Proper way to "break in" new tires

xtremef4i

I just got new tires for my bike and its been so long since I had new tires, I forget the proper way to break in, or scrub up new tires before you can really push them hard. I thought there was a certain number of miles that the tires had to have and so many heat cycles the tires needed to have. Any input would be great.

Thanks guys. I was thinking about 100 miles but wasnt for sure. I have to get used to my tires all over again. the new ones turn in so much quicker than my old ones. it didnt help that my old tire was squared off with about a 3 inch flat area all the way thru the center

• 2 weeks later...

I accelerate hard a few times then I ride take corners for about 20minutes, then I ride it like I stole it. Probably 30 miles and I'm WOT and that's with a ZX14. I also though weave it at about 35mph left and right scrubbing it in really hard going through town before I get to the backroads.

what tires are they? the more race style tires dont take much scrub in. it's all about heat really. i'll slap on a new set of tires and just wait to drag a knee for the first few corners, the it's game on. but i have them at 150* on the warmers

i believe it has to do with the grease they use at the factory to pull the tires out of the mold, so you know, once you scuff that stuff off im sure its ok to push them. if you used the sandpaper method im guessing you could take off all the gunk in your garage, and look like a bad ass to boot! :nono:

The tires are Dunlop Roadsmarts. They are a new sport touring tire with great grip and supposedly long mileage...I have a couple hundred miles on them now and I love them. I took turns easy for the first 50 miles but Im pushing as hard as I can now...Actually, I was pushing them pretty good the first day out on them...They heat up quick and suprisingly are pretty sticky. Hopefully I can get as good of mileage out of them as Dustin is getting out of his Pirelli Diablo Strata

• 6 months later...

i know its an old thread....but i usually go to the mall parking lot and do figure 8's and just keep get'n lower and lower till im on the edge of the tire and make sure all the mold release is off and your good to go.......it takes like 10 minutes at most...plus its fun watch'n all the people flip'n out on me drag'n a knee in the parking lot at 10 m.p.h. lol....i do that with every new set of tires i get(which is around 2 sets a year)...

what tires are they? the more race style tires dont take much scrub in. it's all about heat really. i'll slap on a new set of tires and just wait to drag a knee for the first few corners, the it's game on. but i have them at 150* on the warmers

+1... yep.. for street tires, just ride em for a few miles accelerating and braking until they heat up and then gradually get your lean on.

I only worry about the graese they put on the outside of the tire I thought it was to help them not to drie out on the shelf, whatever , When that's gone, 50 miles or so, Or sand off the residue quick before you ride ?