New pics from Sat..

flounder

Yeah I will be working on getting off the bike more.

Yeah I am running stock rearsets.

Aftermarket rearsets - even the non-adjustable - kind make a HUGE difference. If you're just grinding the shifter peg and brake peg you may want to try adjusting them up if you haven't already.

Good Luck :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aftermarket rearsets - even the non-adjustable - kind make a HUGE difference. If you're just grinding the shifter peg and brake peg you may want to try adjusting them up if you haven't already.

Good Luck :D

Im grinding shifter, brake, and pedals and I already removed the 1/2 posts from the bottom of the pegs to give more clearance...

_MG_5281.jpg

This one the BP is dang near perfect. Todd is right, but don't push for it until you can relax on the bars.

It is hard to tell, but it looks like you have a tight grip. One thing you could try is on the longer corners open your left hand to remind yourself to relax. This helps me a lot on the 20 lap races and especially on the bumpy long corners of Nelson. It is hard to do in back section cause you are constantly changing direction, but Carosel, Key hole, T1, and some over the hill in T7 are good places.

I can't wait to see the video. Did Lizard give you some line pointers this time around now that you are running at a fast pace?

Flounder is kinda like me where he's tall and the body position never looks as good as midgets like John (Ducati 1098 behind John in the top pics).

My feelings on Flounder's BP is that while the lower body tends to look ok, the top half is slightly too centered. His head is all wrong and makes it look as if he's really having to twist his head in that weird angle...

Leaning off more at the top might prevent that. It's hard to tell.

My point I try and stress to guys is that while there is a "textbook" way to position yourself on a motorcycle at track speed, there's no EXACT way to do it. Meaning, look at the top 5 MotoGP guys. Top five AMA guys, etc... All with different BPs and styles...

Comfort is key and pinnacle as to what you want to have. The techniques of getting faster comes later...

I tell Flounder what I tell everyone else. "You just have to go fucking faster"... That's from Ricky Carmichael, by the way in how he helps riders he's teaching to get better...

Lizard did give me compliments at the track although I know he will never admit it. I will always having something I can work on at the track.

By the way, the videos are edited and I will hopefully be uploading them to youtube tonight.. Their upload page was down for maintenance last night and I cant do it here at work.

Flounder is kinda like me where he's tall and the body position never looks as good as midgets like John (Ducati 1098 behind John in the top pics).

My feelings on Flounder's BP is that while the lower body tends to look ok, the top half is slightly too centered. His head is all wrong and makes it look as if he's really having to twist his head in that weird angle...

My point I try and stress to guys is that while there is a "textbook" way to position yourself on a motorcycle at track speed, there's no EXACT way to do it. Meaning, look at the top 5 MotoGP guys. Top five AMA guys, etc... All with different BPs and styles...

Comfort is key and pinnacle as to what you want to have. The techniques of getting faster comes later...

I tell Flounder what I tell everyone else. "You just have to go fucking faster"... That's from Ricky Carmichael, by the way in how he helps riders he's teaching to get better...

I'll agree that everyone does it differently - to a point. However, "comfort" really isn't a key to anything - other than being comfortable. Just because it feels "right" doesnt mean it is right, you know?

There are several fast guys that tend to "rotate" the upper body rather than get it off the bike. Pegram, Hodgson, and Colin Edwards come to mind. I used to do the same thing, but I found out that I was FASTER around the track, and used less lean angle if I got my upper body away from the center of the bike. In the beginning it was a lot more work, and and it was "uncomfortable" as hell. I made a committment to it though, and by the end of the season it became "second nature".

Lizard did give me compliments at the track although I know he will never admit it. I will always having something I can work on at the track.

By the way, the videos are edited and I will hopefully be uploading them to youtube tonight.. Their upload page was down for maintenance last night and I cant do it here at work.

Hey, we all know Liz is a dick...lol. I've learned not to expect much from him....:D

Anyway, can't wait to see the vids!

I'll agree that everyone does it differently - to a point. However, "comfort" really isn't a key to anything - other than being comfortable. Just because it feels "right" doesnt mean it is right, you know?

There are several fast guys that tend to "rotate" the upper body rather than get it off the bike. Pegram, Hodgson, and Colin Edwards come to mind. I used to do the same thing, but I found out that I was FASTER around the track, and used less lean angle if I got my upper body away from the center of the bike. In the beginning it was a lot more work, and and it was "uncomfortable" as hell. I made a committment to it though, and by the end of the season it became "second nature".

Hey, we all know Liz is a dick...lol. I've learned not to expect much from him....:D

Anyway, can't wait to see the vids!

First thing you will probably notice in the vids is that I could make up allot of time just from where Im holding my RPMS in corners, I could get faster acceleration out of turns if I kept them higher,, Im thinking of changing the gearing to suit mid O and also changing to a R1 throttle tube for shorter rotation to WOT.

