Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by Spyder550:

Thanks, man. I got everything that I'm running at wincustomize.com:

Desktop X

Object Dock

Rainlender

Sysmetrix

Fun things to play around with...

<font color ="midnightblue"> What program do you need to get a new desktop to run? I've downloaded and unzipped 2 different desktops and I can't figure out how to get either of them to work.

Guest Crankshaft
<font color ="midnightblue"> Ok, I've figured out how to get the theme running with DesktopX, but how do you install those widgets and desktop objects? I have a feeling it's similar to getting the desktop theme to work in that you have to change the file extension from something like, "bluewidget.zip" to "bluewidget.dxwidget". How'd you get it to work?

Guest Spyder550
Originally posted by Folkvang:

<font color ="midnightblue"> Meh. I got it figured out (for the most part). Thoughts?

http://img101.exs.cx/img101/3126/desktop8qa.th.jpg

Sorry I wasn't able toget back to you until now. It looks good, though!

If you play around for a while, you'll find what style suits you best. The first thing I got was ObjectDock to get rid of the damn Windows taskbar and start menu. That's what gives me the magnified bar on the right. My favorite thing.

I'm always playing with new widgets, backgrounds, etc. Two of my favorite other desktops:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/blacklt4//desktopbigii.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/blacklt4//desktopbigv.jpg

It may not be cool in the slightest, but it's fun to play with when bored...

Post any new ones you come up with. graemlins/thumb.gif

Guest Crankshaft

<font color ="midnightblue"> I posted this question on the windows customize board, but I don't know how long it'll take to get an answer, so I'll ask you: I got my new theme up and running, then rebooted my computer. When windows loaded again, it was back to the original XP theme. The new theme, widgets, and objects were all gone and had to be reloaded. What the hell is up with that?? That's not going to happen every time I reboot, is it?

Oh yeah, and how do I customize the XP user login screen, as well as the boot screen?

Guest Spyder550
Originally posted by Folkvang:

<font color ="midnightblue"> I posted this question on the windows customize board, but I don't know how long it'll take to get an answer, so I'll ask you: I got my new theme up and running, then rebooted my computer. When windows loaded again, it was back to the original XP theme. The new theme, widgets, and objects were all gone and had to be reloaded. What the hell is up with that?? That's not going to happen every time I reboot, is it?

Oh yeah, and how do I customize the XP user login screen, as well as the boot screen?

To have Desktop X load at startup, right-click on the desktop while X is running. You'll see a menu pop up; go down to "DesktopX" and hit "configure DesktopX." Select the "preferences" tab and choose "run automatically when Windows starts." Done.

For login, download BootSkins and LogonStudio from wincustomize.com and pick what screens you like from the archives.

I use this one: graemlins/grin2.gif

http://skins2.wincustomize.com/swissboy/bootskin/EvilEdition.jpg

Hope this helps. graemlins/nod.gif

Guest Crankshaft

<font color ="midnightblue"> Ok, I have everything solved EXCEPT this one, last, horribly annoying thing: no matter what resolution is claimed, or is displayed on image viewing programs of the logon background, it always is smaller than the actual screen size. What do I mean?

When I load a new logon page using the Logon-skin program you recommended, the size of the background image fits the screen. Then, after about 2 or 3 seconds, it automatically resizes so that there appears a 1/4 inch black rim around the screen. I've checked the resolution of the logons I'm loading and they have plenty of space to fill up the screen. Why the hell are they being resized??

Thanks for your help; hopefully it won't be needed again after this. (regret showing me that link yet?) ;)

EDIT - Nevermind, fixed it. *yeesh*