If you were 19...

Rally Pat

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also depends on your debt to triple post ratio.

I see what you did there... clever you, I chuckled.

Oh and no I wouldn't get into a car payment now. If you want a toy there are alot of option's that wont get you into debt or at least into making a car payment as long as you do everything smart.

I see what you did there... clever you, I chuckled.

Oh and no I wouldn't get into a car payment now. If you want a toy there are alot of option's that wont get you into debt or at least into making a car payment as long as you do everything smart.

Thats the thing though, I'm not looking for a toy. I am looking for something that would be a reliable daily driver, that I could autocross on the weekends if I wanted to, without fear of immediate breaking.

Thats the thing though, I'm not looking for a toy. I am looking for something that would be a reliable daily driver, that I could autocross on the weekends if I wanted to, without fear of immediate breaking.

There are much better option's out there that buying a 15k$ car. Hell if you wanted an autocross car you could easily pick up a miata (dont laugh) for cheap, a thousand in mods and you could easily drive it daily and autocross it. Obviously this wouldn't be the best car in shitty weather but despite living in Ohio you dont have to deal with shitty weather as much as other places.

If I had to do it all over again; no, I wouldn't.

I bought my vette at 19. Full time student. Full time job (had to, to be able to afford it), lived at home. No other responsiblities. Sounded like a good idea at the time.

Don't get me wrong. It's been a blast, but I still kick myself in the ass everyday for doing it. The interest has worn off, and I've got other things I'd rather be putting my money towards.

Cliffs: Don't do it.

im with austin

i got a job making decent money when i was 18 delivering pizza. i was making 15$/hr between tips/hourly, and working 40 hours a week. 10 of it was tax free. i went and bought a new car, about 11k new plus tax, title, gap ins, etc. my payments were 235/mo, and with a loan, you MUST keep full coverage. thats something else you need to factor in. i think in the end, it came up to about 450 a month. it wasnt bad at the time, because i lived at home until a month before i turned 21, but then when i decided to move out, i had to factor in a 450$/mo payment into my bills. i would have much rather bought something for 3-4k and paid it off in a year or two, and only had a small insurance payment

now, ive gotten my new car payment and insurance to 325/mo, and its easier, but i still wish i didnt have a car payment

i say save up your money, drive what you have if theres no problem with it, and buy a fun car in a few years once your out of school. at least then, youll have a good job to fund your toys, because you WILL want to mod it.

It's all about balancing your priorities. If your main focus is school and doing well in it, buy a good, reliable daily that will get you to your classes on time, safely and without worrying about whether it's going to break on your way there. I had my first auto loan at 19 and bought a car that I knew was going to be good for me financially and it worked out perfectly for the time I had it that it got me back and forth to my job that was my main priority.

After my divorce I had to refinance my car (which added another year to my loan) and I now have around 3 payments left and look forward to saving that extra $400/mo.

I have a pretty high credit rating, thanks to my student loans and my credit card.

I'm not looking at a Cobra. I have my eye on an 03 WRX.

I can give you 300 reasons to get a wrx. If you want to see them come on over.

First If its not a late model year wrx walk away. No RUn unless you got allot of money to drop into a Tranny. also you can pick up them up 11-13k If you look.

I am not ruling out Impreza RS's too, btw. I love the way they look, and they are dirt cheap.

To be honest, I am just sick of old cars.

The Mustang is fast, but its old and rusty, and the Saturn is A) Not my car, its my grandparents' and B) still trying to sort out the transmission issue.

Guest Drew The Pirate
I'm paying $300 a month for my car. I've only had it for 8 months of my two year loan, and it's a bit of an inconvenience, but it's not breaking my pocketbook or anything. Depends on how long your loan is.

If I had to do it all over again; no, I wouldn't.

I bought my vette at 19. Full time student. Full time job (had to, to be able to afford it), lived at home. No other responsiblities. Sounded like a good idea at the time.

Don't get me wrong. It's been a blast, but I still kick myself in the ass everyday for doing it. The interest has worn off, and I've got other things I'd rather be putting my money towards.

Cliffs: Don't do it.

I have to say, I do the same thing everyday. I wish I would've done differently, even as much as I love my car.

Guest mrhobbz
I have a pretty high credit rating, thanks to my student loans and my credit card.

I'm not looking at a Cobra. I have my eye on an 03 WRX.

Define High.. Buy something under 10g's, I would damn near bet you don't have job security at the moment, you loose a job how are you going to pay for that wrx?

Define High..

Classified information, but let me put it this way, its higher than that of the guy who narrates the FreeCreditReport.com commercials.

Buy something under 10g's, I would damn near bet you don't have job security at the moment, you loose a job how are you going to pay for that wrx?

I can honestly say I have job security. As for under 10g's, like I said, Impreza RS.

Why do I have my heart set on a Scooby you ask? Well, for starters, we live in Ohio. Second, the things are nice cars, inside and out, and easy to maintain.

I wouldn't do it even if I didn't buy a Cobra. I really wish I was out of debt right now. Honestly, I've thought a lot about selling the car just to have that extra $300 a month. Get through school with what you have, then get something new.