Proper way to "break in" new tires

xtremef4i

I only worry about the graese they put on the outside of the tire I thought it was to help them not to drie out on the shelf, whatever , When that's gone, 50 miles or so, Or sand off the residue quick before you ride ?

that deserves a kick in the nards lol...j/k.....

i know its an old thread....but i usually go to the mall parking lot and do figure 8's and just keep get'n lower and lower till im on the edge of the tire and make sure all the mold release is off and your good to go.......it takes like 10 minutes at most...plus its fun watch'n all the people flip'n out on me drag'n a knee in the parking lot at 10 m.p.h. lol....i do that with every new set of tires i get(which is around 2 sets a year)...

Doesn't do a thing. Weaving is a myth and does nothing for you. As stated before, it is about heat and while friction like weaving can help, it doesn't do it any quicker than if you brake and accerate...

There's no more release agents being used really that needs to be "scuffed" off as it used to be. So, weaving = squid. Don't be a squid.:D

Doesn't do a thing. Weaving is a myth and does nothing for you. As stated before, it is about heat and while friction like weaving can help, it doesn't do it any quicker than if you brake and accerate...

There's no more release agents being used really that needs to be "scuffed" off as it used to be. So, weaving = squid. Don't be a squid.:D

lol...not weaving, tight figure 8's a few times is all...i also do it to get the clag off after a trackday.. so how do you get it off the edges if ya dont lean it over? the last set of pilot powers i bought last year like every other year and set ive bought, are like ride'n on ice till the mold release is off....and it sure as hell is not as squidish as use'n frick'n sand paper hahahhaahahhahaaha...im not go'n to a track with fresh non-scrubbed tires(especially without warmers)....its just a routine ive done for years and im comfy with it.....call me a squid if ya want, i dont care lol..ask fonzie,ive ridden with him quite a few times here in findlay, im far from be'n a squid lol...its all good...

Edited by RR_MIKE

whoever did the neg. rep point thing with the fucking squid comment along with it... what the fuck ever man... i forgot, your the bestest gosh dern motorcicle rider there is arent ya? talk away lil man, talk away....i could give 2 fucks what you or anybody else thinks...

Edited by RR_MIKE

whoever did the neg. rep point thing with the fucking squid comment along with it... what the fuck ever man... i forgot, your the bestest gosh dern motorcicle rider there is arent ya? talk away lil man, talk away....i could give 2 fucks what you or anybody else thinks...

I hooked ya up with some positive rep, only because you have a honda :D

dont worry about it dude. the rep means nothing on this site.
nah, no worries, it aint no biggie..i figured it wouldnt be long before somebody popped off about something i wrote..i love argue'n,ask my x-wife hahahahahahahahahaha.. its all good man...

hahahaha thanx lol....

IMO, sandpaper is the best and safest way to break them in. Just put your bike up on rear stands, start it up, put it in gear, and hold the sandpaper to the tire (I prefer 60-80grit). The faster way is to get a buddy to hold the throttle open (maybe like 45-50mph) and use an electric grinder with sandpaper disc. This is also a good way to lube your chain and remove fingers. ;)

+ another

IMO, sandpaper is the best and safest way to break them in. Just put your bike up on rear stands, start it up, put it in gear, and hold the sandpaper to the tire (I prefer 60-80grit). The faster way is to get a buddy to hold the throttle open (maybe like 45-50mph) and use an electric grinder with sandpaper disc. This is also a good way to lube your chain and remove fingers. ;)

hahahahahahahhaahaa....i thought that was only good for knee pucks lol... hmmm, lets see, if i sand my pucks, and just buy race take offs from really fast guys, i could look really cool at a bikenight hahahahahaha...

Edited by RR_MIKE

hahahahahahahhaahaa....i thought that was only good for knee pucks lol... hmmm, lets see, if i sand my pucks, and just buy race take offs from really fast guys, i could look really cool at a bikenight hahahahahaha...

:dunno: That's what I do. ;)

lol...not weaving, tight figure 8's a few times is all...i also do it to get the clag off after a trackday.. so how do you get it off the edges if ya dont lean it over? the last set of pilot powers i bought last year like every other year and set ive bought, are like ride'n on ice till the mold release is off....and it sure as hell is not as squidish as use'n frick'n sand paper hahahhaahahhahaaha...im not go'n to a track with fresh non-scrubbed tires(especially without warmers)....its just a routine ive done for years and im comfy with it.....call me a squid if ya want, i dont care lol..ask fonzie,ive ridden with him quite a few times here in findlay, im far from be'n a squid lol...its all good...

Figure 8s are the same as riding around the track at a slower pace until heat gets into them. Really, you can accomplish more quicker by going out and riding normal and using brakes and accelerating than doing the parking lot deal.

To each their own, but the thing is that you don't need to anymore. The release agent you speak of is pretty much not an issue anymore as the molds are high polished and allow for the tires to release easily. It's an old school mentality.

However, if it makes you comfy, that's cool. Each of us do different things to make us feel comfortable. I just wanted to point out it isn't needed...

for the person who has nothing better to do than give me neg rep keep it coming!

the rep on this site means nothing. its a pointless tool.

yay!

I gave you negative rep because I figured it was cool... BUT, I'm not a spineless pussy who is afraid to post their name after negative rep... I always sign or list my user name in the ones I do. Which is like a total of three now!!:D

Figure 8s are the same as riding around the track at a slower pace until heat gets into them. Really, you can accomplish more quicker by going out and riding normal and using brakes and accelerating than doing the parking lot deal.

To each their own, but the thing is that you don't need to anymore. The release agent you speak of is pretty much not an issue anymore as the molds are high polished and allow for the tires to release easily. It's an old school mentality.

However, if it makes you comfy, that's cool. Each of us do different things to make us feel comfortable. I just wanted to point out it isn't needed...

So...what your saying is I can put away the sandpaper?

I gave you negative rep because I figured it was cool... BUT, I'm not a spineless pussy who is afraid to post their name after negative rep... I always sign or list my user name in the ones I do. Which is like a total of three now!!:D

lol thanks B

i feel special now

Edited by natedogg624

the only tire brand that still uses a mold release is michelin to my knowledge...ive pushed pretty hard on brand new tires on the street (nothin too crazy though) and i havent had a new tire slip yet.

That's a negative, Ghost Rider. Michelin doesn't at least in the tires that are commonly used right now.

lol @ the neg. rep. comments still come'n.. seriously,get a little more original man..you can come up with better stuff than that cant ya?.. your get'n lame on me bud...i sure as fuck hope you ride better than you try to burn somebody lol.. sorry for have'n to post this in here, but if he would of left a name, i could of said this in private...i think its funny, im always up for a good burnfest.... :drink: