What bank do you use? Happy with it?

JaSSon

I have a savings account, checking account, and credit card through Key bank. I don't have any problems with the service persay, but they are just too few and far between! So, i am gonna cancel all three and set up a savings and checking account with another bank. What banks are you guys using? Any gripes/praises?

Guest jpurdy2003
Everyone in my family has used National City for many years (40+). The nice thing is that they have ATM's pretty much everywhere within a day's drive, so the likelihood of paying an extra fee is slim, unless you're really lazy. Also, they seem to charge less fees for less things than other banks.

I use National City. I have for the past 4 or so years. No real problems, the only one I can think of is when their was a huge computer clitch last year and they tried to charge me an over draft fee. I went to my bank and they fixed it immediatley.

-Marc

I bank w/ UsBank and was formerly an employee there. I have a totally free checking, totally free savings and totally free business checking. I was provided debit cards with the business and checking and have free online access to both as well. The software supports downloading your statement to Microsoft Money and Quicken. Online bill payment service is available but I choose not to use it, you can however do free transfer's online. There are a ton of UsBanks but if you have to use another atm their fee is only 1.25.

Best part of their service is the 5 star service guarantee. IF they fail to do the following things they will deposit 5 dollars into your account apon request.

1) if you have to wait in any teller line more than 5 minutes(ever been in the drivethrough on a friday, $$)

2) if their atm is unavailable to deposit or w/d from

3) if your statement is inaccurate

4)if they do not respond to your question by the end of business day

5)if your still not happy w/ any service your allowed the 5 bucks

they've bought me free lunch on numberous occasions smile.gif The only fee i've ever seen from them was for using the atm elsewhere. The free checking you sign up for(well the one i have) is called checking that pays. it works kinda like the discover card cash back thing, you get a certain percentage back for using your debit card. my last refund from this was 65 bucks. not bad for using something that is already very easy

Been using Bankone since last summer, my only complaint being a dipshit teller that didn't do a deposit right so I missed out on a paycheck. Now I deposit my paychecks right into the ATM, and it's never messed up. ATM's are EVERYWHERE. I've got a free checking account with a free Checkcard, which ROCKS. All my life I had used People's bank, but that's only in southeast ohio, so I dropped it since they have no coverage here.

Their online banking is easy to use. The only problem is that it takes a while for transactions to post, otherwise I like it.

Overall, Bankone = graemlins/thumb.gif

Guest njbargar
Originally posted by Mr Blunt 2gnt:

I bank w/ UsBank and was formerly an employee there. I have a totally free checking, totally free savings and totally free business checking. I was provided debit cards with the business and checking and have free online access to both as well. The software supports downloading your statement to Microsoft Money and Quicken. Online bill payment service is available but I choose not to use it, you can however do free transfer's online. There are a ton of UsBanks but if you have to use another atm their fee is only 1.25.

Best part of their service is the 5 star service guarantee. IF they fail to do the following things they will deposit 5 dollars into your account apon request.

1) if you have to wait in any teller line more than 5 minutes(ever been in the drivethrough on a friday, $$)

2) if their atm is unavailable to deposit or w/d from

3) if your statement is inaccurate

4)if they do not respond to your question by the end of business day

5)if your still not happy w/ any service your allowed the 5 bucks

they've bought me free lunch on numberous occasions smile.gif The only fee i've ever seen from them was for using the atm elsewhere. The free checking you sign up for(well the one i have) is called checking that pays. it works kinda like the discover card cash back thing, you get a certain percentage back for using your debit card. my last refund from this was 65 bucks. not bad for using something that is already very easy

+1 for US Bank. Had National Shitty for savings and a car loan. To sum it up, I'll never do business with them again.

I have banked with 5/3, National City and Huntington.

