What do you consider a fast daily driver. anyone have one?

Buck531

Just wondering here. What do you consider fast. I mean. The car you drive every day. EVERY day. No second car. No beater. The car that you drive 365 days a year.

I know most people here don't fit that description as they have a beater to fall back on while they're working on the car.

I don't. I mean, I could drive my wife's car, but she uses it. I'm putting in a cam tomorrow and should be sitting at a mid-high 12 second car (with slicks).

So, in your mind, what do you consider a fast daily driver? 13 seconds? faster?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always looking at the 250-300 hp and all wheel drive cars. EVO/STi, thats about as good as it gets with snow, rain, wind, and cold.

I agree thats a good range.

Blows my mind buck with the power you got. MY monte has traction issues with 241/315, I can only imagine yours

having a fast DD sucks, its nice to have a TURD SLOW daily driver (like a 4 cylinder wrangler) so that when you get in your fast car, it totally blows you away with power. that being said, a 4 cyl wrangler is probably TOO slow, since it cant go fast enough to merge with traffic and struggles to cruise at freeway speeds.

having a fast DD sucks, its nice to have a TURD SLOW daily driver (like a 4 cylinder wrangler) so that when you get in your fast car, it totally blows you away with power. that being said, a 4 cyl wrangler is probably TOO slow, since it cant go fast enough to merge with traffic and struggles to cruise at freeway speeds.

I've driven a 4 cyl wrangler and thought there was something worng with it but i guess they all suck that much.

Now after driving my buddies 05 sti w/ a TurboXS RFL T-back around all day today I would have to say that would be a sick ass daily driver. But it was a little to loud for me if I were to drive it everyday.

I agree thats a good range.

Blows my mind buck with the power you got. MY monte has traction issues with 241/315, I can only imagine yours

slicks FTW :).

As for the street. I don't stomp on it from a dead stop. That's a wheel peeler through the intersection. I normally let it roll out to about 15 or 20 and then get on it.

slicks FTW :).

As for the street. I don't stomp on it from a dead stop. That's a wheel peeler through the intersection. I normally let it roll out to about 15 or 20 and then get on it.

its more of a issue in the rain.

My DD is 12.50's on DR's spinning on every shift. I only change to a/s tires in the winter and there is no choke on the carb. I've had new cars...and the payments that go with them, but I never enjoyed driving them like I do my Camaro. I couldn't own a garage queen.

I drive my cobra eveyday - from sun to 2 feet of snow. Its probably low 13s to high 12s with good tires. I put snow tires on it in the winter and add some weight to the trunk. Has never let me down other than an engine failure when a rod broke in half for no reason.

13s make for a plesant daily.

My main concern with the daily is its manners. Everyone has a diferent tolerance of what they will drive on a daily basis. IIRC, there was a thread on here a while back about a gentleman from (britan?) that daily drives a car that makes 2k HP, is loud, and gets 5mpg if you baby it.

Others drive a vehicle with solid motor mounts, open exhaust, no AC, no interior, ect. on a daily basis. What are you willing to tolerate in a daily driver might be a more apropriate question.

it depends on what you want in a DD...are you the kind of person who is happy to go windows down or do you want AC? do you want a quiet, comfortable, businesslike ride where you may have to chauffeur clients around or do you not have that kind of job? is snow driving a concern to the point where you'd DEMAND awd? do you want high revving peppy stuff so you can get on it on the highway, or is it the kind of power you want down low so you can launch off the light? is MPG a concern?

for my purposes, my old Celica was a great DD even though it was ungodly slow just because it was a comfortable 2-door that handled like a dream. I like RSXes, but I also think a GP GTP is a great choice.