what are you thoughts on a acura rsx-s??

Rustlestiltskin

well I'm trying to look into getting a 4cly car to replace my daily and I found a good deal on an rsx-s. just wanted to know from the 4cly community on here what they think of it besides being a fwd car and a 4cyl. lol.. I know I'll get hounded on this somewhat but this will be my daily and I also wanted a lil pep and found this deal on the rsx-s. its a 2002 by the way. so if you guys got any pro's n cons about them just let me know. thanks

Paul

just get a 2000-2005 toyota celica gt-s 6 speed, they are cheaper, just as reliable and a bit quicker. Mine got about 25-28mpg city and 35 highway.

you really think a gt-s is quicker then a rsx-s. only way I can see this is if the celica weighs tremendously less then the rsx in which I didn't think it did.

celica gt-s:

Engine Size 1.8 liters / 110 cu. in.

Horsepower 180 @ 7600 rpm

Torque (lb-ft) 133 @ 6800 rpm

Curb Weight 2500 lbs.

0 to 60 mph 6.6 sec

EPA Fuel Economy - miles per gallon

city / highway / observed 24 / 32 / 25

rsx-s:

Engine Size 2.0 liters / 122 cu. in.

Horsepower 200 @ 7400 rpm

Torque (lb-ft) 142 @ 6000 rpm

Curb Weight 2767 lbs.

0 to 60 mph 6.0 sec

city / highway / observed 24 / 31 / 25

LOL, I think you might be a bit off there on ur logic but thanks for the advice

You'll be happier with an '03 Impreza or WRX. Go look out your window right now, you wouldn't need an e-brake to have fun in all that white stuff :)

Make sure its a late model one or you will get the shitty tranny.

We have an 04 we bought new in october 2003 and I will echo what the others have said.

Great handling, great interior (the seats rock), it actually has v8 like power from 6-8000 rpm- and will put you back in your seat - very surprising. Sounds mean up there too-

I missed the v8 torque though at all other rpms so I gave it to my wife.

Only problems in 98,000 miles were: drivers side door lock solenoid failed (25.00 fix myself), hvac illumination dim until you tap the dash on startup-dome light has started similar activity (loose connection somewhere), and ours also has a strange behavior that may be intended but if you leave it outside on a really really cold night we (every christmas as my wife and I stay over at the parents), when you get back in - it will take a while for the heater fans and vents to open- I guess I am used to older cars that will blow cold air until the engine heats up but I think the delay is a little excessive as engine temperature is good and it still takes a while until it will kick-in. No problems if garaged or not that cold outside. Tiny things-

Great car overall ! FWD is GREAT in the snow- like a tractor-

This is the only sporty FWD car I have driven for an extended period and I am not a big fan for performance driving- tough to launch hard and shift fast smoothly. If you spin it is hard to drive through it like rwd... I am sure if I would have stuck with it I would have learned the ropes but alas the wife wont let me touch it. That said though it isn't a dragster its a euro sporty car that is great on gas and great in the snow. requires premium fuel though. I have kicked around the idea of getting another one and putting a turbo, hondata, and a shifter in it- the only thing it lacks is power and unless you are used to v8s it will be more than enough.

AND to the subie drivers out there- no offense but I was not impressed on the test drive I did- I hammered it to the floor at a light with a WRX impreza and I had turbo lag so bad that it felt like a 2 cylinder through the entire intersection- once I got through the intersection it was decent but that was well after I had lost the mood. STI would have been cool but much more expensive.

SRT-4 neon I drove was much cheaper- could have got it brand new for 20k out the door- not impressed with build quality as the clutch was chattering after a single test drive- very fast though and it really did feel like a v8 at all rpms... handling was good but seemed unpredictable as I felt more safe in the RSX-S. Would have got this car but the viper style seats put my legs up into the bottom of the dash, (could have got the base seats) but I was afraid of the reliability even with the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty. A little too loud for me as well as it comes with no muffler! (ok with a v8 not a 4)

celica GTS is close but inferior in all categories. Honda FTMFW

Also with the seats folded down you can actually haul a lot for such a small car.

On a stock wrx turbo lag my ass. Maybe the car had a issue. The 2.5 sure the hell has no lag. No more lag then waiting till 6k for vtech.

The wrx don't wake up hardcore till you get a base tune on it honestly but I would take a wrx over a rsx anyday. It will out run it. It will also do better in the snow rain or anything else you threw at it.

The stock turbo spools up at 2-2.5k . Launched from a light with any bit of unf will put you in the seat.

you really think a gt-s is quicker then a rsx-s. only way I can see this is if the celica weighs tremendously less then the rsx in which I didn't think it did.

celica gt-s:

Engine Size 1.8 liters / 110 cu. in.

Horsepower 180 @ 7600 rpm

Torque (lb-ft) 133 @ 6800 rpm

Curb Weight 2500 lbs.

0 to 60 mph 6.6 sec

city / highway / observed 24 / 32 / 25

rsx-s:

Engine Size 2.0 liters / 122 cu. in.

Horsepower 200 @ 7400 rpm

Torque (lb-ft) 142 @ 6000 rpm

Curb Weight 2767 lbs.

0 to 60 mph 6.0 sec

city / highway / observed 24 / 31 / 25

LOL, I think you might be a bit off there on ur logic but thanks for the advice

Okay, I have driven an RSX-S and a Celica GT-S, celica handles better and is quicker I don't believe in those statistics of the 0-60 times. Mine ran a 14.7@98 with exhaust and short throw. I raced a few rsx-s in the celica and beat them. And a 300lb weight difference is a decent amount to make up for the celicas lack of hp. If you are looking to mod then yes the rsx is a better car to have, but you also have to shell out the extra 4-5 grand for one.

guys I understand that the wrx is better. turbocharged,awd, etc. etc. etc... but i'm not asking about opinions on a wrx. I'm asking opinions on an RSX type S. so please keep the "well a wrx would smoke a rsx anytime of the week in reverse" posts to urselves. thanks

Paul

yea thats a base model brian. I've found a type S model for around that price w/ just a little bit more miles in my local area but thanks for the lookout. if all goes well i'll hopefully be buying this today/tomorrow. took it for a testdrive yesterday, looked it over, and it seemed to have a few tasteful mods to it so i'm pretty pleased overall. keep the opinions comming though! I enjoy it

thanks,

Paul