5/3 - Customer service is not their thing, They cannot be bothered to get your checks (when you get new checks) to you in a timely manner. Online Banking interface is nice but transactions are slow to appear, I mean sloooowwwwww. Even ATM withdrawals from their own ATM's

National City - Takes 2 calls to get anything done. I have never gone into the bank when I had an issue so that may have resulted in faster resolution. Haven't used their online banking.

Huntington - You have to play by their rules. If you don't, they will be happy to charge you a fee like Jallen said. The best online banking when it comes to speed. You wouldn't be on this site if you didn't like speed right?

CJ

I have US Bank for my checking account which is what I use most frequently. They are fairly good on posting times and always accurate. Customer service has been helpful but it's always beneficial to frequent one or two branches so they recognize you (get better treatment). Only thing I don't like is the operating hours: seems like only 1/4 of the branches are open what I consider modern banking hours (lobby open till 5 every day and 6 on Friday, until 1 on Saturday).

I don't have savings accts and an IRA at a local bank back home where my family has done business for years, so my experince with US Bank is limited to checking only. I recommend them though.

I used to have a StarBank/FirstStar/US Bank checking account. I use my checkcard a lot, and several times it wouldn't clear. I would go to the bank to check my balance, and it was fine! :mad: It's so embarrasing when that happens!

Also, finding an open ATM was a problem. I remember one day, I went to the FirstStar bank on Cleveland Ave & Innis, it was closed, then I went to the one Morse Rd & Karl Rd, it was down, and then I drove up to the Meijer on 161 & Cleveland Ave, and it was down. All just to avoid the ATM fee from other banks!

Also, I applied for their credit card, and I got turned down. Sure, I had no credit history, but screw them anyways. :D

My dad is a former US Marine and he had a Navy Federal Credit Union account. He helped me join, and I've had no problems since! I now have a checking, savings, and credit card account with them. Everything is free, including ordering checks, and I get back interest on my checking account. They are also very generous (maybe a little too generous for my benefit) when it comes to credit.

Overall, I am very pleased and plan on staying with them from now on. The only problem is, of course, is that they do not have a branch here in Central Ohio, so I have to always withdraw from another bank's ATM and pay the fee. Also, any deposits I have to make has to be through mail.

Still beats FirstStar!

On a side note, when I had my '95 WS.6, I got the loan from 5/3. When I traded it in for the '01, the dealership applied to a bunch of banks for the lease including 5/3. I ended up with Huntington for the lease. A few weeks later, I got two letters from 5/3. The first one basically said, "Your loan with us has been paid off. Thank you and we look forward to doing business with you again." The other letter was a decline letter for the lease. Hahahaha! Owned by 5/3! graemlins/asshole.gif

I have an account with Bank One since I am an employee but I'm not really sure how good it is yet.

I also have an account at Western Credit Union. Never have any problems with them at all. They don't offer all kinds of services like everyone else but I can bank at any of the CU's in their network and use their ATM's free. They also have awesome rates on loans and they are very helpful when I call them on the phone and ask questions about anything.

Originally posted by Mr. 2:

I was with National City Bank for many years untill they misplaced ALOT of my money. Couldn't tell me where or how. After I got that settled I switched over to BankOne. I have not had a problem with them yet.

Same thing happed to me at National City. Not a huge amount, but 2k is 2k. After I got it back, went and got 2 new accounts. 1 at Huntington, more for saving. Then First merit for my daily bank. First merit is good, havent recieved my 500 free checks though.

As a relative of employees at some time of Key Bank, BankOne, USBank, 5/3, National City, and Citizen's Bank, allow me to say the USBank > *. 5 Star Service Garauntee rocks. Online service rocks. Millions of branches rocks. The fact that my account with them is always low sucks....but I guess I can't blame them for that one. smile.gif

I use Unizan. Great bank. Never ever had a problem with them. Great customer service and I get free checking. Plus when I use my debit card a percentage is given back to me as gift certificates at the end of the year. Last year I got $70. Only problem is that they do not have many offices. I think there is only 3 of them in Columbus. But I don't need to be at the bank that often.