If you were 19...

Rally Pat

still trying to sort out the transmission issue.

What's it doing?

But yeah I wouldn't start a car payment. I wish I didn't have a tool payment, let alone a car payment. I pay the Snap-On guy $280 a month.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's honestly not worth it. The itch of having something better than what you have is very tempting, but you need to ignore it. You have plenty of time to upgrade later on. Why by a cheaper car now, when you can afford a more expensive one in a few years?

Patience is the key young grasshopper.

i agree with mostly everyone on here. we know what it is like because we have been through it. I was 18 and signed my first loan, it was for a 2000 civic ex. i paid 12,000 for it.

I was a the office manager of Mr. Mulch on 161. I moved up quick and ended up blowing by school because i had something better at the time. I really regret not going to school, because i had way too much going on as to where i couldnt not work and go to school.

At this time i still had my very first car, a 1987 dodge shadow, granted the car was a piece, but it got me to where i needed. It took miles off of the civic when i didnt want to drive it.

After two years of having the civic i ended up buying a 91 tsi awd talon for 900. worst decision ever. So i then bought the Rx-7. Loan went through on this while i still had civic and everything. Next day i go to work and i was fired. I went in for our regular monday morning meeting at 6am and come to find out i no longer have a job.

Things can turn on a dime and screw you. I had the best credit rating, money and everything yet that can go away in an instant.

So all in all, if i had to do it again i wouldnt. For you i would suggest buying a 4,000 -5,000 car and pay that off first. when that happens sell it, buy something more expensive and so on. this way you do not wrap yourself up in a long term loan, and its not something to god awful expensive. You credit stays good and you dont over work yourself and take time away from school.

My 19 yr old sister is going through this right now as well. She's had a decent '98 Neon for the last two years she bought from my girlfriend for under $2k and it's just now getting to the point where it's no longer a reliable car, but it served her very well for the last two years. She went with my parents and fell in love with an '04 RX-8 and had trouble understanding why she couldn't get approved for a $19k car when she's working, going to school full-time and has other money coming in from my step-father's military disability. It came down to lack of credit. She's now looking at $8-10k cars and is still kinda screwed because my parents don't have the best credit rating so they cannot co-sign for her. It would be better to take the money she has saved for her down-payment and use her car to trade for something around $4-6k and keep it for a few years and then upgrade once she's established more credit. I've tried to help her realize that she doesn't want to spend everything she makes on a car payment & insurance, but it's not sinking in.

Buy something kinda middle of the road, drive it, pay it off, and upgrade later when your resources and budget aren't as limited would be my advice.

What about taking out a small loan that I could pay back quickly, and getting one of those?

If you've used the same bank for a while, I'd talk to them first. Don't try financing a $5k car at a dealership as most will probably try to gouge you on the rate since it'll most likely be secondary financing on that price range of a car. I only say this because for $5k, either the car will be a bit older and/or have a bit more mileage than most primary banks would offer top tier finance rates for. Your bank knows you, and your financial history with them. They know what you have coming in and going out every month. They may be more likely to do a "signature" type of loan with you.

Just one suggestion. I'm sure you'll get more.

What's it doing?

But yeah I wouldn't start a car payment. I wish I didn't have a tool payment, let alone a car payment. I pay the Snap-On guy $280 a month.

The clutch that floats in between drive and reverse is obliterated (guy at the Northend Wrench who was a Saturn tech told me this). Apparently its a common problem on the first Saturns. I went to Cantley's, got a new tranny, and the new tranny I have doesn't work.

Ok, I have pretty much ruled out the WRX, but there are quite a few nice RS's on AutoTrader for about 5k.

What about taking out a small loan that I could pay back quickly, and getting one of those?

I think thats a great idea. The RS Is a awesome little car and peppy for what it is. I know for a fact they are quick in the dirt as the guys I do my :Drives: with the fastest one there is on a 2.5i Impreza with allot done to the suspension. Go for something mild now and later do what ever the hell you want :)

Ok, I have pretty much ruled out the WRX, but there are quite a few nice RS's on AutoTrader for about 5k.

Dont get a loan for a $5k car. Save up as much as possible. You have a decent job and Im assuming still live at home so you should at least be able to do that much.

Just understand that you have to approach this as a fiscal problem and not an emotional one. Unfortunatly people buy cars on emotion. Buying a car is a big investment (I never said it was a GOOD investment) of your money and you definitly shouldn't let emotion's get involved no matter how sexy that *insert car here* is. There will be a time and place for it eventually but right now probably isnt the smartest thing in the world. God i wish someone had told me this when I was 19.

I regret it, I got my car when i was 18. Over the last year it really put a drain on me. But now that I have good job, I am able to make the payments and they really dont hurt me. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten a $5k fox or a $10k 98 cobra. I would recomend avoiding a payment as long as possible.

If I was 19 again, with a decent paying job, I would:

But a beater honda or acura

Spend saved gas money on spring break, concerts, booze, babes, ect.

Maintain a low level of responsibility

Eventually dump a load in a some chic with rich parents

If I was 19 again, with a decent paying job, I would:

But a beater honda or acura

Spend saved gas money on spring break, concerts, booze, babes, ect.

Maintain a low level of responsibility

Eventually dump a load in a some chic with rich parents

Good idea... I am working on that now!

buy a beater.....i drive a beater i paid 800 for and have only had one problem and it was only a couple hour fix....cheap gas and insurance!@!!! or get a car payment like my girlfriend has and have no money to blow on dumbshit

I got a 4k loan just to build credit; i pay $60-70 a month, usually less since I stay ahead of payments. That's how I bought the Starion (paid much less, extra was just for the stuff it would need once I got it.). It's kind of a pain sometimes, but in the end, I'm happy with the car thusfar. I've decided to keep it too haha. A small loan would be my recommendation, but we are talking about it since you're around.