Crack in front window, what to do?

Trouble Maker

When a crack is filled it is legal again.

Notice the word "diffusion" in Rotarded's previous post. How many of these repairs have you actually looked through when they were finished? Distortion and diffusion are impossible to prevent when repairing damaged polyvinyl butyral encased glass. Per the Repair of Laminated Automotive Glass Standards Committee, the following applies: (See section 7.9)

7.0 Repair Limitations

Both the location and the condition of the damage are important considerations in the decision to repair. Replacement is recommended under any of the following circumstances, i.e. do not repair:

7.1 Damage that penetrates both the inside and outside layer of a laminated glass

7.2 Damage with three or more long cracks emanating from a single impact point

7.3 Damage on the inside layer of laminated glass

7.4 Damage that is contaminated with visible impurities that cannot be removed through cleaning

7.5 Damage in an area of the windshield where value-added features (see section 5.6) may be negatively affected by the damage and/or the repair process

7.5.1 Repair technicians should consult and follow any vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations before performing a repair on any value-added feature.

7.6 Damage with a pit size greater than 3/8 inch (9 mm)

7.7 Edge crack(s) that intersect more than one edge

7.8 Stress cracks

7.9 In the Driver’s Primary Viewing Area (DPVA) if:

7.9.1 Any damage being considered for repair has a diameter larger than one inch (25 mm)

7.9.2 The finished pit will be greater than 3/16 inch (5 mm)

7.9.3 The repair will be within 4 inches (100 mm) of another repair

7.10 If in the technician’s judgment any repair will impair the safety of the driver and or the occupant(s) of the vehicle

Notice the word "diffusion" in Rotarded's previous post. How many of these repairs have you actually looked through when they were finished? Distortion and diffusion are impossible to prevent when repairing damaged polyvinyl butyral encased glass. Per the Repair of Laminated Automotive Glass Standards Committee, the following applies: (See section 7.9)

7.0 Repair Limitations

Both the location and the condition of the damage are important considerations in the decision to repair. Replacement is recommended under any of the following circumstances, i.e. do not repair:

7.1 Damage that penetrates both the inside and outside layer of a laminated glass

7.2 Damage with three or more long cracks emanating from a single impact point

7.3 Damage on the inside layer of laminated glass

7.4 Damage that is contaminated with visible impurities that cannot be removed through cleaning

7.5 Damage in an area of the windshield where value-added features (see section 5.6) may be negatively affected by the damage and/or the repair process

7.5.1 Repair technicians should consult and follow any vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations before performing a repair on any value-added feature.

7.6 Damage with a pit size greater than 3/8 inch (9 mm)

7.7 Edge crack(s) that intersect more than one edge

7.8 Stress cracks

7.9 In the Driver’s Primary Viewing Area (DPVA) if:

7.9.1 Any damage being considered for repair has a diameter larger than one inch (25 mm)

7.9.2 The finished pit will be greater than 3/16 inch (5 mm)

7.9.3 The repair will be within 4 inches (100 mm) of another repair

7.10 If in the technician’s judgment any repair will impair the safety of the driver and or the occupant(s) of the vehicle

Doesn't mean they aren't legal and won't pass inspections. The repairs at Safelite I know pass inspection in CA and Mass which are two of the toughest states. Their repair qualifications are if the crack is less than 6 inches long.

Yup, you can definitely still see mine if you look, just not nearly as noticeable and shouldn't crack anymore.

Yup, your windshield now also meet safety requirements again as well.

Guest Harris92
just noticed this thread, so I apologize if I restate something, but the best thing to do if it is repairable, is to do this as soon as possible, as Im sure you know, the crack will obviously worsen otherwise, sometimes very quickly. My dad is the CEO of Triumph, he is an honest guy, and will give you a good quote, 99.9% of the time, this will be better than Safelite, (not talking out of my ass here, he has worked for them as well.) which is his no.1 competition.

Wish I would have been able to get a hold of you sooner Drew! I already got the work done. Like you said, the sooner the better. Would have loved to been able to give your Dad some of my insurance companies money so he can modify that CTS-V. :D

I'll keep them in mind if I ever need any other window work done.

Guest Harris92
I have been trying to get him to modify his CTS-V for a while now, he says he is going to wait towards the end of his warranty. Sorry for the late reply Jesse, if you have any other problems in the future, pm me and I will give you my number. Still got your DSM?

I have been trying to get him to modify his CTS-V for a while now, he says he is going to wait towards the end of his warranty. Sorry for the late reply Jesse, if you have any other problems in the future, pm me and I will give you my number. Still got your DSM?

Funny, I was almost going to ask if you still had yours in my last post.

Yeah, I still got it up on jackstands. Kind of debating on what to do with it.

Guest Harris92
I know the feeling, my car has come a long way since I got it, but its kind of like, whenever I put on a new modification or a new part, Ive got something else that needs to be done. So, I know exactly how you feel.