, then more power to ya. but bikes are made for twisties, i'd rather take a turn at 2-3x the rec. speed than ride 160mph anyday.

My suggestion would be to start on an older 600. If you're 5'7ish or smaller, consider a 500.
+1!!! I had a 89 Katana 600. That bike was awesome.. then went to a 91 GSXR 750, then to a 94 CBR900RR. The CBR was the best bike I ever had (until I lost it in a turn after hitting some gravel doing about 70) Bike caught fire and burned to the ground... Now I'm sticking with 4 wheels instead of 2 (until my boy goes off to college) I miss my bike, but cruisin in my 67 GTO with my 6 yr old boy beats any twisties I've ever been on (especially when he says... chirp the tires Dad!!!) smile.gif