Do you think you could handle an attacking dog?

Guest Hal

Another thread got me to thinking, do you think you could handle an attacking dog with your bare hands? I personally don't think anyone could easily take on a large breed working dog. So, could you do it? If yes, why do you think you could?

Christian, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are quick enough to react then it is very easy. If you punch/kick a dog hard enough in the jaw nose, they will back down alittle I would think. But I dunno, but I still think it is very plausible.

Werd. I'm thinking a swift kick to the lower jaw would get the job done. Otherwise, I'm gonna start snappin' legs. Do doubt I'd still get the shit bit out of me though. :(

It depends on too many things.

Something to think about though - dogs are pack animals, and they are easily scared. So long as they aren't foaming at the mouth, or trained otherwise (such as a police dog, I'm not talking about your average family pet) all you have to do is show them you aren't afraid of them, and that you are in charge. You don't necessarily have to beat them, just let them know that they don't want to attack you, and they will back off.

The vast majority of dogs that I have ever encountered, upon meeting me, are either scared of me or indifferent. The first time I met Thorne's dogs, they just kind of looked at me and sniffed me a bit, then forgot about me. He told me how they tend to snap at people they don't know, didn't do it to me. It's all about how you react to them. I'm used to dogs, know how to act around them, and they could tell.

Another example is my mom's dog. Half yellow lab half golden retriever. It's a big dog, could probably fuck me up pretty good, and its scared shitless of the world. I can't even get it to come up to me the first 15 minutes I'm at my mom's house.

Cliff's: A dog TRAINED to fight, I wouldn't want to fuck with. A family pet, or even a wild dog (without rabies), I wouldn't have any worries.

I actually had to when I was a child (I was around 14). A doberman was about to attack a small child I with the help of alot of luck punched the dog in the muzzle kinda of stunned the dog for just enough time for the owner to realize the dog was out and helped restrain the animal. I was very forunate that day.

If you are quick enough to react then it is very easy. If you punch/kick a dog hard enough in the jaw nose, they will back down alittle I would think. But I dunno, but I still think it is very plausible.

Guss would laugh at you. It really depends on the dog and the situation. If my dog felt you were going to harm my Wife or Son, or if you came at him in an aggressive manner, you would not have a chance in hell.

http://f10.putfile.com/thumb/8/23122552270.jpg

I was just thinking and playing with my dog and the neighbors mastiff. I say yes. My issues would be the stamina it would take to beat the fight out of a trained dog. Like stated a house dog will back off after you smack them in the nose a few times. A dog trained to fight or protect with its life would have to be dead in order to stop...

you will not be able to stop a large dog that is 'hell bent' on attacking you. i just finished amputating a lady's finger who got bit by her dog when its paw got stuck in a door. her hand is pretty much fucked up--it all happened so fast, she had no clue what was going on.

You say attack dog. But you dont specify.

So I will call a scenario...

If a police dog is coming at you the easiest way to stop it is to yell "De dons"

All police dogs are trained to learn Dutch commands. I learned this just a few weeks ago when the Swat & K9 units were hanging out in my parking lot at 11:00pm

Thats where I would start. But the are also trained to only respond to their partner (The officer). Id say you've got a 50/50 chance.

I guess I have in mind the dog I referenced in the other thread. A Fila Brasileiro has Ojeriza (a natural built in aversion to strangers). In short, if you are not its family, it doesn't care about pack mentality or you asserting you are alpha.

Small dog with small mouth/teeth yes/

But anything bigger unless you get a good shot in you better start running like hell!

I always say I could take my 100lb american bulldog just based out us playing around but I know if we were really going at it.. I would be missing a few fingers, chunks of skin and possibly have some crushed bones..

Depends on the dog and size, but my two dogs...not likely. well, they are older at age 7 & 10, but still, they would put a serious hurt on someone. Especially with adreneline and a protective instinct in place. They don't act old at all. Our dogs protectiveness went up one notch after we moved into our home and put up the fence. 3x once we had kids.

I've seen our female in a fight with another dog, a neighbor who had his flat-coated retriever off leash. He came over and while we still had her on leash heading out for a walk, she was off in a flash. Good thing Ares wasn't outside then as he absolutely goes nuts when they are together and facing another dog or a person like this past weeks event from my other thread.

Not for one moment did I ever expect her to have the power to yank that leash from me. Not once did I ever expect that amount of power. In that moment of hell bent fury, she let loose about 5x the strength I've ever seen her put forth with me even in a very rough play event....and that speed. I've never seen such speed in her ever.

