Crack in front window, what to do?

Trouble Maker

So I was driving home on Tuesday night and it was dark, heard a huge crack. It sounded like something exploded inside of my car. Looked around that side of the car when I got home, but saw nothing. Glanced over this morning on the way to work and there is a nice, solid crack in my windshield. It’s about 4 inches long, starts about half an inch from the edge of the window, and is about 6 inches off of the bottom of the window on the passenger’s side. The initial impact appears to be at the end of the crack closest to the edge of the windshield.

I’ve heard people say this can be ‘fixed’ so it won’t continue to crack? That the insurance company will even cover without a deductible (~$200 now) so they don’t have to cover a whole windshield (at least $500 for them later)? If this last one is true, will it still show up on my insurance as a claim? I’ve never had this happen before so I’m not sure what can and can’t be done with it.

TIA.

I had to replace the winshield on my 02 WRX because I waited to get it fixed, I turned on the defroster on the windshield and the crack went all the way across the windshield in about 3 seconds. It made a high shrill sound when it cracked the rest of the way. It scared the piss out of me. I had it replaced for $320 at safelite.

From what I read, your crack is on the passenger side?? If a crack or chip is in the driver's direct view, glass companies will not repair it. Even if it is repairable, you will be able to see the crack.

I'd just shop around and bite the bullet for a new windshield. Many places now will actually come to your home or work to replace it.

From what I read, your crack is on the passenger side?? If a crack or chip is in the driver's direct view, glass companies will not repair it. Even if it is repairable, you will be able to see the crack.

I'd just shop around and bite the bullet for a new windshield. Many places now will actually come to your home or work to replace it.

I was thinking about it... it's only $199 plus a possible $23 for trim for a whole new front windshield as compared to $60 to fix... but I think I'll just get it fixed and add a zero dudctible for windshield repair/replacment on my insurance incase it happens again.

It's all the way on the passangers side pretty close to the bottom and as far to the outside as it can get without being to the edge of the windshield (~1/2"). It's almost as far out of the view of the driver as possible.

If they don't end up repairing it, let me know. I got my windshield cheap as hell... even the one with the pony on it (like stock) and it is a $50 upgrade. They came to my house to repair it. It took a total of like an hour to do, and I was able to drive it right away!

i had a rock hit me, starred it, just to the left of my sight, but i still see it every day...they came out and fixed it so it wouldnt go further, but its still very noticeable. windshields and seatbelts are 2 things insurance will fix (for a deductable) and not raise your rates.

From what I read, your crack is on the passenger side?? If a crack or chip is in the driver's direct view, glass companies will not repair it.

Wrong... Many will do the repair depending on their repair process.

What insurance company do you have Jesse? I know most large insurance companies (minus State Farm) waive your deductable for a repair although you are responsible for the comp deduct on the replacement.

but I think I'll just get it fixed and add a zero dudctible for windshield repair/replacment on my insurance incase it happens again.

There is no "winshield deductable" you will have to change your comp deduct to $0. The state of Ohio does not have a glass waiver endorsement

There is no "winshield deductable" you will have to change your comp deduct to $0. The state of Ohio does not have a glass waiver endorsement

Well what do you know, my comprehensive deductible is zero. Time to talk to the insurance guy tomorrow. It's All State btw. Thanks for the info.

Well what do you know, my comprehensive deductible is zero. Time to talk to the insurance guy tomorrow. It's All State btw. Thanks for the info.

No problem.... I guess taking glass claims for a living while in school actually came in handy...hmmm

Wrong... Many will do the repair depending on their repair process.

Thank you for your emphatic "Wrong", so let me ammend:

Glass companies who understand the legal liability of said repair, will refuse to make a repair that is in the driver's direct line of site.

State farm has something. Always had all deductibles at 500, called them about cracked windshield, they had someone come to the house and fix it in the driveway. Worth a shot to call ins co.

Guest torqued69
I had to replace the winshield on my 02 WRX because I waited to get it fixed, I turned on the defroster on the windshield and the crack went all the way across the windshield in about 3 seconds. It made a high shrill sound when it cracked the rest of the way. It scared the piss out of me. I had it replaced for $320 at safelite.

hahaha that must have been quite an experience

Thank you for your emphatic "Wrong", so let me ammend:

Glass companies who understand the legal liability of said repair, will refuse to make a repair that is in the driver's direct line of site.

Once again, wrong.....

There is no legal liability of the repair. With most glass shops that do repairs if you don't like the repair or it fails, they will credit the cost to the replacement. I don't know what kind of liability you could be reffering to because 99% of the time the customer agrees to that repair. Also most glass shops repairs will pass BMV inspection in all 50 states ( I work for a glass company, I would quit while you are ahead)

State farm has something. Always had all deductibles at 500, called them about cracked windshield, they had someone come to the house and fix it in the driveway. Worth a shot to call ins co.

You probably had a repair. Lots of insurance companies waive the deductable for a repair. State Farm just recently stopped doing this. Some states have this special law where you can purchse something on your policy called a "glass waiver" which means that your deductable is waived for any glass work. States like Arizona, Minn., Mass., have this endorsement. Kentucky and South Carolina require that the deductable be waived for all glass and in Florida the deduct must be waived for the windshield only

Once again, wrong.....

There is no legal liability of the repair.

I worked for a company that was in the glass repair/replacement business. Our insurance would not allow us to do any repairs that were in the direct field of view as it is can be argued in court that a crack, or repaired crack, can be considered an obstruction of view.

Now, lets take a look at page 28 of the Ohio Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws:

Vehicle Equipment Regulations

GLASS

"All glass on a motor vehicle must be safety glass, free of discoloration or

diffusion, cracks and unauthorized obstructions."

I think now I will quit while I'm ahead!

I worked for a company that was in the glass repair/replacement business. Our insurance would not allow us to do any repairs that were in the direct field of view as it is can be argued in court that a crack, or repaired crack, can be considered an obstruction of view.

Now, lets take a look at page 28 of the Ohio Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws:

Vehicle Equipment Regulations

GLASS

"All glass on a motor vehicle must be safety glass, free of discoloration or

diffusion, cracks and unauthorized obstructions."

I think now I will quit while I'm ahead!

Then why does it pass inspection in ALL states?? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

When a crack is filled it is legal again.

Plus it doesn't matter what can be argued in court...once the customer agrees to it, that is it! I don't care what rinky dink glass shop you worked for, I work for the largest auto glass business in the nation

Then why does it pass inspection in ALL states?? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't care what rinky dink glass shop you worked for, I work for the largest auto glass business in the nation

My Bad, I should know better than to quote state motor vehicle regulations, and one of the largest insurance companies on the planet, to someone with those kind of credentials!

I hereby retract all previously posted information and thus acknowledge that LJ's posts are the Gospel truth.

BTW Thank you for what has to be one of the most rediculous things I have ever seen posted here. My Attorney friends will get a chuckle from this nugget of ignorance:

Plus it doesn't matter what can be argued in court...once the customer agrees to it, that is it!

My Bad, I should know better than to quote state motor vehicle regulations, and one of the largest insurance companies on the planet, to someone with those kind of credentials!

I hereby retract all previously posted information and thus acknowledge that LJ's posts are the Gospel truth.

BTW Thank you for what has to be one of the most rediculous things I have ever seen posted here. My Attorney friends will get a chuckle from this nugget of ignorance:

Go to a BMV inspector and ask them if a Safelite repaired windsheild will pass inspection, I guarantee they will say yes