Honestly, just another reason to work on the bike, I enjoy working on it, and those are fairly cheap mods unless I do a 520 which I know lizard wants me to do. Definitely doing the R1 throttle tube as I catch myself not rotating to WOT on the straight..

First thing you will probably notice in the vids is that I could make up allot of time just from where Im holding my RPMS in corners, I could get faster acceleration out of turns if I kept them higher,, Im thinking of changing the gearing to suit mid O and also changing to a R1 throttle tube for shorter rotation to WOT.

Honestly, just another reason to work on the bike, I enjoy working on it, and those are fairly cheap mods unless I do a 520 which I know lizard wants me to do. Definitely doing the R1 throttle tube as I catch myself not rotating to WOT on the straight..

The correct gearing along with a 520 would make a big difference. You eliminate a fair amount of rotating weight, and expand your gearing selection exponentially.

Vids are up.. I split them in 4 sections for the limits on youtube.. The actual vid quality is much better then this but youtube compresses them.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gnaa3nB8tE

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7LhAjCwLo8

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USBHoufSnVk

Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1UJLlFZjzE

Part 3 has some good footage around from about 5:55-7:50 or so and is also the vid where lizard is following me and then me following him. And just remember people that the fist lap after leaving the pit is always a bit slower then the rest. Aslo, the people you see wearing yellow mesh jerseys are instructors.

Vids are up.. I split them in 4 sections for the limits on youtube.. The actual vid quality is much better then this but youtube compresses them.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gnaa3nB8tE

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7LhAjCwLo8

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USBHoufSnVk

Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1UJLlFZjzE

Part 3 has some good footage around from about 5:55-7:50 or so and is also the vid where lizard is following me and then me following him. And just remember people that the fist lap after leaving the pit is always a bit slower then the rest. Aslo, the people you see wearing yellow mesh jerseys are instructors.

part 1 looks like dude was just plain in the way

The "take out" move was when I decided I would lead him around, but for whatever reason, Floundey decides to look over his shoulder... I seriously thought we were gonna touch...

Hopefully, I was able to show him some better line choices. I know I was playing a little fair, but that last session out when Monte, John and Troy took off, I didn't wait up very well... Sorry.

I have about three things to go over with Floundey and I think it won't totally drop his times, but it will make it less work...

Lizard what gearing you run at Mid OH? -1/+1??

I could get away with -1 +2 on the 1k there easily.

It wouldn't be the same as what you'd run on the 1000... I think it is a 15/45 or 44... Don't quote me, I'd have to look at my notes first...

I wish I could see the videos here at work to see if I can pick out where lizard is thinking.

Yeah I know -1 +2 on my 600 was perfect for Mid OH, since I never used 6th at Mid OH on the 1k with -1 +1 I figure +2 would be perfect.

But I will never know till next year now...

I wish I could see the videos here at work to see if I can pick out where lizard is thinking.

Yeah I know -1 +2 on my 600 was perfect for Mid OH, since I never used 6th at Mid OH on the 1k with -1 +1 I figure +2 would be perfect.

But I will never know till next year now...

You never used 6th?!?!? Oh, wait... You meant the 1000, right?

those are some sweet pix for sure. awesome angles and places that i've never seen anyone shoot before. oh and you look like a pos out there! lmao. j/k. any times??

Yeah I said the exact same thing to him about the angles and locations.. they were great pics..

I was averaging 1:44-145 in traffic and almost broke into the 1:42's. I had repeated low 1:43s showing on the timer . My Goal is still to hit 40 or below by the end of the year. Im pretty sure I can do it.

Hell I think :43's are damn good for a non racer but I would love to hit the 40 or sub 40 mark.

You never used 6th?!?!? Oh, wait... You meant the 1000, right?

Yeah on the 1k. On the 600 I would click 5th as I pitch into kink then as soon as I got it on the side of the tire had to click sixth or bounce off the limiter.

Only time on the 1k I was just leaving it fifth registering 180+ at the exit of the kink and still on the gas for about 2 more seconds.

Yeah on the 1k. On the 600 I would click 5th as I pitch into kink then as soon as I got it on the side of the tire had to click sixth or bounce off the limiter.

Only time on the 1k I was just leaving it fifth registering 180+ at the exit of the kink and still on the gas for about 2 more seconds.

i click 6th before i dip in for the kink, and it goes to redline on the side of the tire and holds at like 500 under in 6th all the way. we'll see how it works with the engine/gearing changes

you wish you were tall~:slap: don't make me break out the pix of the tall guy

i click 6th before i dip in for the kink, and it goes to redline on the side of the tire and holds at like 500 under in 6th all the way. we'll see how it works with the engine/gearing changes

Well with your runs out of the keyhole I would be too... Big difference when you are running 35s or better and me running 38-40s

But the 1k next time I think I would be needing sixth mid kink on it too.