Personally, I think everyone who thinks they could is way, way underestimating the strength pound per pound and force a dog can exude. Add in the speed and sharp teeth and you're going to get very hurt. Especially if the breed is a bite and tear vs bite and hold type.

I never saw her bite so damn fast. She snapped about a dozen or so times before me and Mickey could pull them apart. He got bit once by his dog and I got a serious sprain in my finger from Jasmine.

Again, in summary, I think their speed, strength and a viscous bite, which is nothing like what anyone sees during rough play and you might fend a medium sized dog off, but a 70lb or better dog is likely going to take a pipe or a weapon of some sort. There's a reason why even a Pit Bull at say 50-70lbs can be a deadly animal. Dogs are stronger than you think.

I think if you get one kick or punch in, you'd be lucky but once you're bit and all that strength is cutting you apart and pulling you like a rope, the pain, fear and adrenaline are going to seriously affect the average person's thinking. Panic will set in. If there's more than one dog, you're toast. I don't care what anyone thinks. Especially since they often feed energy off one another.

If someone wants to sign a waiver and make $100, come over to my place and see how they fair against my Bulldog.

Seriously, I wouldn't wish that upon someone. My dog is not professionally trained and is considered a "House Pet", but I can tell you this much, he would not back down or stop until it was over or I called him off.

I had a buddy, a big guy too, come over and rough play with our female and took me on that she couldn't knock him down or get the rope that he was playing with out of his hand. He's about 6'5" and 230lbs and pretty built.

He was wrestling with her outside in the back yard swinging the rope taunting her, all in good fun. She did one of those runs around the yard and charged him. He literally stuck one forearm out to block her and the other out to the side with the rope in it with a death grip. she jumped, grabed the rope and literally pulled him on his ass like God himself knocked him down. Once she had the rope she tugged and pulled him across the grass until he let go. It was classic.

Needless to say, he was impressed.

If someone wants to sign a waiver and make $100, come over to my place and see how they fair against my Bulldog.

Seriously, I wouldn't wish that upon someone. My dog is not professionally trained and is considered a "House Pet", but I can tell you this much, he would not back down or stop until it was over or I called him off.

Can I bring brass knuckles ?

Here's a classic of my two in a buddies backyard. Taken with a shitty toss away film camera.

Quite a hard hit. Jasmine was trying to hold her ground in the pool. Ares had no part of close contact wrestling with her. He instead did a shot burst and jumped her, knocking her clean out of the pool.

Fucking knocked her on her ass :D:D

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/6070513.jpg

Don't Fuck with my Christmas Gifts

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/9017250.jpg

Ares is a jumper too. He's not a bit your arm dog. He will litterally jump 2-3 feet up and hang from trees for fun. He's a bit crazy like that.

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/33931528.jpg

How many of you have a 20" neck?

I see lots of bull-dog like body builders who can lift a boat load more than me. Now compact that into a 75lb dog who wears a 20" collar. Not something I'd want to have bit and pulling on me. Especially one with a snub nose snout.

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/33931529.jpg

I will have to set up my camera and show the two of them on command coming at me just fucking with them with a wet towel. She they litterally scare me and have torn a wet face towel in half with just a couple tugs. Once they get it in mouth, and both pull, it's gone. I'm off work with week, maybe I'll kill some time :p

Hehe okay okay. I wouldn't want to fight a large aggressive wolf. I'm sure I'd win, but I'd take some serious damage killing it and if I'm way out in the wilderness I could likely die from infection or bleed to death. As for domesticated dogs. Come on unless they seriously out weigh you they are domestic animals with the mental capacity of a 4 or 5 year old human.

First thing I'm gonna do is see if I can choke out the animal and/or dislocate its neck or arms. Yes I studied dog anatomy when I was way to far into martial arts and I also used to test nerve points and have even choked out my own dog. Little guy though so no match for a human.

Secondly if that doesn't work and/or its a particularly nasty dog and gets its mouth around my leg/arm Its gonna loose both eyes real fast or maybe just get its skull fractured. Or snout. If that doesn't work then it gets my arm rammed down its throat.

Really guys its a dog. You think it will show you mercy? HELL NO, if you lose your its lunch so be vicious.

Mikes right about dogs in packs. Though that normally only applies with wild dogs, wolves, and dogs in homes where an alpha male has been established.

Same thing when fighting a human. You better give it your all or the enemy might be willing to end your life when you've given up. Thats the most important lesson in self defense.

I'd be much more afraid of an 80lb cat then a 200 lb dog. Much smarter and they have many more weapons/tactics to kill you with.

Evan