Neighbor's WiFi - Would you connect?

Jackson1647545504

I would use it also. I have a WiFi Network set up at home with security. When I do a search of available networks, I have the options of 8 networks. Only 2 in the area have any security, mine is one of them. If they don't lock it up, they are giving it away to anyone. So go a head. I know a lot of people that do the same thing you are doing.

I look at it as share and take. I leave mine open, because I tend to be in other places hoping I can pick up a connection on my laptop. Just keep in mind, other people's stuff isn't always reliable, so don't assume it will always be there.

Type in 192.168.0.1 then at the login type "admin" in the user and "password" for the pasword, then secure the wireless with a WPA and give it a password you know. That way you lock them out and you have it all to yourself. :thumbup:

if you just surf the web they will probably never know you are there. do it. especially until you get your own connection.

I have thought about going in with a neighbor (or two) on wireless, 90% of the time I am not using my connection to its full potential. $20 a month is better than $40.

It is illegal to do this if you are caught. Decent penalites if I recall correctly.

That said, you'd be amazed at how many open connections there are around town!!

That's why my router is locked down with both the network key AND can only connect if the wireless router's MAC address is hardcoded into the router. :) That should help keep people off my shit.

Just wondering if there is any way of them telling if you are using it?

If it isn't secured, then more than likely they wouldn't know how to track it either :)

btw - i would use it :)

I intentionally leave my network open for people like you. If I were to notice a large drop in speed, I'd probably close it up. Since I dont use all the bandwith that I pay for, it makes me feel good giving away the extra (plus I love finding open networks when I'm away from home).

Link into it! Especially if you're my neighbor :)