Dont you regret it?

HotCarl

Ok, after reading the "how much do you have in your car" thread I have to ask. Doesnt anyone ever regret it?

For all the thousand's and thousand's of dollars spent doesnt anyone ever realize that "hey I could've saved that money bought a house, or invested in my retirement, or saved for my kids college education, etc..."??? I mean we can all admit that this hobby is an expensive one. But hell I use to think Hockey was an expensive hobby to get into its nothing compared to this.

Reason why I ask is because after a while of not having a car that was worth modifying I picked up a car that was. The first question I had from people was, "what are you going to do to it" NOTHING, Im keeping the damn thing stock. I bought this car because I've always loved the body style and always wanted this car. I dont know I guess I just cant see myself spending 10 grand on something that Im not really going to benefit from in the long run. Maybe Im just getting old?

Ok, after reading the "how much do you have in your car" thread I have to ask. Doesnt anyone ever regret it?

For all the thousand's and thousand's of dollars spent doesnt anyone ever realize that "hey I could've saved that money bought a house, or invested in my retirement, or saved for my kids college education, etc..."??? I mean we can all admit that this hobby is an expensive one. But hell I use to think Hockey was an expensive hobby to get into its nothing compared to this.

Reason why I ask is because after a while of not having a car that was worth modifying I picked up a car that was. The first question I had from people was, "what are you going to do to it" NOTHING, Im keeping the damn thing stock. I bought this car because I've always loved the body style and always wanted this car. I dont know I guess I just cant see myself spending 10 grand on something that Im not really going to benefit from in the long run. Maybe Im just getting old?

I always want to go faster. No regret.

Oh and I should say its really all relative. To the 19 y/o kid who spend 5grand he doesnt really have to dump into his DSM, Mustang, Camaro, etc... To the 35y/o professional who drops 25grand into his vette. Its not about the actual money its about the fact that your 'investing' in something that will give absolutly no return other than a "speed fix".

which car are you referring to the contour or the jetta.lol

I have everything you just said. If I didnt have and outlet like a modded car or a bike i would go insane...it is my medicine personally. I make enough to where I have everything you said...retirement,home, etc....so I am not worried about it...

Not really. If all this money wasn't spent foolishly on cars, then it would be spent foolishly elsewhere. Besides, it's my money, so I'll spend it how I like, foolish or not. Regardless, regret rarely, if ever, enters my thinking.

I've been building cars since I was 18 and don't regret it at all. The way I see it, I only live once and I'm going to make the most of it. Do what you enjoy. I will also say the hobby helped give me the drive that I have today and helped to become who I am. Cars were my addiction and I did everything I could to get the best car and the best performance part(s) I could afford.

which car are you referring to the contour or the jetta.lol

I have everything you just said. If I didnt have and outlet like a modded car or a bike i would go insane...it is my medicine personally. I make enough to where I have everything you said...retirement,home, etc....so I am not worried about it...

HA, good point. No I bought a 98 Gst, I just havent updated my information yet. Like I said before, I wasnt asking if anyone could afford it. Just if you regretted spending so much on it? Like Brian and yourself (which are good examples), you obviously took care of your priorities first but dropping 10- 20 thousand on an LSX FD, or how ever much money Brian spent on his Firebird, I just dont know if i could do it. I guess I just look at it as a hobby and not a lifestyle. I can imagine more economical hobbies though.

Well let me put it this way...I was going to buy a vette...so that would have been 25k to 45k depending on which I got. I see it as saving money by doing the FD.lol.But I allot myself so much money on my toys and hobbies...i havent had a fast car in the past 5 years. Ive had bikes but I always made money on them...never lost...

I don't really have a lot of money in either of them, and both my Mustangs are in the unique position where they are either gaining value or just not losing it (due to what they are), so it doesn't bother me at all... :)

Guest GMoney
I would be lieing if i didn't say at one point i wish i didn't spend all this money on cars, but i can think of a thousand way more stupid things that millions of people spend money on everyday, Beer, drugs, gambling, are three that come to mind quikly. Yes i drink, yes i gamble, but not like some people, i go to the bar to have fun not spend 100 a night then bitch the whole next day about it then repeat the following night. That is a nice car payment to me.

Guest GMoney

Acceleration in a fast car or a hard corner give me a rush the same way that some one that pays money to jump from a airplane, but when its over i still have a nice fast car.

i think we all agree on this.

I don't have anything "in my car" like folks here mod theirs but I do have money in it. I sold my Accord that was paid for and then leased the GXP. I regret it at times, but then as the Caddy commercial says, when I turn on my car, she returns the favor :D She's a much more fun car to experience than my Honda. However, the Accord was decked out and a nicer ride in the end.

What I also sometimes regret is taking some of the money from the Accord and putting it into other hobbies that are pricey...like photography gear. However, I don't want to go around regretting my hobbies if that's what brings me enjoyment during my times of play.

You did make me calculate based on my car telling me how many hours the engine has run that I'm averaging 1.5hrs per day over the past 2.5 years in my car. So in the end, is the cost of my GXP and gas, insurance, worth it? Now I'm thinking not really. :( That will change on my ride home tonight though. :p Now when I break down all the costs (roughly) per hour of engine on time I've had....it's about $18 per hour....far cheaper than the cost per hour to have sex with my wife. I don't want to know what that costs me :eek:

ryan your not going to mod my old car? I think you should aleast put that tranny to use that I bought for that car, should do a mild turbo upgrade ect and still have a daily driver that has some kick.

I thought about it but going from a 4 cylinder Jetta to the Eclipse was a big leap. I think since I picked it up a month ago I've driven it 3-4 times. As for plans, I probably wont mod it for a while. Most likely until its paid off. I've given some thought as to what I might do. Maybe a simple 14b setup with a large sidemount and a 50shot for shits and giggles. Im not looking for huge numbers or crazy ET's, really just glorified stock something to give a bit more 'pep'. Not to mention when I start thinking of the supporting mods and everything that goes into a big turbo setup... nah I'll pass :) For now im just enjoying the car on sunday drives.

I think about this every single day. I am in college too to make it worse. I have about $10K wrapped up in my 1G. To add to that, I am ordering coilovers within the next month. I do not regret my hobby at all. It's a blast to modify and drive these toys.

I am however giving it until the end of this year to decide if I want to keep the 1G or temporarily get out of the hobby until after college.

I sometimes think why did I just spend that money, then I line up next to someone an run the doors off em an instantly I'm back to feeling better about my spending habbit an hey boost is addicting why not!

I'm kind of the opposite. When I beat someone, I'm content with the $$$ spent because I won. Now when I loose I think all my $$$ spent was a waist, but since I don't want to loose again, I spend more to make sure it doesn't happen again. The cycle never stops!